Colored Union Baptist Church

As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), p. 386

The Colored Union Baptist Church was organized March 22, 1857, at a meeting held at the house of Charles Ware, with Elder J. J. Fitzgerald, Chairman, and William McGee, Clerk. At this meeting, articles of faith and a church covenant were adopted. The following were the constituent members: Charles Ware, Lewis Price, William McGee, Sarah Ware, Louisa Price and Ailsey Thomas. Lewis Price was appointed Deacon; Charles Ware and Lewis Price, Trustees; Charles Ware, Treasurer. The congregation purchased of Mr. Bullock the frame schoolhouse, located on the corner of Main and Tenth streets, which they moved to Campbell street, between Eleventh and Twelfh, and used as a house of worship, J. J. Fitzgerald officiating as minister. The lot was donated to the congregation by Charles Ware. Subsequently, the old building was sold and a larger meeting-house erected. The congregation has at present neither Pastor, nor do they hold regular services. The members visit the First Baptist Church, and occasionally Rev. Mr. Rowley preaches to them in their own church. A Sunday school, with an average attendance of 100, is still kept up. The church property is estimated at $1,000. The house is well furnished, and supplied with a good organ.



Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Back to the Racine Co. Churches & Temples page