Biographies of early Welsh Settlers to Racine



These biographies are from "The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, IA. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes, Editors. 1895.

Bumford, Richard R. (Page 162) Born at Mount Pleasant, Racine County, Wis., October 26, 1856. His parents were David and Eleanor Bumford. The mother died in May, 1860. Richard was educated at the district school of his native place and at the Racine High School. Came to Blue Earth County in March, 1876, where he remained teaching country schools for two years. He then removed to the Welsh settlement in Lyon County, and in 1882 was elected register of deeds of that county, which office he held for six years. Since that time he has been engaged with grear success in the real estate, loan and insurance business at Marshall, Minn. Married Miss Lucy Lewis, of Wyoming County, N. Y., in June, 1886.

Cheshire, Isaac (Page 162) Born at Caernedde, about four miles west of Oswestry, Shropshire, England, in 1830. Offa's Dyke {a boundary ditch from the late 700s constructed in order to mark the border between England and Wales} passed through his father's farm. He emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1846. About 1860, at Racine, Wis., he married Miss Ellen Davies, who was a native of Denbighshire, Wales. For two or three years during the war he was employed in the Department of the Interior in Washington. He then held the position of deputy revenue collector at Milwaukee for about a year. In 1866 he removed to Mankato, Minn., where he worked dor one year in the employ of Isaac Marks. He then formed a co-partnership with William Jones, as Cheshire & Jones, in general merchandise. The firm dissolved in 1875, and Mr. Cheshire was employed in the auditor's office of Blue Earth County, and for a few years prior to his death was deputy county auditor. He had a very remarkable talent as a bookkeeper, being one of the best accoutants Blue Earth County ever had. He was also a fine singer and a member of the famous Cambrian quartette, of which Prof. John P. Jones, of Chicago; W. W. Davis, of South Bend, and R. J. Thomas, late of Mankato, were the other members. He was a patron and ardent admirer of the Eisteddfod and of all musical and literary societies. He died suddenly of heart disease May 21st, 1882. Miss Mary E. Cheshire, of Cincinnati, O., is now his only surviving child.

Daniel, R. E. (Page 163) Born in Llangeitho, South Wales, May 18th, 1844. Parents, Evan and Mary Daniel. Emigrated with parents to Racine, Wis., 1848. Parents, Evan and Mary Daniel. Emigrated with parents to Racine, Wis., 1848. Mother died in 1850. Lived on farm with grandparents, Roderick and Catherine Evans, for six years, then worked for other farmers; afterwards went to Racine and learned the blacksmith trade. Enlisted in Company "F", Twenty-second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry August 9thh, 1862, and served until end of the war. Mustered out at Washington, D.C., June 12th, 1865. Engaged in real estate and insurance soon after close of war. Married Mary E. Lewis, Berlin, Wis., for twenty-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel, three sons and two daughters, moved to Minneapolis in May, 1887. Mrs. Daniel died December 1st, 1887. Mr. Daniel married Jeannette M. Jones, of Berlin, Wis., June 11th, 1890. He is now and has for the past fifteen years been engaged in the business of adjuster and fire insurance losses. He is interested in music and has taken prizes as a soloist and conductor in several musical conventions, and has served as ajudicator of music at the Minneapolis Eisteddfod.

Daniel, T. R. (Page 164) The subject of this sketch was born October 7th, 1846, at Llangeitho, Cardiganshire, South Wales. In 1848 he came with his parents, Evan and Mary Daniel, to Racine, Wis., and spent several years of his boyhood with his grandfather, Roderick Evans, at Mount Pleasant. When eighteen years old he went to Fox Lake, Wis., where he lived for fifteen years and was engaged in the mercantile business. In 1869 he married Mary I. Trimble, and ten years later went to Oshkosh, Wis., where he remained for two years, engaged in the insurance business. In March, 1882, he took a traveling position with the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company, and the following year moved to Minneapolis and was given the state agency for Minnesota and North and South Dakota for the same company, and is still in the employment of the company. From 1889 to 1894 he had charge of the company's office at Minneapolis, also the company's local business. Mr. Daniel takes a great interest in music, and was a member of the duet which secured the prize at the Racine Eisteddfod in 1882. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity.

Davies, David J. (Page 168) Born at Llangristiolus, Anglesea, Wales, March 31st, 1814. Oldest son of John and Catharine {sic} Davies, who were poor but pious people and gave their young son the rich legacy of a religious training. In early life he worked on farms and read all the books he could find. At this time a parson of the English church named Isaac Jones took much interest in the studious youth and urged him to join the English church and study for the ministry, but he was too deeply rooted in the Calvanistic Methodist faith to comply with the parson's conditions. About 1840 he went to work in the quarries of Llanberis, and there when about 27 years old he united with the C. M. Church of Cefnywaen {Cefn-y-waun}. He spent some time at Merthyr Tydfil {Merthÿrtudful}, but in August, 1844, being thrown out of work with 300 others, he emigrated to America and stayed for some time near Racine, Wis., then at Beloit for three years, and then located on a farm at Proscairon, Wis. April 22nd, 1848, he married Gwen, daughter of the late Rev. D. J. Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Davies had always longed for the missionary field, and a door was opened for them in the call of the Presbyterian Board for teachers of Indians in Nebraska {said to be Omahas elsewhere in the book}. Leaving their farm in the spring of 1853 they crossed the wild country to their field of labor among these Indians. There they toiled faithfully and efficiently until the summer of 1860, when they returned to Proscairon. In the summer of 1861, they removed to Beaver Township, Filmore County, Minn., where they located on a farm. Mr. Davies died September 22, 1891, leaving surviving his saintly wife and three children, Hugh, Walter and Claudia (now widow of the late William H. Thomas). Mr. Davies was a man of strong intellectual grasp, who by wide reading and careful study had become well posted in scriptural and secular knowledge. He was also possessed of a most excellent Christian spirit, which greatly endeared him to all that knew him.

Davies, Rev. Richard (Page 178) Born at Llanwaddelan {Llanwÿddelan}, Llanullugan {sic; = Llanllugan} parish, Montgomeryshire, Wales, January 1st, 1804. His parents were named Richard and Mary Davies. Married, in Montgomeryshire in 1835, Miss Jane Herbert, sister of the late Owen Herbert, of Blue Earth County. Emigrated to Jackson County, O., in the spring of 1837. There he began preaching in 1840 with the Calvanistic Methodist churches. In April, 1842, he went on a trip through Wisconsin to inspect that then new county. He reached Racine about June 1, and finding a few Welsh families located on farms about 4 or 5 miles south of the village, he preached to them and about the last of June or first of July he organized fifteen of these people into a church and then returned to his home in Ohio. In the fall of 1843 he removed to Racine, Wis., where he lived until 1852, when he went to La Crosse, Wis. He was ordained April 16, 1854, at Racine, Wis., by a Congregational council. In July, 1855, he came to South Bend, Minn., and there on August 1, 1855, organized a Union church, in which he ministered for some time. June 24, 1856, he organized Saron church of Le Sueur county. July 2, 1856, he also organized the Calvanistic Methodist church of Horeb, in the present town of Cambria, Minn. In October of this year, while he was away at La Crosse on a business visit, his house at South Bend was burned, and his wife in attempting to save a few things perished in the flames. He had just started a mill at South Bend at this time, but this sad catastrophe so completely upset him and, added to his rather poor business ability, caused his business venture to fail, and the financial embarrassments that followed harrassed him thereafter for many years. In the spring of 1858 he married Miss Elen Williams, of Milwaukee, Wis., and moved his residence to Sharon, Le Sueur County, where he remained until the summer of 1862, when he located on a claim in the Crow River country. The Indian outbreak soon followed and he and his wife fled back to LeSueur County and abandoned their claim forever. Mr. Davies had a very narrow escape from the savages at this time. After the first scare he with a few neighbors ventured back to their homes, from Henderson, whence they had fled, to look after their stock and to gather provisions for the winter. Suddenly one morning a band of Indians made a raid upon them and killed a number of Mr. Davies' nearest neighbors and made hot pursuit after him, but in passing over a ridge he got out of their sight for a few moments and improved these in hiding in a slough, where he lay until dark and then made his way to Henderson. As soon as the Indian trouble was over he located on a farm near Blue Earth City {sic} and in 1874 moved to Mankato, where July 24, 1887, he died at a good age, leaving him surviving his devoted wife. During most of his ministerial career he was in the employ of the Home Missionary Society of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches. He also ministered for the Calvanistic Methodists for some time. He preached the first Welsh sermon in Minnesota and probably west of the Mississippi. It was claimed that he also preached the first Welsh sermon in Wisconsin and Illinois. The many flourishing churches which he organized attest that the labours of this worthy pioneer of pioneers were not in vain in the Lord.

Davis, Sr., William W. (Page 180) Born at Rhiwlas, Llanfihangel {= Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa}, Montgomeryshire, Wales, January 23rd, 1829. His parents were William and Alice Davis. His ancestors on his father's side had resided at Rhiwlas over 400 years. He was one of nine children, all of who with his parents emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1848. He married Ellen, daughter of John and Elizabeth Baxter at Racine May 9th, 1848, and on April 21st, 1858, removed to South Bend, Minn., where he engaged in the mercantile business. Removed to Mankato about 1865 and was in business ever since. He has also been postmaster for a number of years. He was one of the charter members and first deacons of South Bend Congregational church and for many years superintendent of its Sabbath school. Has been a prominent singer and was a member of the famous Cambrian quartette {sic}.

Edwards, Hugh (Page 181) Born at Dolgelly (Dolgellau), Merionethshire, Wales, in 1810. Married Miss Elizabeth Evans, at Dolgelly, in 1840 and the two came to the United States soon after their marriage and located at Remsen, N.Y. In the spring of 1847 they moved to Racine, Wis., and thence in the following year to Emmet, Wis. In June, 1855, they came to Judson, Blue Earth County, Minn., where Mr. Edwards died, August 27, 1872. He was honest, industious and religious. He was a deacon of the Congregational Church at Emmet, Wis., and with the Welsh Wesleyan Church at South Bend. His children are: Hugh H. Edwards, John Edwards and Daniel Edwards, of Judson, Minn., and Mrs. Margaret Roberts, deceased.

Edward, John (Page 183) Farmer, born at Steuben, N.Y., November 24, 1845. Removed to Racine, Wis., when two years old and hence to Emmet, Wis., and in June, 1855, he came to Blue Earth County, Minn. Enlisted August 18th, 1861, in Company E, Ninth Minnesota Volunteers, and served with his regiment in every march. skirmish and battle until the close of war. At the battle of Spanish Fort, near Mobile, he was wounded in the left knee. December 1865, married Jane, daughter of John P. Jones, of Judson. Since the war he has lived on his farm in the town of Judson. His children are: Hugh, Thomas, Henry, David, William, George and Charles.

Evans, Rev. William E. (Page 195) Born at Cefn Caer {Cefn-caer}, Pennal, Merionethshire, Wales, May 5th, 1862, son of Lewis and Catherine Evans, educated at Aberystwyth {Aberystwÿth} College and at the Bala C.M. Theological Seminary. He then went to Edinburgh University, Scotland, for a portion of three years, but on account of failing health was obliged to leave before fully completing his course. March 4th, 1890, he married Miss Margaret Ellen Hughes, of Bala, Wales. Emigrated to America in the spring of 1890 and located first at Racine, then at Waukesha and then at Milwaukee. In December, 1894, he accepted a call to the C. M. church of Mankato, Minn., and began his pastoral charge there on January 1st, 1895. He has had a religious training from his youth, and began preaching at his home church when 18 years old, and at the age of 20 he was licensed by the synod. He is fast winning prominence as one of the ablest preachers in his denomination.

Jones, Rev. Richard G. Born May 14, 1818, in Dyffryn Ardudwy {Dyffrÿn Ardudwÿ}, Merionethshire, Wales. Son of John and Gwen Jones (Caegarw). February, 1841, he married Ellen, daughter of William Jones, of Pantgwyn {Pant-gwÿn}, Llanegryn {Llanegrÿn}, and a month later emigrated to America. After a short stay at Newark, O., they came to Racine, Wis., where they made another short sojourn and removed to Waukesha, where Mr. Jones began preaching. {In the list of portraits as Rev. R. G. Jones (Shakopee)}. After four or five years he moved to Blue Mounds, Wis., and while residing here was ordained to the full work of the ministry by the Synod of the C.M. churches, which convened in June, 1850, at Seion church, Welsh Prairie, Wis. In 1860 he moved to Cleveland, Le Sueur county, and was prominent in organizing Elim church. He ministered to the Welsh churches of Le Sueur and Blue Earth counties the balance of his days. His wife died February 14, 1889, and in 1891 he married Miss Miriam, daughter of Richard Rowlands, late of Judson, Minn. Mr. Jones was a great student and very fond of books. His library was worth several thousand dollars, and the largest in the settlement. His integrity was above suspicion and in all his many financial transactions his word was always accepted with the fullest confidence and never betrayed. He was a good financier and by economy, thrift and foresight had accumulated quite a fortune. He died May 19, 1894, leaving him survivng his second wife and five children by his first wife, viz: John G., William, Mary, wife of John C. Evans, Elizabeth J., wife of W. Thomas, and Ellen, wife of Evan Morgan.

Jones, Thos. O. (Page 233) Born March 3, 1825, at Ty Du {Tÿ-du}, Parish of Llansadwrn, Anglesea, Wales. Son of John and Margaret Jones. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in spring of 1850, where he resided six years, and then removed to Calamus township, Dodge county, Wis., where he bought a farm. Married Jane, daughter of Wm. and Margaret Evans (Fachgoch), in 1861. In 1867 removed to Blue Earth county, Minn., and located on a farm in Judson, from which in the spring of 1875 he retired and built him a fine residence at Mankato, where he still lives. His first wife died September 5, 1884, and November 18, 1885 he married his present wife, Mary, daughter of Wm. and Mary Williams (Pen-y-bryn) {Pen-y-brÿn}, Dodge county, Wis. Mr. Jones is a man whose word is as good as his note - scrupulously honest and just in all his dealings. By thrift and industry he has acquired a goodly amount of this world's goods and has not been neglectful of the world of come. He and his wife are loyal and consistent members of the Mankato C.M. church.

Owens, John L. (Page 249) Son of Owen and Jane Owens, born at Pen Amnan {??}, Dolyddelen {Dolwÿddelan}, Carnarvonshire. His mother was a sister of the eminent divines David Jones, John Jones (Talysarn) {Tal-y-sarn = '(the) end (of) the pavement / causeway'}, and William Jones, Welsh Prairie, Wis., and the family can be traced back through Hedd Moelwynog, 1170, to Llewfrodedd Farchawg in the tenth century. In 1846 he came with his parents to Welsh Prairie, Wis., and in 1856 married Miss Winnie Roberts, of Racine. Soon after he started in business at Cambria, Wis., where he resided for years. While there he invented the self rake reapers in 1870, and a harvester in 1871 known afterwards as the Esterley Harvester, to which was given the medal at the Centennial Exposition in 1876. In July, 1878, Mr. Owens went to Minneapolis as inventor for the Minneapolis Harvester Company and soon was given, in addition, the superintendency of all the woodwork, having hundreds of men under his supervision. He remained with the company for seven years and, after severing his connection, invented the Owens Fanning Mill, which received the first award at the Columbian Exposition in 1893, and which marks a new departure in separrating and cleaning all kinds of grain. He is the president of the J.L. Owens Company which has manufactured and placed on the market over 8,000 of these mills in a single year. He has several other valuable patterns {sic: = ?patents} and at present has nearly completed a machine to cut and thrash the grain simultaneously, which he expects to place on the market in the near future. Among the Welsh people of Minneapolis he is one of the oldest settlers and has been directly or indirectly instrumental in bringing many to the city. He was elected deacon in the Welsh church at Cambria, Wis., and has served in that capacity in the Minneapolis church since its organization, and has been the president of the board of trustees from the beginning.

Price, Rowland W. (Page 256) Born at Factory Ocland {??}, near Llanrhwst {Llan-rwst}, Denbighshire, Wales, November 13, 1834. Son of Wm. R. and Jane Price. Emigrated with his parents in 1843 to the vicinity of Utica, N. Y. , and thence, after two years, to Racine, Wis. In 1847 they removed to Cambria, Wis., and from there to South Bend, Minn., in July, 1855, where the father formed a partnership with Hon. D. C. Evans in the milling business. November 15, 1858, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Isaac Woods, of South Bend, Minn., who was born in August, 1843, at Jackson, O. They soon thereafter located on their present farm in Judson. Mr. Price has held a number of offices in his town and has been a prominent elder of the Seion C.M. church for many years, and has been active in every good work. His children are: Wm. J., Edward T., Annie J., Mary E., David R. and John R.

Pritchard, Robert S. (Page 257) Born at Erw Llangristiolus {Erw, Llangristiolus; the word erw = 'acre, field'}, Anglesea, Wales, August 18, 1838. His parents were Hugh and Mary Pritchard. Learned the carpenter trade at Valley {Y Fali, or Dyffrÿn} near Caergyby {Caergybi}, Wales. {The English name is Holyhead}. Emigrated to the United States in April, 1856, and located in Racine, Wis., for two years, thence came to South Bend, Minn., in June, 1858. Married Miss Mary, daughter of Edward Edwards. Enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry in December, 1863, and served during the war. His wife died March 16, 1882. Married again Miss Elizabeth, daughter {of} Evan Davis, late of Judson, May 11, 1886. He is generous, kindhearted and genial - a worthy man and neighbor. His children are: Hugh, John and Mary.
To see the Prichard family in the 1851 Llangristiolus, Wales census visit: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Llangristiolus/Llangristiolus_O.html

Roberts, Rev. Joseph (Page 266) Born in the neighborhood of Penmachno, Anglesea, {Additonal Errata, p. x - read "Caernarvonshire" instead of "Anglesea"} Wales. He received the most careful religious training from his youth and was an efficient worker of Rhyd-y-Meirch {Rhÿd-y-meirch "(the) ford (of) the horses"} C. M. church when a mere boy. He early indicated his preference for the ministry and showed signs of special ability for the work. He received an excellent education and came to America to take charge of the mission work in the vicinity of Fair Haven, Vt., where he rendered splendid service. He married Miss Maggie, daughter of the able deacon David Cadwalader, formerly of Proscairon, Wis. In 1874 Mr. Roberts accepted a call to the C. M. church at Racine, Wis., where he labored very efficiently for fifteen years. In June, 1889, he accepted a unanimous call to the Welsh church of Minneapolis, Minn., where he ministered with great success until November, 1894, when he became pastor of the C..M. church at New York City, where he now is in the midst of a great work. He is a great reader, a close student and a profound thinker. Has contributed many valuable essays to Welsh periodicals which have won him a high place as a thinker and man of letters. He is a preacher and divine of rare quality, and has presided frequently at local and general assemblies of the C: M. church.

Roberts, Richard (Page 268) Born at Llachenffarwudd {Llechgynfarwÿ}, Anglesea, Wales, in 1829. In 1850 he married Miss Jane Jones of the same shire. He emigrated with his wife and three children to America in 1855, stopping for two years at Racine, Wis. He removed to Cambria, Wis., in 1857, where he was engaged in farming, and thence came to Cambria, Minn., in 1863. Here his wife died in 1877. In the year 1880 he married again, his second wife being Miss Elizabeth Burgess, daughter of the late John Shields. In 1881 he removed to the village of Courtland in Nicollet county, where he resided up to the year 1894, when he came back to Cambria, having purchased the Shields homestead in addition to his own. He had five children by his first wife, only two of whom are now living, viz: Wm. Roberts of South Bend, and Mrs. Jas. D. Price of Cambria. By his second marriage he has two children, Minnie and Enoch. Mr. Roberts was chosen elder of Horeb church in 1865 and has served it ever since with great acceptance. He is a man of the strictest integrity, gifted with good, shrewd good sense and much natural humor.

Roberts, Rev. William (Page 269) Born at Pen-y-Groes {Pen-y-groes}, parish of Llanyngugenadl parish {Llanynghenedl}, Anglesea, Wales. His father, William Roberts, belonged to the family of Castell in {the} same parish, his mother, Elizabeth, was {a} descendant of Penrhos {Pen-rhos}, Bodedern. When William was a child his parents moved to Pen-rhos, where they lived until they came to America in 1850. They settled for a season in Ixonia, Wis., where in 1851 the subject of our sketch began to preach. In November, 1855, he came to South Bend, Minn., and preached regularly there and in the Zion neighborhood until the spring of 1856, when he returned to Wisconsin, and married Miss Mary Cheshire, sister of Isaac Cheshire, at Racine. In the spring of 1857 he again removed to South Bend, and after a short sojourn in Wisconsin during the Indian outbreak of 1862, he located on a farm in Judson, Minn., and organized Carmel church in 1869. In a few years he sold his farm and removed to Skunk Grove, near Racine, Wis. Thence he returned to Wales where he has been pastor of Capel Coch church, Anglesea, for about twenty years. His wife died in the spring of 1888. His daughter, Lizzie, is his only surviving child. He is an honest, sincere christian and faithful preacher.

Thomas, Jas. P. (Page 273) Born January 6, 1828, at Tir Canol Crag {??}, Dyfonog {Defynnog}, Breconshire. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., where he arrived February 18, 1855, and in May, 1856, removed to South Bend. Enlisted in Company I, Curtis' Horse, in November, 1861, and discharged for inability June 1862. He married Mrs Elenor Roberts January, 1872. Owing to ill-health acquired in the army he retired from his South Bend farm to the city of Mankato in 1884, where he has been the janitor of the Congregational church for many years. His children are: Lizzie, Laura, Evan and Robert.

Thomas, John R. (Page 274) Born April 20, 1853 at Racine, Wis. Son of R.J. and Sarah Thomas. Removed with parents to South Bend in October, 1863, thence in September, 1865, to Mankota, where he received a good common school education. Clerked in his father's grocery store for five years and then in 1875 accepted position as book keeper in Citizens' National Bank of Mankato, where he remained until January, 1884, when he went to Minneapolis for two years as teller and book keeper for the Manufacturers' National Bank. He then returned to Mankato to assume the position of cashier of Mankato National Bank where he still continues. He is quite a prominent singer and for nine years has ben a member of the Presbyterian church choir. He is a member of the Masonic order in which he has held a number of offices.

Thomas, Richard J. (Page 276) Born at Cwm-y-Dail {Cwm-y-dail}, Manafon parish, Montgomeryshire, Wales, April 3, 1826. Son of John and Elizabeth Thomas. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1848. He was a miller by occupation for eighteen years. March 31, 1852, at Racine, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Thos. and Elizabeth Baxter who was born August 31, 1830, at Llanfaircaereinion {Llanfair Caereinion}, Montgomeryshire. In 1863 he removed to South Bend, Minn., and engaged in mercantile business with his brother-in-law, W. W. Davis. In August, 1865, they removed to Mankato and started in the grocery busniess. In a few years Mr. Thomas bought out Mr. Davis and continued alone until 1883, having a large trade. He died April 25, 1894, leaving surviving his beloved wife and three children: John R., Elizabeth and Jennie. Mr. Thomas was an able musician. In Wisconsin he was a member of the famous Cambrian Qaurtette led by Prof. John P. Jones. In Minnesota he won prizes at musical contests both as a composer and singer. For over twenty years he led the choir of the First Presbyterian church of Mankato. He was the most peaceable, upright and kind hearted of men.

Wigley, Joshua (Page 277) Born February 1, 1835, near Llanbrynmair {Llan-brÿn-mair}, Montgomeryshire, Wales. Emigrated to Racine, Wis., in 1855, where he remained two years. He then moved to Minnesota and soon located on his present farm in Judson, Blue Earth county. July 20, 1862, married Miss Carolin, daughter of Wm. J. and Hannah Roberts of Judson. Was one of the New Ulm defenders during the Sioux massacre of 1862, being a member of Capt. Bierbauer's company. In 1863 he enlisted in Company E, Second Minnesota Cavalry Volunteers and served two years, until close of war under Gen. Sibley. In July, 1887, he was appointed to a position in the state weighing department at Minneapolis, which he held for a number of years. In 1893 he retired from his farm to Lake Crystal, Minn. Is a member of the G.A.R. {Grand Army of the Republic} post at that place.

Wigley, Hon. Richard (Page 278) Born at Bron-Derw-Coed {Bronderwgoed}, Llanbrynmair {Llan-brÿn-mair}, Montgomeryshire, February 14, 1833. Son of Joshua and Elizabeth (Morris) Wigley. He married in 1853 Miss Mary, daughter of William Williams (Gwilim Gyfeilog) {Gwilÿm Gyfeiliog} of Llanbrynmair {Llan-brÿn-mair}. Her father was a cousin of the renowned Revs. John and Samuel Roberts, Llanbrynmair {Llan-brÿn-mair}. Her brother, Richard Williams, is a very prominent lawyer of Trenewydd {Y Drenewÿdd, a town in the modern county of Powÿs, but formerly Sir Drefaldwÿn / Montgomeryshire; English name = Newtown}. In 1857 Mr. and Mrs. Wigley emigrated to Racine, Wis. and in May of the following year removed to Judson, Minn., where they own a very valuable farm. During the Indian attack on Butternut Valley on September 10, 1862, Mr. Wigley had quite a narrow escape. In 1876-7 and 8 he was County Commissioner of Blue Earth county and in 1884 was elected to the State Legislature. He is a man of good ability and has always been active in all public affairs. He and his good wife are given to hospitality and are worthy members of the Mankato Welsh church. Their children are: Joshua W.; Wm. W.; Mary E., wife of Hugh Jones of Mankato; Ann, wife of Hugh Roberts of Oshkosh, Wis.; Hannah, and John. Mr. and Mrs. Wigley have retired from the farm to Mankato, where they have a pleasant home.

Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh W. (Page 282) Mr. Williams was born at Llandyrno {sic: = Llandyrnog}, Denbighshire, Wales in 1824. Emigrated to America in 1850 and located near Racine, Wis., where in 1856 he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Owen and Mary Herbert. Mrs. Williams was born at Carno, near Llanbrynmair {Llan-brÿn-mair}, in 1830, and came with her parents to Racine in 1851. In June, 1856, Mr. and Mrs. Williams removed to South Bend, Minn., and located on the farm still owned by the family near the village. Mr. Williams died September 10, 1890, leaving surviving his good wife and four children: Wm. H., lawyer at St. Paul; John W.; Daniel; Mrs. Jean Crane; and Mrs. Mary Wigley, all of Blue Earth county. He was an honest, conscientious, religious man.

Williams, Owen E. (Page 285) Born in 1834 at a farm called Bodferllion, in Llanbeulan parish, Anglesea. When he was 3 years old his parents moved to the rocky hills of Llandrugarn {= Llandrygarn} and thence, when he was 5 years old, to Trefil Bach, in the same parish, whence he emigrated to the vicinity of Racine, Wis., in the spring of 1857. After six years he removed to neighborhood of Cambria, Wis., for another six years. Thence in 1868 he moved to Foreston, Ia. Owing to his ability and special fitness for the work he was selected elder of the Foreston church. He, also, rendered valuable services in the Sabbath school, Missionary Society, Bible Society, Temperance Society and every good work. In 1883 he removed to Powell, Dak. In the fall of 1892 he removed from his Dakota farm to Lime Springs, where he has built a pleasant home. His strong mental gifts and pleasing fluency of speech make him a natural leader in any community, and since he has consecrated these powers to christian work it causes him to be eminently useful to his fellows. He comes of good stock. His grandfather, on his father's side, was a prominent preacher in the Wesleyan church, while his maternal grandfather was a prominent elder of the C.M. church, so in him are united the faith of Calvin and works of Wesley.

Eiddo'r cyhoedd yw'r llÿfr "Hanes y Cymry ym Minnesota"; fe'i gosodwÿd ar y we gan wefanwÿr y Gwefan "Cymru-Catalonia".


Translation: "The History of the Welsh in Minnesota" is in the public domain, and has been made available on the Internet as part of the "Wales-Catalonia" Website.

Links to Wales

Wales Genealogy Links & Chat
This is an absolutely excellent site. Lots of resources available here.

Wales GenWeb




Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Back to the Racine County Biography Page