- From the Bicentennial History of Milton, printed in
1977 is an interesting piece about the WVIC:
- The WVIC of Milton "enjoyed a long & industrious
career of service to Milton College & the
- community." The first meeting was held on November
12, 1904, in the Seventh Day Baptist Church to organize a society
to aid in the erection of Whitford Memorial Hall of Milton College
& then work for the general improvement of the Village.
Over the years the club's devotion to Milton College continued
along with many gifts to the Village of Milton. Some of these
gifts included a new roof for the college gymnasium, street lamps,
shrubs in the park, sidewalks at the college, a Well Baby Clinic,
flower seeds given to school children, annual flower show, art
contests for eighth graders, scholarships, tree conservation,
Girl Scout & Brownie sponsorships, a public swimming pool
committee & swim program, Hobby Harvest, card marathons,
to name just a few.
- "Its interests remained the vigorous encouragement of
all that seemed worthwhile & an equally
- vigorous denunciation of all that is substandard in fields
of health safety, education, beauty & general community advancement."
- It was still in operation at the printing of the Bicentennial
History of Milton in 1976.
- Courtesy of Sherry.
- BLISS, Margaret Jane (STEER)*
- CLARKE, Ann Cora*
- CLARKE, Harriet (SAUNDERS)*
- CLARKE, Lucy Ann (CLARKE)* - one of the founders
- CRANDALL, Ada Elizabeth*
- CRANDALL, Esther Amy (ROOD)*
- INGLIS, Tacy Fanny (ROOD)*
- SHAW, Dorothy (MAXSON)*
- SHAW, Emma Irene (MAXSON)*
- SHAW, Nellie Ruth (CAMPBELL)*
- SHAW, Vera Evelyn (COON)*