- Why isn't the link working?
- Sometimes you'll click on a link (blue text) and get one
of those annoying "404: Page not found"
- If the link (blue text) was followed by an asterisk (*),
please let me know by e-mailing me. The
- asterisk means that the page is not part of the WIRock sites
(is on someone else's site) and often those pages get moved and
nobody tells me. So do tell me.
- If the link wasn't followed by an asterisk, and you were
able to see it previously, chances are it's
- still there. The servers where the WIRock sites are stored
(there are several) often are unattainable for various reasons,
such as maintenance or too much traffic (too many people trying
to view sites on the server at one time). If you're on the WIRock
sites and "all of a sudden" none of the links work,
it's probably maintenance or traffic. While I may find it interesting
that the servers are so frequently worked on or that there are
so many people trying to visit genealogy pages at once, there
is nothing I can do about it so please don't e-mail me when tons
of my links are working.
- If you're visiting a link for the first time and it doesn't
work, first check to make sure the server is
- available. You can do this by clicking on another link on
that page. If that link is also 404, it's the server and, unfortunately,
you'll just have to visit again later. If the second link works,
let me know the first one has a messed up address. I'm infamous
for my poor typing skills.
- My e-mail bounced back.
- E-mails to volunteers and submitters often change without
my being notified. Sometimes I've been
- notified but missed changing the address. Let me know when
an e-mail bounces back and I'll try to track the person down.
- Why don't you have any information online about my family?
- No one's submitted it yet and that includes you. Information
begets information. By submitting
- data to the website, or by submitting your surname to the
Registry, you not only let others know you are researching
that family, you are giving them an opportunity to contact you
and share information. Details on submitting data to the website
can be found under Submission
- There are also many volunteers who keep lists of names being
researched in the area and will
- submit information about those names when they run across
them while doing their own research.
- It's also possible that I have information about your family
sitting next to me and it just hasn't made
- it online yet. I have dozens of books, databases, etc., just
lurking over me, waiting to be compiled into web pages and put
online. Feel free to check the Coming
Soon page to see if your family information is on it's
- Can you do research for me?
- Goodness, no. Wish I could, but I barely have time to do
my own family research. But I'm happy
- to point you in the right direction or answer questions as
to where information on your family could be found.
- The WIRock site also has a slew of Volunteers
in various categories (including basic research)
- who are available to assist you. All those listed on the
Volunteers pages (and throughout the website) do this research
for free unless otherwise noted.