From History of Reedsburg and the Upper Baraboo Valle, by Merton Edwin Krug, Publ. February 1929 by the author. Printed by Democrat Printing Company, Madison, Wis., Page 453
Charles E. Phillips. One of the outstanding citizens of Reedsburg and vicinity, Charles E. Phillips, Vice President of the Reedsburg Supply Company, is a highly successful businessman in his field, active in local financial, and church circles, and a prominent member of the Reedsburg Chamber of Commerce. He was born at Endeavor, Marquette County, Wis., Oct. 8, 1878, the fifth of the six children of William H. and Sophronia C. (Rider) Phillips. Our subject's paternal grandfather, Harison Phillips, represented a line of Colonial forbearers, his immigrant ancestor being one of two Phillips brothers who were passengers on the Mayflower, 1620. As a young man Harrison Phillips came to Big Springs, Wis., and was married at that place to Eunice Amey. This lady was of German descent on her paternal side, while her mother was from Holland. William H. Phillips was born to Harrison and Eunice, at Big Springs, Wis., May 2, 1851, and grew to manhood in his native place. On Feb. 24, 1870 he married Sophronia Rider, and began farming on a farm near Endeavor, Wis., where his untimely death occurred Aug. 6, 1890, at the age of 39 years.
Mrs. Sophronia Phillips was born at Compton, Canada, Jan. 6, 1851, daughter of Halett and Mary (Stearns) Rider. Her father was born at Newport, Vermont; her mother, at Winchington, Mass. At an early date Mr. and Mrs. Rider moved to Canada, and in 1855, when Sophronia was four years old, came to Wisconsin, locating at Newport, on the Wisconsin River, where they engaged in farming. Our subject's mother died Oct. 11, 1925, in her seventy-fifth year.
Charles E. Phillips spent his early years on the Endeavor farm; attended Endeavor Academy, and later Richards Business College at Minneapolis, Minn. In 1902 he became employed with the E. P. Richardson Lumber Company of Ableman, remaining until 1906. The following year he was employed by the H. M. Johnston Lumber Company of North Freedom, and his connections there continued until 1912, when he was transferred to Reedsburg, to take charge of the local yard of the same company. In 1913 the Reedsburg Supply Company was organized, with Mr. Phillips as Vice President and General manger, which association he still retains.
Charles E. Phillips was united in marriage July 26, 1902, to Miss Margaret May Mardin. This lady was born at Ithaca, Richland Co, Wis., Feb. 18, 1879, and was the daughter of Alfred Colby and Ella Jane (Fuller) Mardin. Her paternal grandparents, Jeremiah and Nancy (Colby) Mardin, natives of Scotland, settled in Epson, New Hampshire, where Alfred Colby was born, June 13, 1850. In 1856 the family came to Richland County, where they established permanent residence. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Jeremiah Mardin enlisted in the Union Army, and was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness. Alfred C. grew to manhood in Richland County, graduated from the Richland Center High school. Later he attended the Moody Institute, Chicago, and was ordained a minister of the Gospel in the Congregational Church, 1880. He was a prominent minister of the state, a stated charge at Neptune and Loyd, and a pioneer minister in Adams County, there being but one other minister in the county at the time. He had residence at White Creek, where his death occurred at the age of forty-seven, Feb. 1, 1897. His wife, whom he married Feb. 14, 1878 at Reedsburg, Wis., was Ella Jane Fuller, daughter of Putnam Fuller, the pioneer of Ironton. Her father was a native of New York, son of Hiram Fuller, and said to have been a descendant of the early Pilgrim Fullers. Her mother, Harriet Eggeston, was born in Canada, of French descent. Mr. and Mrs. Putnam Fuller came to Ironton at a very early date, and the name of Putnam Fuller occurs frequently in the early history of that town, where he was associated with Jonas Tower in opening the Iron Mine. Ella Jane Fuller was born at Ironton, Dec. 24, 1854, and died Oct. 6, 1908.
Before her marriage Mrs. Charles E. Phillips was a very successful school teacher, and taught in the following places: White Creek, Easton, Adams Center and Endeavor. Since her removal to Reedsburg she has identified herself with the life of the community, and, with Mr. Phillips, is an active member of the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are the parents of three children: Mardin, born Jan. 24, 1904; Bertha, born June 6, 1905; and Charles, born Nov. 28, 1913.
Return to Sauk County Biographies