From History of Reedsburg and the Upper Baraboo Valley, by Merton Edwin Krug, Publ. February 1929 by the author. Printed by Democrat Printing Company, Madison, Wis., Page 32
George Kellogg. Among the settlers of 1850 were George Kellogg and family. His son John, in 1853, started the first brickyard in the town, and some four years later opened a grocery. Becoming dissatisfied, John started for Pike's Peak in 1859, renting his store during his absence to his brother-in-law, N. V. Chandler. Mr. Chandler, who later became associated with the Free Press, is covered elsewhere in this volume. Before reaching his destination, however, John Kellogg "got cured of the gold fever and soon returned to his regular business".
Kellogg's store was run on a small scale at first, very small scale indeed, for in the Free Press of 1860 he advertised his complete stock for sale for twenty-five dollars! He had reduced all his prices in an effort to close out. He had ordered several dollars worth of new goods from a Milwaukee firm and wanted his store space to house them. But he made considerable money and in 1866 added drygoods to his line of merchandise. He was alone in business several years; then he had as associates, first, N. V. Chandler, second, a Mr. Wheeler; and in 1870, A. L. Harris became his partner. In 1880 he bought the Reedsburg Flouring mill.
O. H. Perry, father of R. P. Perry, was a settler of 1850 also. He conducted a store for a Mr. Sanford, who had a chain of stores in the various settlements in the Baraboo valley. This was the first store in the village of Reedsburg.
Return to Sauk County Biographies