From History of Reedsburg and the Upper Baraboo Valley, by Merton Edwin Krug, Publ. February 1929 by the author. Printed by Democrat Printing Company, Madison, Wis., Page 31-32
Judge E. G. Wheeler and family were among the settlers of 1850. He was accompanied by his sister, Miss Amanda Wheeler. She was a woman of considerable learning, and in that spring of 1850 opened what can be called the first school in the village, if we except Miss SAXBY's missionary school. As Miss Wheeler was the pioneer of Reedsburg's excellent public school system, more lengthy mention of her will be made under the caption: Reedsburg's Public Schools.
Mr. Wheeler was a lawyer and opened a practice immediately upon his arrival, and enjoyed wide popularity. The exact time of his arrival is given as "March 16th, 1850, 9:30 P.M." Within a few hours after his coming he discovered that most, if not all, of the men indulged in the use of ardent spirits; and he declared emphatically, in the evening of that day, that he never felt more like delivering a temperance lecture in his life, and wished that he had a place in which to deliver one. A temperance lecture! No doubt the townsmen knew what temperance was, yet they were thrilled by the prospect of such a lecture. In less than half an hour Shanty No. 2 was put in order, and nearly every man, woman and child in the village was seated and in readiness to hear the lecture.
The good man Wheeler seems to have been taken a little aback, when he learned that he really was expected to speak, but he appreciated the opportunity and did not seek to be excused. Without any time to prepare or outline his talk, he took up the temperance question, and handled it so ably that all his listeners were pleased beyond measure. He had reached his audience, un-offensively, profoundly. There have been many temperance lectures delivered in the town since, but old settlers who dwelt here down through the years were often heard to say that none equaled in pathos and appeal that one - the first temperance lecture ever delivered here. E. G. Wheeler contributed his bit to add the eighteenth amendment to the constitution. In 1854, after a practice of several years he was elected county judge, since which time he has been known as Judge Wheeler. Later he became a resident of Sparta, and finally went to Dakota.
Return to Sauk County Biographies