From History of Reedsburg and the Upper Baraboo Valley, by Merton Edwin Krug, Publ. February 1929 by the author. Printed by Democrat Printing Company, Madison, Wis., Page 32-33
Rollin M. Strong. This gentleman was also among the settlers of 1850 and left a fine record of his residence here. He was accompanied by his parents, and in company with his father opened a store soon after his arrival. Mr. Strong was born in Bridgeport, Vermont, July 27, 1830, and was therefore but twenty years of age upon coming here. He was a man of character, pleasing address and considerable learning, having received his education at the Troy Conference Academy, Poultney, Vermont. The family removed to Wisconsin June 1, 1850, and settled in Reedsburg in October. In February 1856, he married Miss Sarah E. Rudd, sister of the Rudd brothers who came in 1849. Their only child died in early boyhood. In November 1860, Rollin Strong was elected sheriff of Sauk County, but was commissioned by Governor Randall to recruit a company for the Union Army, and resigned January 1, 1861. His military activities are covered at length in Part II. At Fair Oaks, Virginia, he was wounded and lost a leg. Returning home in 1865 he was elected to the assembly. From then on he held various pubic offices in the county. He owned a large stock and grain farm in Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota. During the later years of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Strong spent much of their time at the Cliff House, Devils Lake.
Another settler of 1850 was S. H. Chase. He was young and unmarried, but shortly after his arrival took a wife. She was Miss Amanda Wheeler, previously mentioned, and this marriage was the first in the village. Previous to this (May, 1849) Frances Swallow had been married to Washington Gray - the first marriage in the township. In the spring of 1850 the latter couple built a cabin in the township of Washington, which was named Washington in Gray's honor. However, a resurvey of that township set the site of his dwelling in the present town of Ironton.
Dr. R. G. Williams, who settled here in the fall of 1850, was the first resident physician. He died in 1854, but was long remembered by contemporary settlers as a man of integrity, learning, with a successful practice. The faith of the people in his ability to heal was remarkable. For years after his death no one passed on without the remark being made that if Dr. Williams had been living, So-and-So would not have died.Other 1850 settlers were W. P. Randall and the James Coughran family.
Return to Sauk County Biographies