From History of Reedsburg and the Upper Baraboo Valley, by Merton Edwin Krug, Publ. February 1929 by the author. Printed by Democrat Printing Company, Madison, Wis., Page 439
Mr. and Mrs. William H. Hahn. Mr. William H. Hahn, cashier of the State Bank of this city, was born Sept. 25, 1875, in Reedsburg, Wis., a son of William Hahn, Sr. He grew to manhood in the community attending the Reedsburg Public schools and graduating from the La Crosse Business College; upon completing his education he was employed as bookkeeper in La Crosse and Sheboygan; then, after three years, he returned to Reedsburg, to enter into the firm of the Westside Construction Company, in which he and his father were prominent members, with which he remained connected until entering the State Bank as assistant cashier. From that date he served in that capacity until August 1928, when he became cashier, upon the retirement of Mr. Gill from that institution. Mr. Hahn is one of Reedsburg's most energetic business man, and has a beautiful home on North Pine Street, which he erected in 1925.
On Sept. 25, 1914, he was united in marriage to Doris Palmer Bunker. This lady was born Jan. 11, 1885, on the farm occupied by her parents, Emery W. and Florence A. (Palmer) Bunker, on Narrows Prairie. Her father was born Jan. 13, 1843, in the state of New York. At an early date he came with his parents, George and Betsy (Wheeler) Bunker, to Delavan, Walworth Co., Wis., where they died. George Bunker was born in 1814; married in 1838; and died in 1910. His wife was born in 1814 and died in 1911. George Bunker was a son of Henry Bunker, born in 1794 and died in 1854, and his wife, Clarissa Steward. She was born in 1796, and was a daughter of Silas and Charlotta Steward. Silas Steward, a Revolutionary soldier, was born in 1760; enlisted as a musician in the spring of 1875, and served through the entire struggle, part of the time as a musician and part of the time as a soldier. He was present at the surrender of Burgoyne, and on June 23, 1818, was granted a government pension. He died in 1845.
Emery Watson and Florence (Palmer) Bunker, were married Oct. 20, 1875. Florence Palmer was born in 1853, daughter of William Palmer, assemblyman, from the district at Madison during the Civil war. He was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in 1806, son of Richard and Cassandra Palmer. In 1835, he was married at Philadelphia, to Elizabeth Myers, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Brunner) Myers. She was a native of Pennsylvania. In 1854 the Palmer family came to Wisconsin, settling at Loganville, where he built the first frame house in that village. Later he moved to Section 6, town of Westfield, where they afterward resided. An account of his life would be incomplete without a mention of historic Tuckertown, a rural settlement and one time postoffice located a few miles west of Loganville, in the town of Washington. Mr. Palmer was one of the very first settlers in the region. Both he and his wife repose in Tuckertown Cemetery.
For two years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Emery W. Bunker lived on a farm near Delavan, but the death of her father necessitated their coming to Washington to look after the Palmer farm. Here they resided for many years, and it was on this farm that their daughter, Doris Bunker Hahn, was born. Mr. Bunker died some years ago; but his widow resides with her daughter. Mrs. Hahn attended the Wonewoc High School, graduating with the class of 1905; then she attended a Kindergarten College, graduating in 1905. She taught for nine years in Wisconsin city schools, Elroy, Ladysmith and Madison, and was married to Mr. William Hahn in Reedsburg.
Mr. and Mrs. Hahn were the parents of one son, Cyrus William Hahn, who was born Dec. 14, 1916, and answered the final call home, April 28, 1924, after the short life of eight years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hahn are active workers in the Presbyterian Church, members of the Country Club, and she is a member of the D.A.R.
Return to Sauk County Biographies