Shawano County Journal

24 Oct 1907

Child Fatally Burned

Wittenberg Enterprise:  Cora Bishop, a two-year-old girl at the Homme Orphan Home, received burns Thursday afternoon, October 17, from which she died the next morning.  The little girl and her twin brother, besides another little child, were in the nursery and asleep on a couch.  In some way, no one is able to account for it, a fire started at the foot of the couch, which reached the clothing of the twin girl.  She awakened and cried for help, which brought an attendant into the room, but not before the child was quite severely burned about the face, back and arms.  A doctor was it once telephoned for and he did all in his power to ease the suffering of the little child and to save its life, but in vain.  The accident is a very sad one and has cast a gloom over the Home.  The little girl was a particularly winsome child and the favorite of all.