Search billions of records on

Murders in Shawano County

Transcribed by Editor Jim Glasheen & Cathe Ziereis


Tues 9 July 1912


Murdered On The Fourth At White Clay Lake, One Mile From Van Ostrand

Frank Crisp is Murdered

Frank Crisp, a Kentuckyian was murdered at White Lake near Van Ostrand Thursday afternoon at about 8:50 pm by “Bud” Stanley, another southerner said to be from West Virginia, during a dance and picnic on the bank of White Lake.  It seems that Crisp and “Old Man” Stanley had had some trouble at a ball game at Langlade about three weeks ago and the “Stanley’s” went to White Lake Looking for trouble.  Frank Crisp and “Old Man” Stanley met a short distance from the dance floor and had some words and clinched.  “Bud” Stanley, a son of “Old Man” Stanley, ran up behind Crisp and before anyone could stop him he had cut Crisp across the hip and cut off one of the big arteries and the knife pierced the bowels.  The Stanley crowd then drew their guns and ran toward an old log shanty nearby, keeping a running fight with the friends of Crisp who were shooting at them.  Someone placed a gun in Crisp’s hands as he lay pleading on the ground and with eyes dimmed with approaching death, he took two shots at the fleeing Stanleys.        

Dr. Westfall of Polar was sent for and was soon at the side of the dying man.  Mrs. Crisp was at the side of her husband when the trouble started and was prostrated with grief when she saw he was fatally wounded.

The sympathy of the community is with the family of the murdered man as he had proven himself to be a sober and industrious man and had made many friends by his quiet and courteous way.

A coroner’s inquest was held over the body of Frank Crisp and a verdict was agreed upon that Frank Crisp came to his death by means of a knife in the hands of “Bud” Stanley.  According to testimony taken at the inquest; the trouble started at a ball game two weeks ago when Tom Crisp called Stanley a vile name.  Thursday, July 4th old man Stanley met Tom Crisp in the road in front of Bryon Larzlier’s place and Stanley and Tom Crisp began to “chew the rag.”  Stanley said “you cannot call me a----------and get away with it.”  Crisp put his hand to his pocket as if to draw a gun but did not do so.  Tom Crisp went into the dance floor and went up to Frank Crisp and spoke to him.  Frank got up and started toward the road where “old man” Stanley was sitting on a log.  Mrs. Crisp hung to her husband’s arm begging him to come back.  Frank Crisp walked up to “old man” Stanley and said “I can call you a----------------------and get away with it too.”  With that he struck at Stanley.  Stanley protected himself as best he could for an old man.  “Bud” Stanley was trying to get Crisp to leave the old man alone when one of Crisp’s friends fired a shot at “Bud.”  At that “Bud” cut Crisp and started to run.  A gun was placed in Crisp’s hand and he emptied it at the Stanley’s who were running zig-zag down the road.  After they had got ten or twelve rods away one of the Stanley’s turned and fired several shots at the Crisp’s crowd.

There probably would have been more bloodshed but Crisp’s friends stopped to tend to him.  The Stanley’s went home where they were found by the sheriff at noon the next day.  The whole trouble can be laid to Moonshine whiskey.



Thurs 11 July 1912

Quarrel Causes Murder

Frank Crisp, Killed by Bud Stanley at White Lake

A regular old fashioned Kentucky feud, in which two families were participants, was fought out with fatal results at White Lake on the afternoon of the Fourth.  Frank Crisp was fatally stabbed in the melee and died four hours after the fight.  Both Bud and Butler Stanley are in the county jail, the former charged with murder and the latter charged with assault with the intent to kill.

The whole affair resulted from a slight misunderstanding which had its origin at a baseball game a week ago Sunday.  One of the Stanley boys was umpire of the game.  While the game was taking place a son of Tom Crisp a brother of the murdered man, got into a fight with another young lad.  Stanley interfered, much to the chagrin of the father of young Crisp.  A few words resulted and the quarrel was taken up by the other members of both families.  Last Thursday afternoon a dance and picnic was taking place at the White Lake pavilion, and some of the Crisp family made remarks about the Stanley’s that when heard of by the Stanley boys angered them.  The Stanley boys, Bud, Butler, Bob, and A. Stanley the father, left the dance and when they were a short distance down the road the met Tom Crisp.  Harsh word was indulged in and Crisp was later joined by his brother, Frank Crisp and his wife, and Everett Martin.  The two factions were warming up and Martin seeing Bud Stanley flash a knife drew a pistol and told him to throw the knife down.  Stanley backed away from Martin and toward Crisp.  When he came within reaching distance, he made a lunge and cut a deep gash in Crisp’s back.  He then attempted to stab Crisp from the front, but Martin prevented.

The party had been joined by Mike Mikelson, who lived a short distance away.  After the stabbing the Stanley’s started running down the road and Martin began firing a fusillade of bullets after them.  Mikelson turned to the wounded man and found him bleeding to death.  He started down the road to his own house to get some flour to put into the wound to stop it from bleeding.

Mikelson lived in a lumber camp near another group of buildings where the Stanley’s had sought refuge.  When he got to his house several shots were fired at him by the Stanley’s who believed that he was in hot pursuit.  Mikelson ran into his home and shut the door after grappling with Butler Stanley.  The Stanley’s fired several bullets through the door. But believing that they were pursued, they moved their way into the woods.

No attempt was made to capture them until Sheriff Spoerl and his deputies gave chase the next day.  They found Bud Stanley in the woods a short distance from his home.  Stanley gave himself up without making any trouble

Coroner Feller got together a coroner’s jury consisting of Finley Thomas, C F Cootware, J B Sparks, Albert Deroslere, Henry Spence and Byron Larzelere.  These jurymen brought in a verdict that Crisp’s death was caused by a wound from the knife in the hands of Bud Stanley.

The hearing of both Bud and Butler Stanley has been set for next Friday morning.  Butler Stanley’s bond was placed at $500, but no bond was granted to the murderer --- Antigo Journal



Tues 8 July 1913

Murdered At Morgan Siding

Albert Fowler Loses His Life In A Fight At Morgan Siding Early Friday Morning


Albert Fowler, a Stockbridge Indian, died at the Shawano hospital Sunday afternoon at one o’clock from wounds received in a fight at Morgan Siding early Friday morning.

As near as we can learn of the fight it was about as follows:  There was a dance at Dan Tousey’s place at Morgan Siding, and two young men had a quarrel over a hat.  They went out doors and one of them promised not to have any further words with the other party.  A young man named Thos. Hammer, a Stockbridge, urged both men to fight, But the one who promised not to fight, went up stairs and commenced to dance.  Hammer then went up stairs also, and as the young man who was dancing came near, Hammer it is claimed, knocked the young man down.  As he was doing this Dan Tousey, who runs the place, was coming up the stairs with an ax handle or club, and endeavored to hit Hammer.  As soon as this was done Hammer’s relatives got into the fight and endeavored to take the club away from Tousey.  There were several in the fight by this time and Fowler tried to part them.  As he was doing when he was stabbed in the back and neck from behind, and Fowler then turned around and knocked Hammer down, whom it is claimed did the stabbing.  Fowler was then stabbed two more times from in front, which were very bad.  The fight must have stopped about this time.  There were a number in the hall and many witnessed the fight, and there are different versions of the disgraceful row.

A doctor was called as soon as possible but they could not get Dr. Sapper of Gresham, and Dr. Gordon was then called, and for some reason they could not get him by phone until about eight o’clock the next morning.  Fowler lost a great deal of blood before Dr. Gordon got there.  He was brought to town Friday evening and taken to the Shawano hospital, where he passed away Sunday afternoon,

A post mortem was held Sunday evening so as to examine the nature of the wounds, and it was found that the two in front, one of which pierced his left lung, were both mortal.  Fowler is said to have been a quiet man and leaves a wife and one child.  He was not a drinking man and had not drank any that evening.  The remains were taken to Morgan Siding Monday noon.

Hammer was arrested Friday and placed in the county jail and his examination will be held after the coroner’s inquest, which will be held tomorrow at Coroner Garfield’s undertaking rooms.  There have been a number of fights at Morgan Siding and the place has not a very good reputation.  Dist. Atty. Andrews has the case in charge and will endeavor to have the guilty one punished.  It would be a good thing for Shawano County if there were no saloons at Morgan Siding.



Thurs 10 July 1913

Foul Murder Morgan Siding

Albert Fowler Killed Stopping Fight

Stabbed By An Indian 

Tom Hammer Assails Victim From Behind With Big Knife – Fowler Died Sunday In Shawano Hospital – Inquest Held Wednesday.  Albert Fowler, a Stockbridge Indian was murdered at a dance in Dan Towsey’s hall at Morgan Siding early Friday morning.  The inquest was held over the body and a formal hearing before a jury conducted on Wednesday afternoon in W H Garfield’s undertaking rooms by District Attorney Andrews and the following story was brought out.  All of the principals in the affray were Indians.  Two of them Jim Reed and Jones House got their hats exchanged and in trying to straighten out the hat jumble a quarrel ensued.  Towsey told the men to stop their quarrelling and when they began to fight, Towsey put Reed outside the door.  Tom Hammer took up the quarrel against Towsey in behalf of Reed.  Then they all went up stairs and there the noise and quarreling kept up.  Then the saloon keeper went up and ordered the fight stopped and Tom hammer declared “he would fight where he pleased.”  Then Towsey went down again into the saloon and procured an ax handle and with this he returned to the hall and ordered Tom Hammer to stop his disturbance and when he refused Towsey hit him with the ax handle.  At this point Rufus Hammer the father and Job Hammer a brother took up the fight for Tom against Towsey.  Here Albert Fowler spoke up and said that he was going to see that Dan Towsey had fair play and took Rufus and Job Hammer off the struggling man.  Then it was that Tom Hammer stepped up to him from behind and stabbed him with a knife four distinct stabs any two of which would have proved fatal.  Dr. Gordon went up in his auto in answer to the call but found the man very weak from loss of blood.  Mr. Fowler was brought to the Shawano hospital where he died Sunday morning.  The remains were taken to Morgan Siding Monday noon.




Thurs 24 July 1913

Albert Fowler

A Write-up By Some Of His Relations


Although everything was done for Albert Fowler from the time he was stabbed until he passed away, yet his wounds were too fatal to heal.  We thank Mr. O F Morgan for his assistance as he was ever ready with his services.  He went in his car for Dr. Sapper but could not get him so he then went for Dr. Gordon, Dr. Gordon came, and from the first day he worked with all the skill he had, Yet the wounds were too fatal.

Although in great pain after being removed to the hospital, he had ever a kind word for every one as he did in his daily life.  He was a kind and loving husband and father.  His first thoughts were always of others had they not been, he would not have been stabbed as he was.  But great is our consolation when we think of what must be his reward and what a crown he must wear while he tried to help others by giving his own life.  His thoughts were of his wife so much after being removed from Morgan as he tried to keep back so many things for her sake.  He spoke so well of the hospital nurses who had done so much for him and were so kind during his stay.  Yet in spite of their faithful work he was called from this world of sorrow and care at 1:20 Sunday PM.  We can only think of him as being transplanted in a celestial home by divine hands. 

Those at his bedside when death claimed him were his mother, wife and son, brother, sister, a friend Mr. Joseph Pleshek, and an uncle. 

Left to morn his loss is – a mother, wife and son, two sisters, one brother and an endless number of friends.




Tues 5 Aug 1913

Hoehn Held For Murder

Victim of Assault Succumbs to Injuries Inflicted During Fight


As the result of a fight that took place Saturday afternoon, about four o’clock in the rear of Chas. Wege’s place of business on Main Street, Ed Gollupsky of the town of Pella lies dead and Herman Hoehn, his assailant is locked up in the county jail, with the serious charge of murder in the first degree held against him. 

Although no witnesses were present it is learned through the story of the accused man that the deadly assault was caused though a quarrel which took place in this city and that words brought on blows.  The weapon with which the fatal blow was struck is a common piece of gas-pipe, which the accused man claimed in his story, was picked up by Gollupsky, and whom he alleges tried to strike him.  During the scuffle the pipe was dropped by Gollupsky and Hoehn gaining possession of it struck his victim on the head, inflecting the wound that a few hourslater caused death.

Following the assault Gollupsky was removed to the hospital, where his wound was taken care of and all possible aid given.

Gollupsky, aged about 28 years was a resident of the town of Pella, and being single lived with his parents on a farm.  A further description of the unfortunate man cannot be given at this writing as reports are too meager.

Herman Hoehn, the accused man, is the son of Emil Hoehn of the Town of Belle Plaine where he had made his home for some years.  He was born in Marion and is about Twenty-eight years of age.  Hoehn is a married man having been wedded about two weeks ago.  He has been known as a rather quarrelsome person and has been in a number of previous quarrels and disputes of the kind that led up to his affair with Gollupsky.

Following the death of Gollupsky which took place between the hours of ten and eleven Monday morning.  Coroner Garfield was called and an inquest ordered to be held Tuesday, Aug. 12.  A post-mortem examination was held Monday afternoon by Drs. Cantwell and Stubenvoll and it found that death was caused by a fracture of the skull, presumably the result of the blow on the head made with the gas-pipe.  The coroner’s jury impaneled is as follows:  A T Osborn, Paul Staub, J K Blake, J J Alft, James Miller and O H Engel.

Hoehn was remanded before Justice Buth for the preliminary hearing and entered a plea of not guilty.  He has retained P J Winters to defend him. 

Just prior to the trouble with Gollupsky, Hoehn had been released from a charge of assault and battery upon the person of Otto Klitz, which took place last Tuesday.  He pleaded not guilty to the charge when arraigned and was released on bail.  It was just after paying the fine that he encountered Gollupsky and had the quarrel that ended so fatally.



Thurs 7 Aug 1913

Herman Hoehn Charged Murder  Result Of Assault On Ed Gelupske of Pella

Quarreled Over Name

In all probability there will be two cases of murder tried during the next term of circuit court; the defendant in one case will be Tom Hammer and the defendant in the other will be Herman Hoehn, now under arrest and awaiting trial for the killing of Ed Gelupski in an encounter last Saturday afternoon just back of Wege’s saloon.  The preliminary hearing will be held next Tuesday.

Two weeks prior to the occasion which caused the death, Herman Hoehn had been married.  At the wedding a quarrel had ensued and a fight taken place, and for a part taken in this fight, Hoehn had come to town on that day, appeared before justice court and had paid his fine.  He went into Wege’s saloon and met Ed Gelupske, and in the dispute between the two men which followed over the wedding fracas false names were called and epithets thrown out at the other.  Hoehn had ordered the drinks and the round was being taken of when Gelupske left the room via the back door.  Hoehn followed him out and there the fight took place.  There were two eye witnesses to the affray; one being John Ray who followed the men out of the saloon and the other was Mrs. Holtz who looked down upon them from the balcony where her clothes reel is located.  One of the men picked up a piece of gas-pipe as he went out of the door and the two men grappled with it.  It is alleged that it was with this gas pipe that Hoehn struck his victim over the head and thereby caused his death.  The man fell to the ground but afterwards got up and would have gone home, but Will McDonald intercepted him and told him to go and wash the blood from his face.  The injured man was taken to Dr. Stubenvoll’s office and then to the hospital, where he died Monday afternoon.  Meantime the gas pipe had been taken to the county jail and had been securely locked in the vault.  Then Sheriff Otto and Officer Howe went out to Belle Plaine and arrested Hoehn of the charge of assault.  But on Monday, the charge was withdrawn and the prisoner was re-arrested on the charge of murder.  The editor of the Journal had an interview with Hoehn, on Tuesday, and found him in a very abject mood.  He talked freely of the affair and declared his innocence over and over again.  He had retained Paul Winter for his defense and seems confident that he will be freed.  The feeling among the people who talked of the case seems to be that he will be convicted and the only question is that of the degree to which he will be found guilty.  His parents and young wife have been to see him at the jail.  When speaking of them he broke down and wept but brightened up again when he declared that if given a fair trial he will clear himself.  The defense will without doubt be either that of self-defense or accident.  The slain man was twenty-eight years of age.  He was unmarried.  The funeral was held this afternoon in Rev. Stubevoll’s church In Pella.



Tues 20 Apr 1915

Girl Murdered At Keshena Saturday

Shot By Jim Waupoose

Without Any Warning While Returning Home From A Ride With A Rival Suitor

Attempts Suicide Following Firing Fatal Shots  

Was Operated On Last Night, Is In Low Condition

Funeral of the Dead Girl Was Held This Morning at Keshena.  One of the coldest blooded murders that have taken place in Shawano County for years was on the Menominee reservation at about ten o’clock, Saturday night when Miss Mary Dickson, the postmistress of Keshena was murdered, and the murderer then shot himself twice and is in a serious condition.

The facts as we learn them are about as follows:  Miss Dickson was returning home from Shawano with Ruben Long, a young Menominee Indian, and reached the reservation at about ten o’clock.  When about one-quarter of a mile from the school house farm, Jim Waupoose, who was laying in waiting for the girl, stepped into the road and fired two shots at his victim, both hitting her, one in the face and the other in the neck.  He then turned the gun on himself, and shot twice more, falling in the road.  When the first shot was fired Long jumped from the buggy and ran away.  After the second shot the pony started for home, and nearly reached the gate before the body of the young lady fell from the buggy.  Both bodies were discovered shortly afterwards by an auto party.  When Waupoose was found, it was discovered that he was not dead, and was taken to the hospital, where he is in a very serious condition, and is not thought that he will recover.  He has been away from the reservation for five or six years and has been with a moving picture concern in Minneapolis, and returned last Wednesday, and but few knew he was home.  He does not have a very good character.

The victim of this terrible deed was about twenty-four years old and was postmistress of Keshena, and she was highly spoken of.  She was quite well known in Shawano, and was in several of the stores Saturday afternoon.  The funeral of the dead girl was held this morning at the Catholic Church at Keshena, and it was largely attended by her many friends

Later – A phone message from Keshena Tuesday morning gave us the information that an operation was performed on Waupoose last night and that he is about the same as he was yesterday.  The chances for his recovery are slim.



Thurs 22 Apr 1915

Attempted Suicide Follows Murder Miss Mary Dixon

The Postmistress At Keshena Shot Down In Cold Blood

Jealousy Was Motive

James Waupoose, Assailant, Fired Two Shots Into His Own Head To Take Life

Miss Mary Dixon postmistress at the official office at Keshena was shot and instantly killed about 10 o’clock on Saturday evening.  There are, as is usually the case where tragedies of such appalling nature occur in communities where everyone is acquainted with the people implicated in the affair, many conflicting reports as to the exact nature of the occurrence.  Through conversations with Supt. Nickolson, Assistant Supt. Marle, Mr. Dixon, brother of the slain girl, Jerome Law and others who live on the reservation, we have gleaned the following story, which we believe to be the true delineation of the facts:

Miss Dixon, who was about 23 years of age, has been for the last six months postmistress of Keshena.  Last Saturday evening after closing up her work for the day she hired Ruben Long to take her to Shawano, where she transacted some business.  After doing her shopping and attending to the details of other business matters, she started back with her driver toward her home which is adjacent to the Government buildings, about a quarter of a mile south of the Agency office.  Some-where near the south line of the reservation it seems that Peter Wishecoby approached the rig and asked “Is this Miss Dixon?” and being answered in the affirmative asked her to get out of the rig, telling her that a man wants to see her and upon her inquiring who the man was, was told that it was James Waupoose.  At this juncture Waupoose came forward and in turn demanded that Miss Dixon get out of the rig.  Ruben Long, the driver, nudge his companion in a signal to remain where she was.  A brief exchange of words followed and Waupoose drawing from his pocket a 22 caliber revolver shot the postmistress full in the face.  The driver, seeing the flash, fled to the woods and as he jumped from the rig a second shot was fired which went through Miss Dixon’s neck.  It is believed that the second shot was intended for Long.  Left without a driver the pony which had taken the ill-fated party to Shawano went on toward home, and as he stopped at the gate the lifeless form of Waupoose’s victim fell to the ground.   Meanwhile Waupoose had turned the weapon upon himself and had fired two shots into his own head in an attempt to end his life.  Wishecoby ran terrified to the Agency office and gave the alarm.  The Agency doctor at Keshena, Dr. Ragan of Neopit, Dr. Mueller of Shawano, and the undertaker Garfield were summoned who together with the officials of the reservation, hurried to the scene of the tragedy.  Waupoose was taken to the hospital where he was on Monday night by Dr. Bellin assisted by the two Drs. Ragan and the Dr. at Keshena operated on in an effort to save his life.  It is said that he is a far way to recover since the bullets did not enter the brain.  On the body of the murdered girl were found letters and papers which in all probability will play an important part in the investigation.

Waupoose is generally conceded to be a bad character.  He had been suspected of being implicated in the mysterious disappearance of some Indian ponies for this and other acts he had been ordered off the Reservation.  He is the one who was connected with the moving picture company in Minneapolis as an employee who posed as an Indian warrior and horseman.  A short time ago he returned from Minneapolis and was warned to remain off the Reservation, but has evidently been secreted for the past several days in the homes of some of his Menominee friends.  Under the federal laws the person who is associated with anyone who commits a crime is himself deemed as accessory before and after the fact, and is held co-responsible with the principal.  Wishecoby is therefore under arrest and will stand trial on that issue.  Alex Dixon, popularly known as “Bony” Dixon, who is playing with the Appleton base ball club of the W-1 League, is a brother of the murdered girl.

Monday morning the post office inspector arrived and went immediately to Keshena where he checked up the post office preparatory to turning it over to Miss Dixon’s successor.



Tues 29 June 1915

Waupoose is a prisoner in the jail, awaiting the outcome of the application for the commutation of a sentence of life imprisonment in Fort Leavenworth penitentiary.  A petition was sent Friday to President Wilson by William J Kershaw, attorney for the Indian.

Although it is believed that the Indian is gradually losing his mind from the effects of self-inflicted wounds, he does not show the slightest fear of death.   If the order of the court is to be enforced, Waupoose expresses the wish that the hanging take place in some place other than the Indian reservation in Shawano County.

While awaiting word from the President the Indian is making plans to have physicians examine him as to his sanity.  He attempted suicide after killing the postmistress and one of the bullets was extracted while the other is lodged in the head.  This bullet is producing pressure against the brain and Waupoose says the constant headaches and terrific pains are slowly driving him insane.

“I know I am not in my right mind at present” he said.  “I have continuous feeling one receives when striking his head against a wall or produced by a fall.  My mind is not clear and every-thing appears hazy to me and looks to be cloudy.”




Thurs 18 Mar 1915

Shooting Affair Proves Fatal

Gust Kinkel, Business Man at Marion Died This Morning from Wounds Inflected

Dr. Krupsack Arrested

Defense in the Court Will Probably Be That of the Un-written Law.  The Village of Marion is wrought up over the alleged shooting of Gust Kinkel, a prominent business man and clerk of the village.  Dr. Krupsack, a veterinarian is out on bonds, under arrest, for having done the shooting.  The unwritten law, it is said, will be Dr. Krupsack’s defense against the charge of murder.  Mr. Mr. Kinkel died this morning.

According to the information we have received, Mr. Kinkel was seen in the back yard of Dr. Krupsack’s residence on Tuesday evening, at a time when the Doctor was supposed not to be home.  A shot was fired and Mr. Kinkel escaped to a neighboring saloon, but said nothing about the incident.  He took a drink, so we are informed, and went directly to his own home.  His wife was away, but his oldest daughter noticed that he looked pale and asked what was the matter.  “Oh nothing,” Mr. Kinkel is said to have answered.  Burt upon removing his coat, underclothes were found to be saturated with blood.  Two doctors were summoned and it was found that the bullet had entered his abdomen.  He was hurried to Wausau on the midnight train where at the hospital it was found that the wound was so extensive that there would be very little hopes of his recovery.  He died this morning.




Thurs 7 1915

William LaBelle Is Murdered

Man Charged With The Murder Lies At Point Of Death In An Antigo Hospital

A Menominee Indian

Affray Took Place at James Polar’s Home Sunday Afternoon.  Polar was stabbed.  William LaBelle, a Menominee Indian is dead.  Frank Congleton is charged with murder in the first degree and lies in the Antigo Hospital badly wounded, and James Polar, Sr., is in a serious condition from a wound in the groin as the result of a stabbing affray at the home of Polar in the Town of Ainsworth on Sunday night.  Information of what took place did not reach District Attorney C J LeSelle until three o’clock on Tuesday morning and with Sheriff Thomas Ford he left at once for the scene of the murder. The district attorney and sheriff returned at noon, but left soon after-ward to conduct an investigation, Jim Polar, Jr. is being sought as a witness.

According to information obtained by District Attorney Deselle, Frank Congleton, on his way home from Crandon, Sunday night stopped at the home of James Polar, Sr.  Mr. Polar invited Congleton to remain there over night and brought him a pair of moccasins and a picture which he said was Christmas gifts.  James Polar, Jr. and William LaBelle were present at the time and it is alleged that young Polar felt offended that Congleton was given the picture and grabbed it out of his hand.  From this point the stories vary widely.  It is alleged that Congleton to soften the resentment of Polar offered him whiskey and it appears that all present shared with him in the refreshments.

A quarrel ensued in which Congleton is alleged to have stabbed LaBelle in the back and in the arm.  The Polars tried to defend the Indian from the attack and after he had been stabbed alleged to have struck Congleton twice over the head inflicting bad cuts.  Congleton escaped on foot as the Polars are said to have kept him from getting his horse and buggy.  By the time he reached the home of William Caneen he had become unconscious.  Dr. Dalley was called to attend LaBelle who died while he was being removed to the Antigo Hospital.  James Polar, Sr. will be brought to the hospital late today.




Thurs 12 Aug 1915

Our Story of Bonduel Murder

Mother and Three Boys Implicated In Death Of Alb. Herms Owner Of Big Farm

Body Thrown On Track  To Be Run Over By Train Thus To Throw Off Suspicion Of The Real Murderers

By their own confession to District Attorney Andrews, Mrs. Alb. Herms, and her three boys, Julius, Jappert, and Paul were implicated in the murder of Albert Herms at the Herms farm two miles east of Bonduel Tuesday evening at about six o’clock.  Then to cover up the crime they took the body to the railroad track and threw in unto the track in front of the west bound limited to create the impression that death was caused by an accident.  This is the story as we learned it:

 On the road between Cecil and Bonduel is a trestle bridge where the railroad track is elevated over the highway, which place is well known to everybody who ever went from Cecil to Bonduel.  Now just down the track east toward Zachow, say eighty rods is another bridge, where just the reverse conditions are found, that is the highway is elevated over the railway about forty feet.  At this place, Wednesday morning, the train crew found the body of a man horribly mangled as bad as you can possibly imagine.  They reported the discovery to Walter H Garfield, coroner, who ordered Fred Freimuth, the Bonduel undertaker to take the body in charge.  Then Mr. Garfield went to Bonduel, and to get the story first hand, we went with him.  In the meantime, Dr. Fuller had notified District Attorney Andrews of the case and asked that he come at once for the indication suggested foul play.  We went directly to the bridge and just as we arrived, Attorney Andrews, Sheriff Anderson, Under-sheriff Koeppen and Gust Martin came upon the scene.  The investigation began at once.  It was found that the buggy had been tipped up against the railings of the bridge to make the appearance that the old man had been thrown over unto the track by a frightened horse.  But the work was crude.  The track showed very clearly that the buggy had been placed in that position, the tracks in the sand even showing how the wheel had been pulled out to make the buggy lean farther over.  The hold-back strap had been cut with a knife, and the whipped-tree, instead of being broken forward was broken upward.  The buggy was old and the excelsior stuffing was exposed; this was much stained with blood, and the man who was supposed to have made the blood stains was forty feet below in a mangled heap.

Suspicion fastened upon the man’s family, and so the officers, the Journal Editor, Rev. Mueller, Gust Martin, Albert Graf, Fred Freimuth, Fred Rueckert and H Berkhahn went out to the house.  And such a home.  We have read stories of people living in dire squalor, but had never actually seen it.  We’ve seen it now, for conditions couldn’t be worse.  It is said that the father and mother are first cousins, and that there are sixteen children in the family.  As we went in we found one small child feeding the young baby out of a nursing bottle.  We’re not going to try to describe the house, for it can’t be done, and even if it could, you wouldn’t believe it unless you saw it with your own eyes.  To be perfectly candid, none of the older children that we saw looked bright; they appeared in fact to be degenerates and simple minded.  An incident will give an idea.  When Albert Graf went out early in the morning when it was thought that the death was an accident he asked the mother if Albert was at home.  “No’ was an answer.  “Well” said Graf, “you had best come along with me, there has been a man killed down at the track, and we are afraid it is Albert.”  “Ach Gott” said the woman in German, “I can’t go now, and I haven’t had my breakfast yet.”  District Attorney Andrews began immediately to work on the case.  The women and all the children denied that they knew anything about it, and all stuck to their story.  The evidence began to come in.  Broken sticks with blood on them were found near the barn, and then a stick was found with gray hair lodged in the slivers.  All this time, Rev. Mueller and the other men of the party who could speak German, tried to get the truth out of the family and the others of the party searched the premises.  Then blood was found in the barn on the straw and a washing of men’s clothing still was on the line.  But the family stuck to their story, although they made it more and more confusing.

It was decided to take the family to Bonduel, that is, the mother and the older boys and so the autos were loaded up.  Half way to town we met Julius, the older boy, who had been all morning in Bonduel, coming toward home.  He was picked up by the sheriff’s rig and was taken back with the others.  From this Julius, Mr. Andrews succeeded in getting a confession, when he got him alone at Bonduel, and the others owned up.  The story told by Julius is about like this:  Tuesday afternoon, the father had taken a load of pigs to Cecil and had sold them.  When he returned, there was a general family row, helped on by too much drinking, and in the mêlée the father was killed.  Then they took him to the trestle over the track and disposed of him just as people had suspected.  The prisoners were brought to Shawano and were placed in jail.  Here their stories conflicted and each began laying the blame on the others.  An inquest is being held at Bonduel today and in all probability the case will come up for trial at the next term of court.  The history of the family is a sad story in which booze and degeneracy have played the leading roles.  The murdered man was fifty-six years old, and the owner of three hundred twenty-five acres of land.  The arrangements for the funeral will be made by civic committee authorities until other arrangements are made.  Chairman Graf will appoint someone to look after the farm and the stock.




Thurs 26 Aug 1915


The Herms Boys Are Bound Over To Stand Trial

For First Degree Murder At The December Term Of Court

Court Room Crowded With People From Bonduel And From Shawano On Friday To Hear Evidence Given.  The court room was crowded to its capacity Friday with people who came to hear the preliminary trial of Julius and Gabert Herms for the murder of their father.  The crowd was made up mostly with people from Bonduel and Shawano.  There was nothing new brought out at the trial; nothing but what has already been known and talked about wherever people have any interest in the trial.  Justice Buth bound both boys over to Circuit Court for trial at the December term, and they were re-consigned to the county jail without bail.  District Attorney Andrews appeared for the sate and M G Eberlein for the defense.  Owing to the evident lack of mentality on the part of the boys, the case will take on an added element of difficulty to determine wherein justice of punishment lies.


Thurs 6 July 1916

George Bischoff is Murdered

Son Of Fisherman, Who Lives On South Shore O Lake, Killed In Oshkosh.

Was A Taxicab Driver

No Clue Found To The Guilty Person And No Motive Can Be Ascribed For Act.  George Bischoff, son of Mr. Bischoff, the fisherman who lives on the shore of Shawano Lake half-way between Shawano and Cecil, was shot and almost instantly killed at an early hour Tuesday morning, in Oshkosh.  Young Bischoff, who was known in Oshkosh as Bishop, was a taxicab driver in the Sawdust City.  Who the person was who did the shooting is a matter of deep mystery, there being no tangible clue upon which to base an investigation.  The motive for the killing is likewise completely shrouded in doubt.  The case is so marked with contradictions, discrepancies and inconsistencies as to make it difficult for any intelligent solution of the crime to be made.  The public is inclined to the belief that it was a case of murder.  Some indications point to robbery as the motive.  Other phases of the incident indicate deliberate murder for some real or fancied revenge.  The exact hour of which the tragedy took place is not definitely known.  It is certain that Bischoff west to his death as the result of a telephone call sent from the English Kitchen restaurant by a man who is believed to have been picked up by Bischoff as a passenger.  There are marked discrepancies between the stories of a man who heard the call and the one who received it.


Shawano County Journal  

Thurs 14 Dec 1916

Assaulted Man Dies

Fellow Who Was Waylaid On Road by Highwaymen Is Dead From Wounds Received

Our readers will remember that about a year ago the sheriff went down to the country the other side of Pulaski and arrested a couple of bad ones who had waylaid a man named Roman Jiminiak, on a country road between Pulaski and Sobieski.  This case is brought to light again because the victim, Jiminiak, died Tuesday afternoon at a Green Bay hospital, from wounds received in the waylaying which occurred at the above time.

The man was shot in the back and left for dead by two highway men.  He was later found and brought to a local hospital, where he lay near death ever since.

Two men are being held for the alleged shooting, and it is said will be brought to trial in Oconto county.  Shortly after he was brought to the hospital Jiminiak identified the men as being implicated in the affair.

Robbery was said to have been the motive for the shooting, Jiminiak, just returned from the south woods, carried a large roll of money.  He exhibited his savings to some acquaintances in a saloon in Oconto County.



Tues 27 Feb 1917

About two weeks ago a young Indian girl by the name of Florence Sullivan was murdered by James House in a cabin near Beaver.  It seems that George Peters, who is wanted on the reservation, is also mixed up in the deal.  The deceased was quite well known.  The remains were brought to Shawano and taken to Keshena for burial.