Search billions of records on

Shawano In The News



Feb 14 1867

Serious Accident - We learn that Mr. Edmond Hutchins engaged in driving a logging team at Casey's Camp, five miles from the village, was seriously injured on Monday last. While going down a hill, the horses under full headway, the whiffletrees became detached, and he was dragged in front of the sleds, which passed over his body crushing his left hip badly and inflicting other severe bruises. He is probably crippled for life.



Mar 7 1867

Information Wanted, of the where-abouts of one Herman Kenfield. he left the state of New York about seventeen years ago and settled some where in Wisconsin. Was heard of indirectly some four or five years ago. His youngest daughter, Sarah, is now in Little Chute, Outagamie county, and earnestly desires to hear from him. Please contact to James Whitman, Little Chute, Wis.


Died - In this village on the 2d inst. Charles A., Son of H. H. and Esther Martin, aged 6 years and 3 months.


Fire - Dwelling House Burned

On Monday morning last about seven o'clock, the residence of Dr. C. Barrows, a two story frame house, and one among the best in the village was totally destroyed by fire. A crowd of our citizens were on hand to render assistance immediately after the alarm was given, but the fire had already made such headway as to render efforts to extinguish it useless, and their attention was turned to saving what they could of the contents of the building, which there was barely time to do.  The fire caught from a stove pipe running up through the floor and roof of the wing of the building, and the whole attic inside was in flames and burning through the roof before it was perceived.  The main part of the building could have been saved by tearing away the roof of the wing, but the necessary apparatus for that purpose, hooks and ladders, were wanting, and it is doubtful whether water enough could have been found in the neighborhood to do any good.  The loss of the building is estimated at about $1,000—no insurance that we are aware of.  Dr. B. also lost, besides the building and such property as could not be saved, his coat, which had in the breast pocket his pocket book, containing $25 in money and papers of value.  He threw it off in the upper part of the building and rushed down to get onto the roof, where he thought the fire could be more easily reached, and when he returned for it, the fire had swept it away.  The lower front floor of the main building was occupied by Mrs. W. C. Mackay and her 2 children, who had but lately recovered from sickness, and Mrs. B. was also quite unwell—but the fiery element was no respecter of persons that morning, and they all awoke to find themselves obliged to make an abrupt change from a comfortable room to the frosty morning air.

The loss is severe upon Dr. Burrows, to say nothing of the inconvenience of being burned out at a time when there is not an unoccupied house in the village that we know of; but we hope that the doctor will be able soon to see himself the proprietor of as good a dwelling as the one burned down.



Stockbridge Forever ! Twenty-one Pounds of Girls.

We learn that the wife of Mr. Martin Cooper, a well to do Stockbridge farmer, on Friday morning gave birth to three healthy girls, weighing 7 pounds each. With the exception of one of the girls, which died from some accidental cause shortly after it was born, the mother and children are reported doing well. The parents we understand, full-blooded members of the Stockbridge tribe of Indians, who are about disposing of their lands in this section and moving south.



Mar 14 1867

Rape Case - Alex Smith, arrested on the charge of committing rape upon a Mrs. Meilke, of the town of Belle Plaine, passed his examination before Judge Jos. Maurer on the 7th inst., at which enough testimony was recited to warrant his being held for trial at the next term of the Circuit Court, and he is now confined to jail. The prisoner is represented by those who know him as a half-witted fellow who's confinement in some proper asylum would be a benefit to himself and the community at large.



Mar 28 1867

Died - In Richmond, on Tuesday morning, March 19th 1867, David Mortimer, infant son of William F and Lydia W Maxfield, aged one year 2 months and 18 days.



28 Mar 1867

Town of Pella

Mr. Journal:--I take the liberty of giving you a few items of local interest with regard to our town, to show you and the good people in other parts of the county that Pella is stirring itself to some purpose, though very little is heard of its outside of its limits, and improvements have been made and are contemplated that will ere long tell to its advantage for a new place.  On the 2d of March, the School Board of District No. 1 let the contract for building the school house for $450, and the clearing of the ground (half an acre) for $38.  Changes are going on rapidly in the town, as new settlers come in; among these lately, was the sale, by Mr. Fred. Elert, of his farm to Mr. Malow and son for $1,200, and the sale by Mr. Malow of his farm to Mr. Fence, for $1,000.  Dr. William Perry, of New London, formerly a resident of this town, has got in his materials for putting up a saw mill next summer; and I hear that parties interested here contemplate the erection of a grist mill, the work to be commenced this season.  Some settlers have lately moved into the north part of the town, and they say that this spring many more families are coming in.

The pioneers of this town settled here in 1858, since which time it has advanced steadily, though no effort was made to attract attention to the place.  The building of the saw-mill by Mr. Domke, last season, did away with a great draw-back upon the improvement and growth of the town, which was the difficulty of procuring suitable lumber for building.  We shall soon have everything we desire for a profitable business place—a doctor with his medicines, churches of different denominations, a public school, etc., added to a wagon shop, a carpenter and joiner shop, masons, a blacksmith shop, and a store, with which we are already provided.  When the Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railroad runs near the place—and I understand the route is laid about 15 miles from here—all we can ask for is a long life, which, of course, we cannot command.  Our post-office, which was much needed, will be opened, and the mails arrive to and depart from here, after the 1st day of July next.  What we do want, right away, is a good milliner; a first class one will do a good business here.

The land in and around Pella is the best for farming in the North-west; the soil being rich, with occasionally a stony place.  The farmers who have settled here say they have done better, with less labor, considering the heaviness of the timber, than they could have done on prairie land; they have all prospered, and are always ready to pay their taxes, however enormous without a murmur.  There is plenty of good land yet open to the settler at a fair price, though how long it will remain so, depends upon the “turn of the tide” of emigration, which is as likely to throw itself northward as southward—wherever natural advantages invite it.


Division of the County.—It is almost absurd to speak of it, but we hear of a scheme silly on foot to set off range 14 from Waupaca and range 15 from Outagamie to form a new county with New London as the county seat.  If the plan should carry, it would about double the taxation of those towns without any benefit except perhaps to a dozen or twenty individuals.  But the projectors of this enterprise evidently forgot that neither Waupaca nor Outagamie can be divided without a vote of the people of each county.—Appleton Crescent.




18 Apr 1867

Horrible Tragedy at Omro

Omro, Winnebago County April 9

 The usually quiet village of Omro was thrown into quite an excitement yesterday by the report that a woman had poisoned herself and infant child. The rumor proved to be only too true.

The circumstances that led to and the particulars of this cold-blooded murder and suicide of the murderess, as near as I can gather them, are as follows;

The suicide – a Mrs. Furmon – separated from her husband about two years ago, since which time she has supported herself by work, a part of the time housekeeping for a man of this city, and to whom it was reported she was to be married as soon as she could procure a “bill” from her husband. A very few days since this man was married. Since this marriage has been made public, Mrs. Furmon has, it is reported, frequently said that she did not care to live, and that she would “make way with herself.”  Yesterday morning she took her child (thirteen months old) and had their picture taken together. I have the picture now before me. She appears to be comely, fair looking woman of about 30 years of age. The child is large and as perfect a picture of health as one could wish to look upon. After the picture was taken she went to a friend’s house to spend the day. At the dinner table she brought up the subject of self-destruction, and asked her host if he thought q suicide’s soul could be saved. He said he thought not, and read to her from the bible to sustain him in his views. After dinner she went down town to a druggist and purchased half a drachm of strychnine, and returned to the house. She told the druggist that she wanted the strychnine to poison rats with. At the house, she asked the wife of her host if she would keep her child for a few months as she wished to go off and find her husband. The lady declined to keep the child, as she had several children of her own.

 A little after five o’clock Mrs. Furmon called for some milk in a cup, to feed her baby. It was given her, and then unseen by any eye except that of the Omnipotent, she emptied the fatal poison into the cup and commenced feeding the same to her baby. After a few teaspoonfuls had been taken by the child she sat the cup on a shelf, and in a few moments the child was taken violently sick. Several female neighbors were at once called in and a physician sent for, but in a short time the child was dead. During the paroxysms of the child the mother frequently asked if the child would die, and when the child was dead she would not believe it for some little time, and asked the neighbors if they were sure the child was really dead, were they sure it did not breathe. When she had become satisfied that her babe had passed from earth, she said she wished to die too, and go with her child and be buried in the same coffin. She now went to the shelf and took the cup and drank some of the milk, and in a moment turned and said she felt sick, then took the cup and again drank. She then passed into a side room and lay down on a bed. She soon called to the neighbors to come in where she was. They went in and found her suffering severely from the effects of the poison. They seemed now to have thought for the first time about her threats of self destruction.

When the truth flashed upon them that she had poisoned her child and herself, a physician was at once sent for, but the woman was dead before he reached the house. She died in ten to twelve minutes after drinking the poison.

A coroner’s jury was summoned last night and the verdict was that the child and woman came to their death by poison administered by the latter.

A very large number of people have visited the house to view the bodies today, myself among the number. The woman looked pale, her lips slightly swollen, but otherwise not unnatural. The child looked as though it was asleep, as it quietly lay in the arms of its dead, but most unnatural mother and murderer. The two bodies were buried this afternoon in the same coffin.    F. W. Hart

Log rolling - This delicate and safe pastime is being vigorously pushed at the numerous log-ways in this section, and so far we have not heard of any accident to those engaged in it, though some narrow escapes are reported. It seems easy enough to escape, when you see thirty or forty logs rolling affectionately down towards you. all you have to do is to pitch head-first into the gentle waters, dive to the bottom, and stay there till the danger is past. Very pleasant and cool, and you get pay for your time while lying at the bottom, unless you stay to long.


Shawano County Journal

Apr 25, 1867


Indian Chief Murdered - an Indian Chief, belonging to Hole-in-the-Day's delegation, was murdered on the railroad track, just above the depot, Friday night, where he was found this morning with a frightful cut in his side. It is supposed that he was killed by the Winnebago's that are prowling around the city, but nothing is known definitely about it. Hole-in-the-day provided for a decent burial of the victim before the delegation left for up river this morning. - La Crosse Republican, 17th.




30 May 1867

 A Horrible Occurrence – An Infant Outraged and then Stabbed

 Our village was thrown into quite a state of excitement last week by the report that a little daughter of Daniel Noble, of Belle Plaine, in this county, had been outrages and then stabbed by a young man, named Joseph Deleglize, of that place. The little sufferer was attended by Dr. Stevens who informs us that he found the child in a very critical condition, there being a deep and dangerous wound in the upper portion of the abdomen and a portion of the stomach and intestines protruding, he immediately placed the little one under the influence of Chloroform, enlarged the aperture, replaced the protruding portions and then dressed the wound, the crisis has passed and there is every reason to believe that she will recover. After stabbing the child young Deleglize, fled towards Appleton, a warrant was issued and placed in the hands of Sheriff Wiley who immediately started for Appleton by way of Green Bay, with the intentions of heading him off, in the meantime he was met on the road near New London, by parties who had heard of the occurrence, and promptly arrested and brought before D. H. Pulcifer, Esq., by John Hedges of Belle Plaine. When brought into court for examination he made a full confession, stating that he had decoyed the child out of the house and into the underbrush and then outraged her person, But that as the little girl cried and would not stay with him he drew a butcher knife and holding her, with her clothing raised stabbed her. The sentence of Squire Pulcifer was that the prisoner “be confined in the County jail until the next term of the Circuit Court to answer to the charge of Rape on the person of Mary Noble, as infant of the age of five years.” The prisoner is about twenty years of age, with rather a weak intellect but has never heretofore been considered as a dangerous person. The penalty for the fearful crime which he has committed is imprisonment for life.


A Mistake – In our mention of the rape case last week in which Alex Smith figures as a “half-witted fellow whose confinement is some proper asylum would be a benefit to himself and the people at large,” we got his matters slightly mixed with the affairs of the young man who is now in jail for committing a like crime on Mr. Noble’s child. Alex is not a fool by any means, if he did get drunk; but we must inform Alex, that although the law will, under the circumstances, probably be easy on him, drunkenness is no excuse for any such acts. We hope that his confinement will reform him is at least the one incentive to most crimes- drinking to excess.


Jun 6 1867


A Belgian, whose name we could not learn, had one of his legs sawed off in Wolf's mill on Monday. He stumbled, in some way, in front of a large circular saw, which took his leg off just below the knee. Dr. Crane was immediately called who made the amputation above the knee. The doctor informs us that the man is now doing well.


A shooting affray occurred in Fort Howard on Wednesday morning, (29th) wherein Mr. Patrick Hunt was shot in the face, the ball going in near the chin and coming out under the ear. The assailant was Michael O. Aigan, who has been indicted. The difficulty arose out of a lawsuit. Aigain is now in jail.


An Indian was run over by the cars near Wrightstown, last week, and killed. He was intoxicated and laid across the track asleep.  The engineer did not discover him in Time to stop the train.


As the Green Bay train was coming up on Friday last, it ran over a man near Fort Atkinson, who was standing on the track.  Being deaf, he did not hear the alarm, and was thrown from the track; killing him instantly.


Indian Payment.—Major Martin, Indian Agent, commenced paying off the Stockbridge and Menomonee tribes of Indians at Keshena yesterday.  Up to last accounts good order prevailed among the Indians; and we have not heard of an instance where pay was refused.  We want to be aborigines.





Jun 13, 1867


Died - At Shawano, after a lingering illness, Captain James I Whitehouse, aged 72 years and two months.


Keshena Trading House.—During the process of the late Indian payment at Keshena, a change took place in the proprietorship of the Indian trading house at that place, H. M. Cady, Esq., of the city of Green Bay, buying out the interest of Messrs. C. M. Upham, O. Andrew and Jos. Gauthier, in the Indian trade there.  Mr. Cady is an old resident in this part of the State, well posted in Indian matters and their wants, and the Indians will find in him an honest friend.  We understand that Capt. Wm. Powell, the late popular and gentlemanly Indian Interpreter will act as clerk for the new establishment.  Mr. Cody will probably move his family to Keshena in the course of the summer.  Success to him.

Mr. Powell having resigned the place of Interpreter, Mr. Gauthier has been appointed his successor.




Jul 11, 1867


Fatal Accident - We learn that a little boy about six years of age, a son of Mr. Peter Martin, living in the town of Angelica, was accidentally killed on Saturday last, by the falling of some logs from an old out building, on the roof of which he and his sister had climbed. On jumping down, the logs were displaced, and one fell upon the boy's head, breaking his neck. The little girl escaped injury.




Jul 25, 1867


Fatal Accident - We learn that last week a little boy belonging to a newly arrived German family, in the town of Waukechon, was killed by eh falling of a tree upon him, which his father was cutting down near the house for fear that it would fall upon it during a high wind. The poor child had rushed out of the house to give his father a piece of cake that his mother had baked for him, just as the tree was falling.


Fire in the Woods.—For the past week more or less smoke has been visible from the woods off to the west showing that a considerable fire has been running around loose among the pine lumber there-about. These fires are no doubt the result of carelessness, and the damage done in most cases insignificant; but we have known such fires to destroy a vast amount of valuable timber and other property in a very short time and we advise parties employed in the woods to be cautious.




Aug 15, 1867

 Circuit Court

The late session of the Circuit Court in this village adjourned Saturday afternoon, after disposing of the only three cases on the docket, and the farmers and others on the jury were not sorry that the business of the term was so soon accomplished. The case of Alex Smith, indictment for rape, resulted in his release with a fine of $5. The case of Joseph Deleglize, also for rape, was ably argued by Messer’s. Andrews and Fleker for the prosecution and Col. Myers, of Appleton, for the defense, and the jury rendered a verdict against the prisoner, who was sentenced to State Prison for life.

Sheriff Wiley left for Waupun with his prisoner last Wednesday.



Oct 17, 1867

Serious Accident – Mr. Thomas F. Buck met with a serious accident last Monday evening. It seems that while on his way from the village to Mr. J. L. Whitehouse’s place, about 3 ½ miles, he accidently fell out of the wagon and one of the hind wheels ran over him cutting a deep gash into his head and was badly hurt in other places. He was taken into the house near by, and Dr. Stevens dressed his wounds. He is doing well. Some assert that the left fore wheel came off, and was the cause of Mr. B’s fall.


Married  - Christenson – Wilkes – At the residence of Wm. Wilkes, Esq., on October 13th, 1867, by D. H. Pulcifer, Esq., Mr. Hance Christenson, of Pine River, Waushara Co., to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Wilks, of Richmond, Shawano Co.

The newly married pair receive our hearty congratulations, and may they live long and happily.




Dec 14, 1867

Fatal AccidentJohn Hoffman, a young man 20 years of age, residing in the town of Pella, died the 7th inst., from injuries received in the abdomen while hauling hay about two weeks previous, the full particulars of which we failed to learn. He was an estimable young man and his funeral – which took place on the 10th – was largely attended.