Search billions of records on

Shawano In The News

Kaukauna Sun

12 March 1897

 Premeditated and Deliberate Murder !

Porter Ross Shoots His Wife and His Sister-In-Law

Wounds Fred Scharbo of Appleton and Badly scares a Companion


A case so rotten in details that a full report is unfit for publication - the end of a long drawn out family quarrel – the murderer tries to shield himself under the plea of self-defense – the statement of Mrs. Beaulieu keeper of the resort – dying statement of Nellie Duprey – reads like a mystery.


Porter Ross of this city killed his wife, sister-on-law, and Katie Duprey, and wounded Fred Scharbo of Appleton, in Mrs. Louise Beaulieu’s resort, just north of the city limits, Monday afternoon at three o’clock. Ross claims the shooting was done in self-defense, but from evidence gathered by a representative of The Sun we believe the murder to be premeditated, deliberate and most foul. His wife was a frequenter of resorts before he married her and Ross was fully cognizant of that fact as he stated in his confession at the jail. His sister-in-law was a woman of the same character.  The three were continually at sword’s point and could not live together. It was the final termination of a family quarrel that had been running fire for the past three years.


Ross went out to the resort determined to put an end to his wife and her sister and all concerned. We print his confession and version of the affair, although we do not believe a word a word of the account of the shooting. It was written and set up before we were fully acquainted with all the details of this demoralizing case.


The reader will notice that Ross makes himself appear as though he was a piece of abused humanity, all through his recital. Following is the statement made by Ross;


Monday afternoon about two o’clock my wife, her sister and two men drove past my house in a sleigh attached to a team of horses. My little girl saw the party go by and she called my attention to them. When I came out of the house I saw my wife looking back and laughing – apparently at me. This was more than I could stand and I went directly to the livery stable, hired a horse and cutter and followed the party out in the country to Mrs. Beaulieu’s boarding house.


I saw they had stopped there as I expected – their team being hitched in front of the house. I hitched my horse and went inside. I found a young man sitting in the left hand corner of the front room. Mrs. Beaulieu was there also. I asked her for the two women that just came and she told me they were upstairs. I asked for the other young man and she said he was upstairs with them. I then asked the young man sitting in the corner if he was the one that came out with my wife, and he replied “no, I am a stranger here, I just came from Canada.” I told him that he was the one that drove the rig past my house. This he denied.


I told a girl I saw there to watch my horse, and Mrs. Beaulieu and myself went upstairs. She told them to open the door, but they would not, she made another demand and the door was opened. The two women were standing in the middle of the room and the man that I shot was standing at the left side of the door with his coat off. I went up to my wife, placed my hand on her shoulder and said: “My God Nellie, I have caught you in another place, same as I did a week ago.” I urged her to go home with me but she would not listen to me. She said “Go away I will not live with you, I am going to lead a gay life and a fast one.” I then told her that I would get a warrant for her arrest, as she must leave this place at once.


I turned around and all four of us went downstairs. As we were going down my wife said to her sister ”My God Katie! You have lead me to this.” After going downstairs we all stood in the kitchen talking when my wife’s sister addressed Scharbo saying, “Fred, kill the old --- of a -----.” Scharbo made for me and backed me up against a table that was standing in the corner. He struck me on the face, as you can see by the marks on my nose and cheek, in backing up I shoved my elbow through the window. I saw I was getting the worst of it and I pulled my gun and fired four times at Scharbo. When I shot the last time I saw my wife fall and I said, “My God what have I done; I have killed my poor wife.” I then turned the revolver on myself but it would not go off, all the chambers being empty.


While Scharbo was attacking me my wife kept saying “Give it to him Fred, give it to him.”  I then turned around to go and saw the man holding his hand on his breast; the other young man was still sitting in the corner. When I went outside to go away, I saw two other men running away going in the direction of Wrightstown. I went directly to the depot and gave myself up to Officer Reardon. This is a true statement of the whole affair as it took place as I remember it.


Ross although having murdered his wife was very talkative, continuing he said: My name is Porter Ross; I was born in New York state in 1842. I came to this city eleven years ago, and have lived her ever since, up to within three years. My first wife died in this city on the 24th of April, 1891. She left me three children, two girls, Carrie age 9 and Katie age 14 years and one son. I am a stone mason.


I first met my present wife at DePere in her father’s house, shortly after my first wife died. One of my neighbors told me about her, saying she would make a first class housekeeper. She worked for me several years and we were married. She had two children when I first knew her, Mamie who is now 7 and Willie 5 years old. When I married her I knew she was a bad woman, but she promised me so faithfully that she would reform, that I married her.


Three years ago my wife had me arrested claiming that I shot at her. The case was brought up in the justice court of this city, but I got cleared. I then went with her to Aniwa where we remained for six weeks, after which time I moved to Shawano. I lived there up until two months ago when I went to Menominee to live. My wife left me several times but I always managed to persuade her to quit her life of shame and return to her home and live with me.  After I was in Menominee a few weeks I met my wife and her sister on the street they were keeping rented rooms. I got my wife to return home with me and she stayed for three days, this was Sunday, January 1st of this year. She went over to Winneconne and stayed there Sunday night. She returned home Monday and her and her sister left the house again – her sister swore out a warrant for my arrest the charge being assault and battery. On Tuesday I had a jury trail and was acquitted.


I stayed in Menominee until three weeks ago, when I moved to this city. My wife nor her sister did not return with me but went to a place north of Menominee, called the “shanties.” Three weeks ago they returned to their home in DePere, and were also seen on the streets of Kaukauna, about the same time. They visited the resorts near this city for several days and then went to Appleton. One week ago last Saturday I went to Appleton and found my wife at a resort. I tried to get her to come home with me. While I was talking with her the woman of the house went upstairs and returned with a revolver under her apron. She scared my wife so that she would not leave with me. I then returned home and did not see my wife until she passed my house in the sleigh with her sister and two men.


Mrs. Louise Baeulieu, the keeper of the “Boarding house” where the tragedy took place, tells a different story regarding the shooting. Her story in conversation with a representative of The Sun is as follows;


Monday afternoon at two o’clock a sleigh containing two men and two women drove up to my house and stopped. One of the party entered the house and asked if they could stop and get warm. When the party got in the house and were seated, one of the girls said, “Here comes Ross.” He tied his horse, I opened the door for him and he walked in. He asked me if two men and two women were here. I answered yes. Ross said “I have a warrant for their arrest.” I told him that they went upstairs. He said I want to see them. I went upstairs and Ross followed. I asked them to open the door which order they obeyed at once.  Ross said to his wife; “Well Nellie I want to you to come home me.” Her answer to him was “She would not go home with him; neither would she live with him.” He said “you two have to go along with me, I have a warrant for both of you and you must go.” The two women then started downstairs followed by Ross. When I got to the foot of the stairs the two men were scuffling in the kitchen and I went on through the front room. While I was in there I heard the shooting. In a few moments Ross came into the room followed by Mrs. Ross. She said to him: “I will go home with and live with you but I am shot.” After saying these words the last that she uttered, she turned around and went back into the kitchen. Ross followed her as far as the open door, deliberately pulled his revolver, pointed at his wife shooting her in the back. She fell in her tracks without saying another word, and in falling her face struck against the corner of the door casing at the foot of the stairs.


Her sister came into the front room and said that she was shot. Scharbo went out the back door, I called him back and told him to go for the doctor. His answer was; “I am shot too.” The whole affair happened in a few minutes and I was so excited I did not see everything that was going on.         

The first shot struck Mrs. Ross in the right shoulder, making a skin wound and was undoubtedly the ball that lodged in the wall near the stairs. The other shot struck her in the back, under the right shoulder blade, taking an upward direction and coming out at the base of the forehead between the eyes. Scharbo was shot on the left side under the lower rib and the ball lodged against the right hip bone. Its course was between the muscles of the abdomen. Katie Duprey was shot in the right breast above the lung, the bullet dropping into the cavity of the lung.


Kittie DuPrey in conversation with a reporter said Ross intended to kill me for he threatened to kill me before. He sent me a letter while I was in Menominee to that effect. Ross pounded me when I was at Menominee and I had him arrested; he had a jury trail and got free. He came out Monday to kill me. He shot me first, the fellow next and his wife last. I had started to run upstairs when I was shot; I fell over my sister trying to get out of his way. He only shot at me one time. Ross and Scharbo were scuffling before the shooting started.


Ross begged us for a revolver to kill himself, while in jail. We do not believe he ever wanted to kill himself. No one at Beaulieu’s saw him turn the revolver on himself after the shooting. If Ross wanted to do away with himself so bad, he had plenty of time to relieve the county of a great expense, during the time when he was returning from the scene of his deeds and the meeting of Officer Reardon. Ross, kill himself! Don’t you believe it.


Chief of Police Reardon attempted to secure a statement from the dying girl Tuesday afternoon, but being very weak it was almost impossible to understand what she said. She claims that Ross shot her and her sister on the stairway, while they were fleeing from Ross, going back upstairs, and that it was his intention to kill them as he threatened to do so on several occasions, and also in a letter she received from Ross and which is in her trunk at Appleton.


Bertha Mills of Shawano the sixteen year old girl who has been living with the Ross family, tells a story on Ross that if true and we do not doubt it in the least, places Ross among that class of criminals that are executed by the limb route, there being an unwritten law as to their manner of being dealt with. Her evidence is sufficient to send him to jail even if he is not charged with the crime of murder.


Ross was taken before Judge Mitchell Monday evening for examination. District Attorney Bottenseek was present. The case was adjourned until tomorrow morning at nine o’clock. The charge against Ross is the killing of Mrs. Nellie Ross. Phillip Brown being a material witness was held in the sum of $200 with sufficient sureties for his appearance when wanted.


When Ross was going out to do the deed that made him a murderer, he met Chas. McCarty walking to town. After the shooting he returned to the city overtaking Mr. McCarty before he reached the railroad track, where it crosses Lawe Street. Ross remarked “I have killed three of them since I saw you last.” The time was very short, showing that his deadly work was done in a hurry.

The coroners jury consisted of Thos Malone, Richard Conlon, C.W. Larson, N. M. Kettenhofen, William Hayland and Peter Lappens. The jury viewed the dead body of Mrs. Ross, also the premises on Monday afternoon, the jury adjourned until nine o’clock Tuesday and from that time to 9 o’clock this afternoon.


Nellie Duprey claimed that she was shot first, her sister second and Scharbo last. She said that she was shot while going upstairs. It is supposed that both women started to run upstairs, to escape Ross and that he followed them to the foot of the stairs. One of the bullets entered the wall about half way up the stairs.


The revolver is in possession of Judge Mitchell. It is 38 caliber, five shot, self-acting and of the American Bull Dog pattern. It is an old gun and as ugly looking as it’s name implies. When asked by a Sun Representative where he got the gun, Ross Said he did not know that he had it for sometime.


When Ross came to town he went to the depot and told Chief of Police Reardon that he had killed three persons. The officer asked him for the revolver. He said he had it in his pocket and could take care of it. Dan got it.


Ross has been inventing new stories since he went to Appleton. He told a reporter up there that Katie Duprey had a dirk concealed under her apron. No one of the participants saw her with a knife or weapon of any kind.


The most of the letters received Katie Duprey were received in the name of Miss Katie LaClar, the name that she was generally known by among the class of people who were her associates.


Fred Scharbo was taken before Judge Mitchell Tuesday morning, to answer to the charge of Assault and Battery. He was bound over in the sum of $100 for his appearance at the trail set for today.

Shawano County Journal

Reprinted from The Oshkosh Northwestern

Three Persons Shot, Porter Ross, of Shawano, Spills Much Blood in Kaukauna, Jealousy Prompts the Husband to an Awful Crime in a Disreputable Resort - Both Women Involved are well known in this City - - Ross's Past History


The following account of frightful tragedy which occurred in Kaukauna with a well known Shawano character as the principle, appeared in Tuesday's evening's Northwestern of Oshkosh:

Kaukauna, Wis., March 9--- One of the worst shooting affairs that ever occurred here happened yesterday at the notorious Beaulieu resort about one and a half miles east of town, adjoining the race track on the river road to Wrightstown. Porter Ross, a stone mason, aged 55 years, lost his wife about 6 years ago, and soon married a young woman then 26 years of age, with whom he has been living about four years.

Lately they have been having much trouble, as Mrs. Ross insisted on leading a fast life, having been found several times by him in places of questionable resort, and on being remonstrated with at a resort in Appleton, refused to go with him, remaining a willing inmate and utterly refusing to again go back to her family, which consisted of two children of her own, aged 7 and 5 years, and 2 children of Mr. Ross by his first wife, aged 9 and 14 ears, three girls and a boy in all.

Ross came home from this call on his wife in no sociable frame of mind, and yesterday on seeing his wife driving by his house in company with a man, he rushed from his home in a rage and hired a rig with which to follow and catch them. He succeeded in traveling them to the Beaulieu place of ill fame, and upon ascertaining that they were in an upper room, immediately followed them up. He found his wife and her sister, Miss Kittie DuPrey, of West DePere, and also Fred Schabau, of Appleton, in a room by themselves. Ross at once demanded that his wife accompany him to Their home and received an angry refusal from his wife, who requested Schabau to put her husband out of the room and down the stairs. This Schabau, assisted by Mrs. Ross, succeeded in doing, nearly forcing Ross out through a window, cutting his face and hands badly. Upon getting so badly worsted Ross drew his revolver and commenced shooting. He first shot at Schabau, the bullet striking him in the abdomen. Ross claims to have fired all the shots at the man, but his wife received two, one in the back and one in the forehead, which killed her instantly. Miss DuPrey was also shot through the right lung, and the ball being a 38 caliber made a fearful wound, from which she is bleeding internally, with no hopes of her recovery. Her age is 17 years. Schabau's wound is not considered of a dangerous character, as it was a glancing shot, passing through his body between the muscles outside of the abdomen. It was extracted by Dr. Boyd at his office without much trouble. Schabau is about 25 years of age.


Immediately after the shooting Ross drove to town and voluntarily gave himself up to Marshal Dan Reardon, saying that he had just "done up" three of them, showing the empty revolver and acknowledging that it was fully loaded when he started. Ross was lodged behind the bars in this city lockup and District Attorney Bottensek came down on the 6:25 p.m. train and took the prisoner to Appleton on the 7:01 train. The driver of the double rig that came down from Appleton with the party, was placed under arrest, having been a witness to the shooting affair. His name is Phillip Brown, of Appleton. The dead body of the woman was removed to Fargo's undertaking rooms, where she was viewed by hundreds during the evening.


The wounded girl, who was in a very critical condition, yet remains at the Baeulieu place, and her parents at West DePere were at once notified of her terrible misfortune by telephone. Her parents are |Mr. and Mrs. Thomas DuPrey of the above place and are respectable French people. Fred Schabau, the wounded man, occupies a comfortable bed at police headquarters, where he is receiving the best of attention. Porter Ross talked freely with everyone who was allowed access to him. He told  his story over and over to several reporters and newspaper men who were early on the scene, each time denying that he had shot his wife. The same story subsequently was repeated of Chief Reardon and perhaps a hundred people while at the Northwestern depot. A coroner's jury was empanelled, consisting of Thomas Malsone, Richard Conlon, William Hayland, C W Larson, Peter Lappen, and N Kettenhofen, who were instructed to hold the post mortem examination tomorrow morning at 10:30. One favorable feature of this terrible affair is that the Beaulieu resort will be forever closed and without ceremony.


Later--- Katie DuPrey died from the effects of her injuries this forenoon. Porter Ross is well known in Shawano, where he has lived for many years. He has for many years been looked upon as a tough character and has a record of two imprisonments at the state penitentiary in Waupun for horse stealing. It is claimed that Ross is a near relative of Ford who shot the noted desperado, Jesse James. The two women implicated have also been familiar figures in Shawano. Justice Andrews is authority for the statement that there has been continual trouble in the Ross family for a long time and he has been appealed to on many occasions to right domestic wrongs. Porter Ross left Shawano a short time ago with sensational suspicions connected with his departure.


DePere Newspaper

March 1897

Is a Double Murderer

Porter Ross' second Victim Dies at Kaukauna


The death, Friday night, of Kate Duprey at Kaukauna, makes Porter Ross a double murderer, and he now rests under the charge of killing his wife, Nellie Ross, and her sister Kate Duprey, besides the attempt on the life of Fred Schabau, whom he found with the women in the Beaulieu resort at Kaukauna, the scene of the tragedy.


The body of Kate Duprey was brought to DePere by her parents and interred Monday by the side of her sister, Mrs. Ross.

At the post mortem examination held on the body of Kate Duprey, it was ascertained that the right lung through which the ball had entered her body was found almost entirely gone, only a few shreds of it remaining. The bullet was found embedded in her backbone.




March 13, 1897

Ross in a Tight Place


Kaukauna, March 13. - Thomas Malone, R. Carlon, N. Kettenhorfer, C. W. Larsen, William Hylant and Peter Lappen composed the jury at the coroner's inquest in the case of Mrs. Ross who was killed by her husband, Peter Ross, at a low resort a few days ago. District Attorney Bottensick of Appleton conducted the case for the state. The defendant was held for murder.


DePere Newspaper

March 20, 1897

Ross Held for Trial

Kaukauna Murderer Attempts Suicide by Swallowing Tin


The examination at Kaukauna of Porter Ross, who shot his wife, sister-in-law and their male companion, was closed by Justice Mitchell ordering that Ross be held for the crime of murder as charged and committed to the county jail, there to await the action of the Circuit court. On account of the importance of the case it is thought that it is not likely to come to trial at the April term. The evidence offered at the examination was not materially different from that at the coroner's jury. The witnesses were Mrs. Baeulieu, who swore to seeing Ross shot his wife in the back, and that she fell dead; Marshall Readdon, who arrested Ross on his assertion that he had done up three of them at the Beaulieu place and that he went there to kill them, meaning those he shot, and Schabau, who received the shot in the abdomen. All made strong witnesses for the state. The prisoner was sent back tot eh county jail by the 3:45 train, a great crowd following him to the depot.


Sunday, Ross tried to end his life by scraping the tin from some empty cans and swallowing it.


Shawano County Journal

July 1, 1897


The infant daughter of Tony Bostian died Friday of last week and was buried at the Catholic church Sunday. The participation of a large number of children made the ceremonies most impressive.


The infant son of Herman Falk who died last week was buried Friday.


Otto Mittlestadt, aged 14 years and 11 months, the son of Mrs. Ottelie Mittlestadt died Monday of inflammation of the bowels. Mr. Mittlestadt was a boy of great promise and a much popular pupil of the Lutheran school. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:00.


Birnamwood. Mrs. Charity Richardson died at her residence Sunday morning, the 27th. Mrs. Richardson has been in poor health and the remains taken to Oshkosh for burial.




Shawano County Journal

July 8,1897


Funeral services for the late Otto Mittlestadt were held from the family home Friday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Nichol officiating. Albert Netzel, Fred Staehnke, William Regling and Otto Regling acted as bearers. The internment was in the family lot in the Shawano Cemetery.


Died- In Belle Plaine, June 21st, of consumption, Ernest B. Webster, aged 16 years, 1 month and 4 days.


Birnamwood - On Monday, at a picnic at Mayflower Lake, Herman Brooks, while bathing with others, in some mysterious manner was drowned. Herman was a boy about 16 years of age, and well known and liked by all the boys in the village. His remains were shipped to Black Creek where his parents reside.


Angelica - Mrs. Don Day, of Green valley, died July 4th, after a lingering illness with Bright's disease. Captain Loree, of the Crusade Band preached the funeral sermon Monday morning, July 5th and the body was taken to Seymour for burial.



Shawano County Journal

July 15, 1897


The many friends of Abial Richmond, brother to Mrs. W. L. Fosdick of this city, will be greatly grieved to learn of his death a week ago Sunday after a lingering illness. Mr. Richmond was one of Shawano's pioneers, a man of much ability and universally respected.


Belle Plaine - An old resident of Belle Plaine Mrs. Jaeger passed away from our midst on Sunday morning, the 4th inst., leaving a husband and 5 children and a large number of relatives and friends to mourn their loss. Mrs. Jaeger was a woman of deep religious feeling, noted for her kindness of heart and cheerfulness with which she rendered help and comfort to anyone needing her kindly ministrations. Her funeral, which took place on Monday, was largely attended. Rev. Mr. Cooper officiated. Her aged mother (Mrs. Jesse Howard) lies quite ill, and may pass away at any time.


Regina - Death has again entered our little neighborhood, and this time it has made its presence felt by taking away the husband and father of a worthy family, Mr. Theodore Brener. He left his home to go to Wittenberg on July 3rd. After completing his business in Wittenberg he started for home, and when about a mile this side of Wittenberg, in coming down a long hill known as Tannery Hill, his team ran away. The wagon struck a stone and was overturned with a mowing machine that was in it. Mr. Brener was thrown out and fell beneath the wagon and mowing machine, sustaining fatal injuries. He was carried lack to Wittenberg on a stretcher and lingered in a semi-conscious condition until Wednesday evening, when death relieved him of his sufferings. He was about 34 years of age and was highly respected in the community. A wife and 3 small children survive him, who have the sympathy of many kind friends in their great affliction. The remains were brought home for burial and were placed in the Hutchins Cemetery.




Shawano County Journal

Aug 12 1897


Shadow of Death falls on the campers of Shawano Lake

Dewey George, the son of D H George killed

by the accidental discharge of a shot gun

The boy dies before aid arrives

Camp and City Sympathies.

Shawano Lake, West Shore, Aug 10. Darkness has fallen upon the merry party assembled on the shores of Shawano Lake and that dreaded visitor, Death, has claims one of the members of Canvas City for its own. It was but this morning that a cooling breeze gently stirred the waters and all seemed unusually happy and serene. The pencil that was sharpened to describe the excitement of a yacht race or to dwell upon the passing follies of life in camp is by sad force of circumstances compelled to dwell upon the most serious subjects that confronts life. It was well along in the afternoon that the Old Lady of Lake was sailing in a fair breeze when she was hailed by a rowboat in which were Mr. Humphrey, Mr. Wallrich, A C Weber and Prof. Reynolds. It was impossible to understand their message at first and when it was finally learned that Dewey George had accidently shot and killed himself, we all most earnestly hoped that there was some mistake.

Slowly the boat pulled for Gumaer's and the sad news was substantiated. Lying in the boat was the body of Dewey George. Willing hands and tender hearts were those that lifted the precious burden and started on towards Shawano for the final homecoming. Here is the sad story as told by John Winans, the companion of the unfortunate boy; "It was along in the morning that Dewey and I started for ducks over on Loon Lake. Arriving there we went to a Little lake some rods to the east known as Kemp's lake. Here we found an old scow half filled with water. We started to bail her out and after we had most of the water out Dewey told me to go ahead and bail out the stern and he would get the guns and push the bow of the boast into the water. Dewey picked up my guns and started into the boat. He must have caught his toe or something, anyway he fell striking the gun against the boat with sufficient force to badly bend the half-cocked triggers. I had my back to Dewey when I heard the report of the gun, I turned around and saw him falling into the water on his face. I picked him out of the water and put him on the shore. "Go for the doctor", were the only words he said to me. For a minute I stood there. I did not know what to do. I looked at Dewey who was unconscious and then ran for the Kemp's house a few rods away. Sending them to where I had left Dewey, I threw off my shoes and ran to camp. There I found Mr. George and told him of the accident. Then I returned to where I had left Dewey showing the place to many friends who hastened to the place in hopes of being of some service." There were plenty of most willing person's to offer aid but when the boy's body was reached he had passed beyond "the smiling and the weeping." There was on his face no look of pain and he seemed to have fallen into a deep sleep. It was a great comfort to know that death which must result from such a wound, was mercifully swift and there was not one when the sad news was learned but felt it a real privilege to share in the awful blow.

The news was first brought to Shawano by Mr George, who as soon as John Winans told him that Dewey was shot, harnessed up his horse and drove to Shawano, returning in an incredible short time with Drs Cantwell, Partlow and McComb. The physicians say that the boy must have died within a minute or two, he having received the full charge from a twelve-gage shell in the abdomen. Not only was the camp under the shadow of gloom which spread with the news of the accident, but all Main street seemed hushed and silent Tuesday evening. Everywhere men and women were speaking of Dewey, and each took a special pleasure in recounting some unforgotten kindness received at the boy's hand. Among his friends, too, there was manifested genuine and sincere regret. As for his special chums, they seemed to appreciate their lost most deeply, and each in his own way paid some special tribute to his memory. As for his parents, his brothers and sister, their grief is much too sacred a thing to be spoken of by an outsider.

Only those who have experienced a similar loss can appreciate such sorrow as must be theirs. There were hosts of friends of the boy and his parents who were most anxious to contribute their sympathies or be of some assistance, and there were many more who longed to do something but feared to do so, feeling that such a privilege belonged to only the dearest and nearest of friends. There have never in times past when sorrow has fallen upon our city, been more willing hands to help the affliction than have those of Mr George and his family. Of Dewey I need say but little, the memory of his life is still to fresh in the hearts of everyone. He was a manly fellow, 18 years old, fond of manly sports, and if he was bold and daring, he was as tender-hearted as he was fearless. Perhaps his most beautiful characteristic was his great love for his mother, but this too, is a sacred thing and an outside friend must only mention it. Perhaps I will be pardoned for being purely personal for a paragraph. The last time I saw Dewey George I was starting for the lake. He wanted to know how I was going up and when I told him I was going to walk he insisted on letting him drive me up. The next time I saw him, he was being Borne home, his lips hushed in death. This is only an incident but it is characteristic of all friendship with him. Alan S Rogers.

The funeral services were held from the home this afternoon and were conducted by Rev. J V Hughes, of Merrill. The bearers were the former associates of Dewey George; Charles Anderson, John Winans, Louis Grimmer, Alvin Andrews, Frank Porter and Jay Wright. W W Pennington and Mrs Pennington, sister of the deceased, of Bassett, Iowa, the immediate members of the family and a great number of friends were present at the funeral. There were many beautiful flowers and pieces sent in by loving friends. The internment was in the family lot in the Shawano cemetery. The north shore of Lake Shawano is now deserted.


Shawano County Journal

7 Oct 1897


A Brief Summons

Joseph Carroll found dead in bed at Mountain

Retired to rest Saturday night and found corpse Sunday morning

Heart trouble the cause

Remains brought to this city and then taken to Neenah for Internment


Joseph A Carroll, who has made Shawano his home for the past 12 or 15 years, was found dead in bed at Mountain, in Oconto County, on Sunday morning of this week. The news came by telegraph and because of the lack of particulars it was at first thought that Mr. Carroll had met his death by foul means. The telegram was addressed to Landlord Garfield, of the Murdock house, with whom Mr. Carroll boarded during his residence in Shawano. Mr. Garfield immediately started for Mountain with Dr. Partlow and Undertaker Bauerfield, and on the return of the party Monday afternoon the full particulars of Mr. Carroll's death were learned. It seems that Mr. Carroll arrived at Mountain Saturday night from a piece of homestead land 8 or 9 miles distant, upon which he filed a couple of years ago at the time of the building of the Gillett branch, and to which he occasionally made visits of several weeks or months duration. When in Mountain he usually stopped  at the home of A. Saffern, a blacksmith.  On the night in question he stopped as usual at the home of Mr. Saffern, and retired to rest at the usual hour, apparently in the best of health and spirits, sleeping with a boy, a son of the hosts. At 5:oo the boy arose, but at that time noticed nothing wrong with Mr. Carroll, who appeared to be sleeping. Two hours later he was called for breakfast, but failing to respond to calls his room was entered and the fact of his death discovered. On the arrival of the Shawano party Sunday afternoon an inquest was held, at which the jury rendered a verdict of death due to natural causes, in accordance with the hypothesis of heart failure advance by Dr. Partlow. The remains were then placed in charge of Undertaker Bauerfeind, and on Monday afternoon were brought to this city, where they were met by Mr. Charles Scott, a well-known citizen of Neenah who has been a close friend of the deceased for years. Mr. Scott had just completed arraignments for a week's outing with Mr. Carroll at Mountain, and the news of his friends sudden death was a great shock to him. During Monday afternoon and evening the remains lay in state at the Murdock house, where they were viewed by many friends who had not known the deceased in life. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at Neenah, those accompany the remains from this city, in addition to Mr. Scott, being Dr. and Mrs. Williams and Mr. and Mrs. Garfield. Mr Carroll was in his 52nd year. He was born at Keene, New Hampshire and after serving in the war of the rebellion, in which he made honorable record as a soldier, came west and located at New London, whence he came to Shawano about 15 years ago. He was a good citizen, and among those who knew him best was well liked, many instances being cited of his generosity toward others, practically those in distress. For some years Mr. Carroll has been engaged in no business venture. He was never married and his only surviving relative are 3 sisters, Mrs. George Kellogg, Mrs. Nellie Graves and Miss Annie Carroll, who reside at Oakland, Calif.