Search billions of records on

Shawano In The News


Shawano County Journal

12 Apr 1923

John Loan, an old Shawano resident, died yesterday afternoon in his room at the Green Bay House. He had had a cold for the last three days. He was up and around Tuesday and ate supper. During the night he was sick. I the morning he asked for a physician, and that noon he ate a good dinner and he told Mr. Hoppe that he would be up next day and would live twenty-five years yet. During the noon hour and even later many of his friends went up to see him and he told each one that he felt fine. But at two o’clock Spencer Starkweather went up and found that Mr. Loan was not in bed but that he had gotten up into his chair and had fallen down unconscious. He called for help, but nothing could be done and in ten minutes he was gone.

 Mr. Loan was born in Ireland eighty-five years ago. He was one of the early settlers in this city and up to a few years ago owned several parcels of property in this city. He built the Loan house on Franklin Street and it was there that the family grew up. He was a good soldier in the Civil War and in later years he received a good pension.

His children are, Mrs. Hattie Bruce of Shawano, Mrs. Saddie Hopper of Oshkosh, Miss Ruth Loan of Appleton, and Mrs. Bessie Day of Portland, Oregon. His son Charles died about seven years ago. (Charles obit in “Shawano in the News 1917”)

The funeral has not yet been announced, but it is probable that it will be held Saturday.


 Shawano Advocate

17 Apr 1923


Died Suddenly Wednesday

John Loan Passed Away After Short Illness.

Funeral Saturday The people of Shawano were saddened Wednesday afternoon to learn of the sudden death of John Loan which took place Wednesday afternoon, about one o’clock at the Green Bay House, where he has made his home for the past thirteen years. He had a cold and was complaining the day before but was at his usual place where he went most of the time, at Frank Pleslick’s tailor shop, and he said that he thought he would remain home on Wednesday and he would be all right in a day or so. Mr. Hoppe went up to Mr. Loans room about noon, asking if he wanted some dinner, and Mr. Loan told him that he did not, but would be up in a day, as he felt better. Mr. Starkweather went up to the room about fifteen minutes afterwards and Mr. Loan was sitting in a rocking chair with his head against case, but he was breathing his last. He was placed in bed and passed away in a few minutes afterwards.

Mr. Loan was born in Ireland and was eight-five years of age the first of March. He came to this country when a young man and enlisted in the Civil War from New York and served three years and after being mustered out re-enlisted, serving until the end of the war. It was said that he was in thirty-three battles and was severely wounded two or thee times, carrying one bullet in his body until his death.

He came to Shawano with his family in 1872 and this is home since then. Mr. Loan was very well liked having a great many friends in the city. He will be greatly missed at Mr. Preslick’s where he has been a companion for so many years and always had something pleasant to say to all who went into the shop.

Mrs. Loan died about nineteen years ago, and four daughters are left to mourn his departure, one son, Charles passing away about seven years ago. The daughters are Mrs. Frank Hopper of Oshkosh, Mrs. Hattie Bruce of this city, and Miss Ruth Loan who teaches in Appleton, but makes her home here during the summer, and Mrs. Bess Day of Portland, Oregon.

The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bruce, on Franklin Street. It was largely attended as by long residence in Shawano he had made a great many warm personal friends.


Shawano County Journal

19 Apr 1923

Had Enviable Record in War

 The funeral of John Loan was held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hattie Bruce, Saturday afternoon. Rev/ Benjamin officiated. Internment was made at Woodlawn. A firing squad fired a salute over his grave and gave the military honors.

Mr. Loan had a splendid war record. He was in thirty-three battles and skirmishes in the Civil War. In the peninsular campaign he was wounded and lay for twelve hours on the battle fields left for dead. A Union soldier came along and heard the groans and gave him assistance. He was taken to Washington where he did special guard duty.

On the night of April 26th, 1866, President Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth. He escaped from Ford’s Theater where the assignation took place, and fled into Virginia on horse back. The squad of soldiers that pursued him were hot on his trial, and in two days he was corralled in a barn and was shot in the attempt to capture him.

John Loan and two other soldiers were sent down to Virginia to bring the body back into Washington. The Virginia people were very hostile to the Federal government and his trip was a hazardous one, but it was accomplished quickly and without mishap, in spite of his unusual war record, Mr. Loan never bragged about it. He was a close-mouthed man.

In his later years he went every day to the Preslicka Tailor Shop and read the daily papers to Mr. Preslicka. He never missed a day. At the Green Bay House where he spent the last years of his life he was a favorite with all the boarders.