St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery Walk - June 2, 2004
St Paul Lutheran Cemetery - Parish Cemetery of St. Paul Lutheran Church
1919 Wyatt Ave., Stevens Point
The parish dates to October 2, 1872 when 12 German families decided to build a house of worship. Original site was on the corner of Elk and Shaurette Streets. The new church was dedicated 26 July 1874. In 1897, two lots were purchased for $600 on the corner of Center Avenue (now Wyatt) and Center Streets.
The church started as a German Lutheran Church, the first English worship was held in 1909. This once a month English worship was to bring the young people who could not read German but could speak it back to worship services.
On August 18 1934, the church was struck by lightning and totally destroyed. A new church was rebuilt on the same site.
St. Paul School was established in the fall of 1955 consisting of grades 1-3.
Today St. Paul Lutheran is a member of the Lutheran Missouri Synod.
The cemetery oldest marked grave is that of Hermann W. Fender, who died in July 1884.
Source: Portage County Historical Society
Oldest marked grave - Hermann W. Fender - 1884
Those who served in war and peace time:
Civil War - Paska (Dolke) Carl A.
WWI - Gile Fred W.
WWII - Bartell, Rev. Edward
Vietnam - Kolodziej Lawrence
US Navy - Wolf Eugene
118 Names listed in Guyant's , there are an additional 15 since last update.