Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XII, No. 4, Summer 1990
A family reunion of the Alban family was held on August 30th and 31st, 1882 north of Findlay, Ohio at the residence of George B. Alban. At this time the genealogy of the family was written and it is from this genealogy that most of the information comes. Thanks to Diane Siegfried for a copy of this genealogy. Information was also obtained from THE VIRGINIA ALBIN'S by Ethel Albin.
George Alban, the earliest known ancestor, was a member of Washington's Life Guard in the Revolutionary War. He was born 18 August 1760 in Winchester, VA, the son of William Albin and Mary Bruce. He was married to Jane Green. They had 10 children. In about 1798 the family moved to Ohio and settled in Island Creek Township in Jefferson County. George died 29 January 1840. George consistently spelled his name Alban, while other branches of the family spelled the name Albin.
William Alban, son of George and Jane, was born at Winchester, Virginia 22 March 1786. He was married 1st to Elizabeth Shane on 2 February 1809. They had 8 children. They moved to Stark Co. Ohio in 1814. He was married 2nd to Jane Whitcraft. He had 8 more children by his 2nd wife. He married 3rd Isabelle McCaughey and they had 3 children. He served as a Captain in the War of 1812. He died 1 July 1845 at Canal Fulton, Ohio of Typhoid Fever.
James Shane Alban was born 30 October 1809, the oldest son of William Alban and Elizabeth Shane. He was married 1st on 30 October 1833 to Amanda Harris, daughter of Stephen Harris. They came to Sauk Co. Wisconsin in 1837 where Amanda died 5 October 1843. They had 5 children: Lucinda married Luther Hanchett. They had 2 children, Anna who married Anderson Brown and James, who lived in South Dakota. Lucinda married 2nd, James O. Raymond and lived in Plover. She died in Rhinelander at the home of her daughter on 27 February 1928. Stephen Harris Alban was a lawyer and lived in Wausau. He married Helen Cowan 29 September 1869 and died in 1914. Elizabeth S. Alban was said to be the first white child born in Sauk Co. Wisconsin on 3 October 1858. She married Andrew O. Brown. They lived at Plover. After the death of her husband in 1878, Elizabeth moved to Iroquois, South Dakota. Sybil C. Alban was married to John Halladay on 11 October 1865. They moved to Beatrice, Nebraska. Amanda Alban was 8 months old when her mother died. She was adopted by her mother's sister, Lucinda Robinson. She never married and lived in Millersburg, Ohio.
James Alban married 2nd Clarissa Danforth in 1846. They had 5 children: George, who died in childhood, William, who settled in Kansas, James, who settled in Wausau, Kittie, who married R. H. Johnson, editor and publisher of the Central Wisconsin at Wausau and Cora, who married Winfield Wylie, a doctor in Wausau.
James Alban was a lawyer who practiced in Plover before the Civil War. He was a Colonel in the 18th Wisconsin in the war and was killed in the Battle of Shiloh in April of 1862. His body was brought back for burial in the Plover Cemetery.
William R. Alban was a brother of James Alban, another son of William Alban and Elizabeth Shane. He was born 8 June 1814 in Jefferson Co. Ohio. He was also a lawyer and a teacher. He served 3 terms as superintendent of schools and was elected county judge twice. He married Rachel Harris 5 September 1837, a sister of Amanda. They came to Plover in 1861. They had 6 children. Samuel Clark Alban was born 3 June 1838 in Stark Co. Ohio. He married Eliza Celina Steward 22 September 1872. He also served in the 18th Regiment during the Civil War. He died 15 June 1908 at the Veteran's Home at King. Stephen H. Alban was born 11 September 1840 and died 5 January 1842. He has a stone in the Plover Cemetery but it is unlikely that he is buried there since the family did not come here until 1861. William Harvey Alban was born 23 May 1843 and died in 1863 at the Battle of Vicksburg at age 20. Milton Lindley Alban was born 9 June 1845 or 9 January 1846. He married Chloe S. Blodgett 4 May 1872. He died 16 May 1879. He has stones in both the Plover Cemetery and Forest Cemetery. It seems more likely that he is buried in Forest Cemetery next to his wife. Laura V. Alban was born 23 December 1846. She was a teacher at Green Bay. She died 19 January 1880 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery. Ada Alban was born 17 December 1854. On 19 July 1871 she married John W. Strope. She died 21 February 1882. Rachel Alban, mother of the above children, died on 13 january 1888 and William R. Alban died on 11 August 1889. They are both buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IX, No. 3, Spring 1987
Edgar Allen was born March 13, 1838, in Tioga County PA, the son of David Allen and Elizabeth Wilmot. Besides farming, his father had worked on the Erie Canal and had been a captain on a canal boat. In 1850 they left Pennsylvania and came as far as Illinois working farms on shares. David came to Portage County in the fall of 1852 and purchased land in Section 35 of Amherst township. He cleared some land and built a log house. His family joined him a year later.
Edgar began working in the lumber camps at the age of fourteen. On December 13, 1860, he was married in Waupaca to Arvilla Aldrich. She was the daughter of Jonathan Aldrich and Sarah Galpin. Born in 1846 in Dana, New York, she came to Portage County in 1856 with her parents.
On October 15, 1861 Edgar enlisted in Company H, later becoming Company A of the Third Wisconsin Cavalry. His regiment was stationed in Kansas. He was discharged on September 8, 1865.
Edgar and Arvilla had seven children. Ernest was born August 1, 1866, in the town of Amherst. He married Sarah Carey. He died March 5, 1941, in Poy Sippi at the home of his son. He is buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Fred was born in 1867. He married Tensie Knowles. He died in 1945 and is buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Lillian was born June 16, 1870, in the town of Amherst. She was married to John Morgan on November 20, 1894. She died December 28, 1944, and is buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Blanche was married to Frederick Lombard and lived in Sago, Idaho. Claude was born June 15, 1876, in the town of Amherst. He was married on September 3, 1899, to Stella Waterman. He died September 7, 1951, and is buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Maud married Clifford Moss and lived in Broderick, California. Archie lived in Milwaukee.
Edgar died on April 16, 1904, and Arvilla died in 1933. They are both buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery.
Author and sources unknown.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IV, No. 1, October 1981
Jesse Anson was born June 2, 1820 in Delaware County New York. He was left an orphan at the age of 14 years, both parents dying within a month of each other. He was one of three brothers and eight sisters. He came to Bogus Prairie, Illinois (now known as Belvidere) in 1838. He came to Portage County in 1840, locating at Grand Rapids. He was a river pilot in the summer months and worked in the woods in winter.
He married Maria Sands on August 29, 1844 at Belvidere. She was born in Tomkins, Delaware County, New York on March 12, 1825. After her marriage she remained in Belvidere until the spring of 1845.
Jesse went to Belvidere from the pinery and bought some cattle to bring back for logging purposes. At the same time Maria started for Portage County with Hiram Stow and John Q. A. Rollins. She rode with Stow who had a horse team. They arrived at Portage, WI and stopped for the night with Richard Veder. This was the last of any white settlement. The next day they reached Jared Walworth’s. He was married to an Indian and lived in a log house. This was the first house north after leaving Portage and Fort Winnebago.
The following day they reached Greeno’s, who was half white and half Indian, traveling through a heavy snow storm. They had to stay two nights and one day here and change their loads from wagons to a sled. The next day they started for Point Bass (now Nekoosa) where Robert Wakley lived.
They had not gone very far before they broke down. The storm was still raging and they didn’t know whether to turn back or go ahead. They decided to keep on going after fixing their sled. They reached Wakley’s where Maria met Mrs. Wakley, the first white woman she had seen and could talk with since they had left Portage. They next started for Plover and stopped with John Batten, the only house there.
The following day they reached Conant's saw mill where Maria met Jesse and they lived there for the next four years. Their daughter, Mary was born there on June 2, 1845. A son, Leonard, was born July 3rd, 1848 at the old Ed Metcalf place where Horace Judd was living. Maria went there to stay with Mrs. Judd while their husbands were running lumber down the river.
In 1847 Jesse Anson made a claim on a piece of land 4 or 5 miles east of Plover near the Arnott Railroad Station in Stockton. This was before the U.S. Treaty with the Indians. Before he was able to finish building his house, the Indians burned it. He made another claim on what is now John Bushey’s farm where they lived for some time. In 1853 they moved again near Plover where they lived until 1884.
Jesse fought in the Civil War. He was in Company E of the 5th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers for 3 years.
In 1884 Jesse and Maria moved west and located at Blackfoot, Idaho where their son Perry was living. Jesse was employed as a tender at a toll bridge there.
In 1891 they moved back to Stevens Point and lived on Division Street until Jesse died March 11, 1894.
Besides Mary, Leonard and Perry, Jesse and Maria had another son, George Daniel, who lived in Arkansas and California. Perry lived at Blackfoot and Salt Lake City. Leonard lived in Merril, WI. Mary Rowell lived in Minneapolis and Belvidere.
Maria went to live with Mary after Jesse’s death. She died February 22, 1910 at Belvidere, Il. Both Jesse and Maria are buried in Forest Cemetery at Stevens Point.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VI, No. 2, Winter 1984
Addison W. Bell died intestate January 22, 1888 in Plover where he lived. He was born in 1827 and was 61 years old when he died. He probably was born in New York state. I was unable to find an obituary on him. I do not have the names of his parents at this time. He was executor of Edwin W. Bell's will. There is an Edwin W. Bell who died February 26, 1857, aged 33 years, who is buried in the Plover Cemetery. This would most likely be a brother. A Hiram Bell was contesting this will and I assume this would be another brother.
Addison fought in the Civil War. He was a Corporal and was a prisoner at Altoona, Pennsylvania. He served in Company E of the 18th Regiment Infantry.
Addison married Alma A. Grover sometime in the 1850's. She was born in Machias, Cattaraugus County, New York on September 9,1837. She was the daughter of Ebenezer Grover. Ebenezer Grover was the oldest brother of Peter, John and Isaac Grover, who were also early pioneers of Portage County. There is some confusion as to who Alma's mother was. According to her death certificate, her mother was Phoebe Paterson. But Ebenezer's wife was Sarah Simonds. Any brothers or sisters are not listed in her obituary since she probably outlived them. And she is not listed as a surviving child when Sarah Grover died in 1901. Alma died May 12, 1924. Possibly Ebenezer was married first to Phoebe Paterson and second to Sarah Simonds.
Addison and Alma had seven children that I know of, Alice - Mrs. Frank Taylor - lived in Stevens Point. Eva - Mrs. George Boushele - was living in Bowman, North Dakota at the time of Alma's death. Edwin W. Bell was living in Rugby, North Dakota; Charles Bell was living in Tunbridge, North Dakota; Samuel Bell was living in Rome, New York; and Alma - Mrs. Charles Walsh - was living in Arnold, Chippewa County, Wisconsin. There was also a Frances I. Bell, who died September 15, 1862 at the age of two years and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Addison W. Bell and Alma A. Bell are also buried in the Plover Cemetery.
SOURCES: Portage County Death Records, Obituaries in Stevens Point Gazette and Journal, Probate Files.
Contributed by unknown person.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VII, No. 3, Spring 1985
Samuel Youngman Bentley was born in Tioga County, Pennsylvania on October 22, 1832. He was the son of Jesse Bentley and Harriet Larrison. He came to Wisconsin as a young man and located at Plainfield, Wisconsin in Waushara County. He was married there in 1857 to Marie Prutzman. She was born January 10, 1836 in Pennsylvania, the daughter of David Prutzman and Hanna Fish. Samuel and Marie ran a general merchandise store in Plainfield and were engaged in farming near there for several years.
About 1869 they moved to the town of Sharon in Portage County where he ran a sawmill. He was at Shantytown for awhile but then built a new mill further south on the Plover River. There is a road called Bentley Road north from Hwy K which I assume was named after him.
Samuel and Marie had five children. Mrs. Jacob Aultman who lived in Leeds City, South Dakota, Mrs. John H. (Flora Jane) Campbell from the town of Sharon, Mrs. Nellie O'Connell and Mrs. Russell (Stella) Strong of Stevens Point and Adam Bentley who took over the running of his father's mill.
Samuel died October 31, 1908 and is buried at Plainfield. Marie died September 23, 1919 and is also buried in Plainfield.
According to his obituary, Samuel was "universally respected for his sterling honesty and strict business and social integrity". In a story in the Reach section of the STEVENS POINT JOURNAL February 20, 1985, Malcolm Rosholt quotes Frank Wroblewski, who worked for the Bentleys, Sam and his brother George, as saying "they were a couple of tough, tobacco-chewing frontiersmen who feared neither God nor the devil".
SOURCES: Portage County Death Records, PORTAGE COUNTY GAZETTE; STEVENS POINT JOURNAL
Researched by: Donna Hanson
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XIV, No. 1, Fall 1991
Manuel Berry was a well known farmer living in Buena Vista Township. He was born on January 28, 1821, at Bethlehem, Luzerne Co., Pennsylvania, the son of Andrew and Hannah (Eshenbach) Berry. They were born in Philadelphia. Manuel's paternal great grandfather, Andrew Berry came to America with the William Penn colony and witnessed the treaty made by Penn with the Indians.
At Philadelphia he erected a large tannery. The grandfather, also named Andrew, continued in the tanning business and contributed large sums of money for the support of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. He later participated in the War of 1812 and died soon after his return home to Luzerne County.
Manuel's father, Andrew, was a lumberman in Luzerne Co., PA. He was one of the earliest pioneers to come to Buena Vista. He died May 9, 1863 and Manuel's mother, Hannah, died January 6, 1873. Both are buried in the Liberty Corner's Cemetery.
Manuel attended school in Butler Co., Pennsylvania. At the age of 16 he began working for his father in the woods. He was six feet tall and had a lot of strength and agility. All of his brothers were bigger in size. He had brothers Benjamin, Robert, John, Andrew, and Frank. His sisters were Mary and Sarah.
Manuel and his brother John came west in April of 1843. They came by boat down the Ohio River and then up the Mississippi River as far as Galena, Illinois. From there they walked to Wausau where they engaged in lumbering and trading with the Indians for twelve years. Manuel was once severely cut above the eye with a knife by an Indian after the Indian tried to steal a large number of buckskins.
Manuel married Catherine Johnson at Waupaca in 1854. She was born in Stockholm, Sweden on November 21, 1835, the daughter of John and Breta Johnson. They came to the United States in the fall of 1851 and settled in Waupaca Co. Five years later they moved to Minnesota and were living near London when an Indian massacre occurred from which they barely escaped. Brothers of Catherine were John, George, Marcus, and Peter, and sisters were Angeline, who married Andrew Berry, brother of Manuel, and Annie.
After their marriage Manuel and Catherine resided at Trappe, near Wausau, for four years. Manuel then bought 160 acres in Buena Vista Township and built a log house there. They had children Annie, who married George Clark, a Buena Vista farmer, John, born August 11, 1858, Thomas, born January 20, 1861, who died four days later, and Edward, born September 14, 1864, who acquired the homestead farm.
Manuel Berry was a Lutheran and was "thoroughly conversant with the contents of the Bible," according to the GAZETTE in his obituary. In politics he was a Republican. For a number of years he was township supervisor. According to the STANDARD HISTORY OF PORTAGE COUNTY, "Manuel Berry was a man of great strength of character and intellect as well as physical powers. He was a great Bible student and able to quote scripture and could discuss intelligently many of the profoundest questions of human life and experience." He died April 6, 1898.
Catherine died December 4, 1907. Her obituary in the GAZETTE says "she was thoughtful, resourceful and self-sacrificing to an unusual degree and was especially devoted to her home and family." Both Catherine and Manuel are buried in the Liberty Corner's Cemetery.
Researched by Donna Hanson.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VII, No. 1, Fall 1984
Oliver Harrison Perry Bigelow was born at Troy, Bradford County, Pennsylvania on October 18, 1823. His father was Rodrick Bigelow born at Colchester, Connecticut and his mother was Sabrina Vetter born at Blosburg, Pennsylvania. He was a blacksmith by trade. He was married at Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin on October 14, 1845 to Phoebe Ann Richmond. They lived at Cold Springs in Jefferson County for 4 years then moved to Whitewater, Wisconsin until 1854 when they moved to Plover. At Plover they were engaged in the hotel business. Bigelow House was a well known and popular stopping place for many years.
Phoebe Ann was born in Richmond, Vermont on July 4, 1826. She came with her parents from Lawrence County, New York to Wisconsin in 1844.
Phoebe and Oliver had six children. Two died in infancy and are buried in southern Wisconsin. The other four were: Mrs. S. M. Halladay living in White Bear Lake, Minnesota and later in Portland, Oregon; Mrs. Charles Uptagrove, Plover and later Mrs. O. W. Bean from Minneapolis; George working for the Green Bay Railroad in Stevens Point; and Judd working for the Central Railroad in Stevens Point. Judd was killed in a wreck at Mannville on May 30, 1894.
Phoebe died at the family residence in Plover on February 13, 1894. She had been married to Oliver Bigelow for 49 years. She was survived by three sisters and one brother; Mrs. John Stumpf from Stevens Point and Mrs. Pease, Mrs. I. U. Farr and Oliver Richmond, all of Quincy, Illinois. One sister, Mrs. Wing, died in California and a brother died in Kansas. Her father, mother and one sister, Mrs. Woodbury, died at Plover and are buried there. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Oliver died at the home of his son, George, at 602 Briggs Street on August 6, 1907 due to Brights disease. He was 83 years old. He was survived by his daughter, Mrs. Halladay and his son George. Also one brother, George W. Bigelow from Sawyers Bar, California and two sisters, Mrs. Amanda Ward from San Francisco, California and Mrs. Wm. F. Huntley from LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
Oliver and Phoebe are buried in the Plover Cemetery.
SOURCES: Death Certificates, STEVENS POINT GAZETTE obituaries. Researched by Donna Hanson.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. I, No. 2, January 1979
This lady was a true pioneer of Stevens Point. She was the first school teacher in the city. The story is told that a Mr. Bangle was going to Belvidere, Illinois to obtain supplies and the people in Stevens Point asked him to try and find a teacher. He was able to get her to agree to come and she also offered to drive back a wagon load of supplies. This was probably in the spring of 1847 and the school that Miss Hale taught was located north of the Square on Second Street.
She also did sewing for the lumbermen.
Mandana Hale was born 18 September 1826 in Smithfield, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Mason and Alvira Hale. They moved to Illinois when she was a child. She met Nathaniel F. Bliss in Stevens Point and they were married in 1848. Mr. Bliss was a carpenter who built the Bruce Hotel and other buildings in the city. He was also the first Justice of the Peace and on the county board. He was born in June of 1808 in Pownal, Bennington County, Vermont and died in October of 1876. Mandana died 26 December 1907. They are buried in Union Cemetery. They lived at 213 Bliss Avenue.
They had nine children. It is said that their first child, Geraldine B. was the first white girl born in the city of Stevens Point on 26 July 1849. She married John P. Clark in 1877. They ran a grocery store in Stevens Point. The other children were Adelbert born 25 September 1850. He died 24 July 1905. Samuel Mason was born 7 April 1852 and lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Josephine was born 19 December 1854 and died in 1872. Harvey was born 31 December 1855. Charles was born 21 April 1859 and died in 1860. Ann was born 6 February 1862. She married James F. Smith. Franklin was born 22 August 1864. Susan was born 22 March 1867. She married William F. Cartmill and died 23 December 1943.
Mrs. Hale enjoyed traveling and made thirteen trips to Montana at various times to visit Frank and Harvey who made their homes there.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VI, No. 3, Spring 1984
Nathaniel Boyington was born at Southwick, near Westfield, Massachusetts, on November 4, 1821. As a boy he was apprenticed to a farmer. He came west in 1845 and located at Ives Grove in Racine County, Wisconsin. He was married there on February 3, 1847 to Annis Conant. Annis was the daughter of Polly and Gordon Conant. She was born October 11, 1826 in Eden, New York, and came to Racine County when 16 years old. After their marriage the Boyington's ran a hotel for a few months before moving to Berlin, Wisconsin early in 1848. They engaged in the hotel and grocery business for three years before moving to Wautoma. There they built a hotel and ran it for 14 years. Nathaniel was also the owner of a flouring mill at Wautoma and he served for two terms as sheriff of Waushara County. In 1865 they came to Portage County and settled in Sharon Township where Mr. Boyington built a saw mill in Section 24. At first it was known as Hall & Boyington and later as Boyington's Mill. He also made shingles and cultivated hopps. According to (Malcolm) Rosholt in OUR COUNTY OUR STORY, a post office called Boyington was established in Sharon Township on July 28, 1881. It was located in the big square frame house which had green shuttered windows where the Boyington family resided. The post office was discontinued in 1895. According to the obituaries, the Boyington's moved to Stevens Point in February of 1881, so evidently someone else must have run the post office or this is incorrect and they did not move to Stevens Point until a later date. After coming to Stevens Point they built an elegant house at the east end of Main Street (1037 Main) in 1884 and moved into it in June of 1885. Mr. Boyington then engaged in the lumber business with his sons and son-in-law. He had lumber interests in Coolidge, Wisconsin, and Sherrill, Arkansas. Although asked many times, he refused to run for local or county offices. He was described as a large and powerful man. The N. Boyington and V. P. Atwell addition of 1884 added the streets of Boyington Avenue and Lincoln Street to the city of Stevens Point.
The Boyington's had ten children, three of whom must have died in infancy. Those surviving Nathaniel at his death on May 4, 1890 were: Chauncey K., of Ortonville, Minnesota, William E., of Freeport, Illinois, Abbott D., of Portage County, Justin N., of Sherrill, Arkansas, Mrs. V. P. (Annis M.) Atwell, of Coolidge, Wisconsin, and Miss Ella C. and Georgia A. of Stevens Point.
Georgia Boyington was born January 12, 1869 in the Town of Sharon. She graduated from High School in 1887 and then attended Miss Treat's training school for kindergarten teachers at Grand Rapids, Michigan. Afterwards she was the supervisor of kindergartens in the public schools of Stevens Point. She died of cancer on September 12, 1906.
Annis Boyington died at the family home on December 14, 1906. Justin was then living in Rockford, Illinois and Chauncey was living in Hurley, Wisconsin, and Annis Atwell had moved back to Stevens Point. Nathaniel and Annis and Georgia Boyington are buried in Forest Cemetery in Stevens Point.
SOURCES: Obituaries from Portage County Gazette, Portage County
Death Records, Probate File of N. Boyington, OUR COUNTY OUR STORY by Malcolm Rosholt. Researched by Donna Hanson.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XVIII, No. 2, Winter 1996
Daniel P. Brown was a lumberman born in New York state. He was married to Ann Lucy Stevens also born in New York state. They lived in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa before coming to Stevens Point in 1847. Daniel was on a business trip to New Orleans on a Mississippi steamboat when he died of cholera there. Ann lived until 1877. They are buried in the Cate Cemetery in the town of Stockton at the corner of HH and Burbank Rd.
Daniel and Ann had five children. DeWitt C. Brown was born in 1831 in Michigan according to the 1850 Census. Not much is known of him. He was a Captain in the Civil War and fought with the 3rd Regiment Cavalry. He died in December of 1881.
Walter Scott Brown was born in 1833 at Springfield, Illinois. He was married to Maria Clarissa Fay in 1860. She was the daughter of Harrison and Isabella Fay. In 1862 Walter went west with a team of oxen locating on land in Oregon. He then came back for his family and they went back in 1863. He died June 3, 1910 at Milton, Oregon. He was survived by a daughter, Mrs. Anna Hull of Portland and five sons; D. F. Brown, C. E. Brown, H. F. Brown, Winfield S. Brown and D. C. Brown all of Milton.
Levara S. Brown was born February 12, 1836 at Charleston, Coles County, Illinois. She married Judge George W. Cate on October 24, 1850, in Stevens Point. They had eight children. Anna and Ida died early. Albert married Lucy Wadleigh and they lived in Phoenix. Lynn Boyd lived in Toledo, OH, and Minneapolis, MN. Henry lived in Coldwater, MI, and Phoenix. Carolina married W. J. Cronyn and lived in Milwaukee. Georgiana married Gerhard Dahl and lived in New York City. Ruth was not married at the time of her mother's death. Judge Cate died March 7, 1905. Levara died August 28, 1916. They are both buried in Forest Cemetery. [See also Pedigree Profile on George W. Cate.]
Frances W. Brown was born June 12, 1838, near Dubuque, Iowa. She was married to Henry Cate in 1855. Henry was a brother of George W. Cate. Henry was associated with Joseph Dessert in the lumber business at Mosinee. In 1860 he bought a farm in the town of Stockton where they lived the rest of their lives. Frances and Henry had four children, one dying in infancy.
DeWitt Clinton lived in Stockton. George Cate lived in Phoenix and Walter S. Cate lived in Ashland. Henry Cate died August 29, 1893. Frances, according to her obituary, possessed "a strong mentality" and "was regarded as one of the county's brightest women." She died August 5, 1919. Henry and Frances are buried in the Cate Cemetery.
Iowa Brown was born at Butte Des Morts, Iowa, across the river from Galena, Illinois, on July 15, 1840. He also enlisted in the Civil War and was in the 3rd Regiment Cavalry, but was discharged on December 19, 1862, for disability. He was married to Mary Bigelow on August 19, 1866. She was the daughter of O. H. P. Bigelow. He lived at Stillwater, MN, and Arbor Vitae, WI. He died January 17, 1901, and is buried in Forest Cemetery.
SOURCES: Obituaries, 1850 Census, BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF UPPER WISCONSIN
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. 2, No. 2, January 1980
Gavin Campbell was born in Glasgow, Scotland on April 16, 1836. His father was Charles Campbell and his mother Margaret Marshall. He had a brother, Archibald, and two sisters, Mrs. James Wallace and Mrs. John Scott and an adopted brother, Andrew.
When he was quite young he became an apprentice to John Napier & son in Glasgow to become a marine engineer. For six years he worked on a number of ships on the Clyde River. He came to the United States in June of 1859 to Chicago.
It was here where he first began working for the railroad, becoming a machinist at the Northwestern shops and then at the chicago & Rock Island shops.
From Chicago he moved to LaPorte, Indiana as a machinist with the Michigan Southern Road. He then became a foreman. In 1870 he moved to Buffalo and in 1871 came to Menasha, Wisconsin with the Phillips & Colby Construction Company who were building the Wisconsin Central Railroad. He was a master mechanic from then until 1878.
He moved to Stevens Point with his famiily in 1873. In 1874 he built the shops in Stevens Point. From then on he held various positions with different railroads, working his way up. In 1889 he became general superintendent of the Wisconsin Central lines and held this position until shortly before his death.
He married Barbara Kipp on April 28, 1864 in LaPorte, Indiana. They had three children, Maggie, who married Fred J. Hawn (son of John Hawn written about in another Pioneer Profile), John, a teacher in Stevens Point and Gavin, a teacher who taught at Mankato, Minnesota. Gavin, Jr. died from tuberculosis on March 15, 1899.
In 1889 the Campbell's went to Milwaukee and lived there for one and one-half years. From there they went to Oak Park, Illinois for two and one-half years. The summer of 1893 they spent at Montello, Wisconsin and came back to Stevens Point in September of 1893.
Mr. Campbell had been in poor health for several years and died on January 31, 1894. He was buried in Forest Cemetery.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. III, No. 2, January 1981
George Washington Cate was born September 17, 1823 at Montpelier, Vermont. His parents were Isaac Cate and Clarissa McKnight. His brothers were Putnam, Alvin and Henry. He was raised on a farm near Montpelier. At the age of 17 he began the study of law in the office of Joseph A. Wing. He stayed there two years then studied under Lucius B. Peck of Montpelier for another two years. He taught school to pay for his expenses. He was admitted to the bar at 21 years of age.
He came to Wisconsin in 1845 and settled in Plover. He followed lumbering for awhile before practicing law. He moved to Stevens Point in 1848. While he was judge of the circuit court he lived for quite some time on a farm near Amherst. About 1877 he moved to 321 Ellis Street in Stevens Point where he lived for the rest of his life.
He was elected district attorney in 1850. In 1851 and 1852 he served in the state assembly. In 1854 he was elected judge of the circuit court - a position he held continuously until March of 1875 when he resigned to become a member of congress. He served for one term. He was associated with the law firm of CATE, DAHL & NELSON. At various times he was also associated with H. W. LEE, D. LLOYD JONES, A. W. SANBORN, B. B. PARK and F. B. LAMOREUX. He was an excellent trial lawyer and won several famous criminal cases in the county. His earlier experiences at lumbering and farming were a great help to him while in the courtroom.
On October 24, 1850 George Cate married Levara S. Brown in Stevens Point. She was born at Charleston, Illinois on February 12, 1836. She was only 14 years of age when she married.
Her parents were Daniel P. Brown and Ann Stevens. They came to Stevens Point in 1847. Originally from New York state, they lived in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa before coming to Wisconsin. Daniel Brown was a lumberman. He died from cholera in New Orleans in 1849 on a trip down the river. Ann Brown died in 1877. They are buried in the CATE CEMETERY along with her sister Frances and her husband, Henry Cate, who was a brother to George Cate. The cemetery is located at the corner of County HH and Burbank Road in the town of Stockton east of Stevens Point.
George and Levara Cate had eight children: sons Albert, Lynn and Henry; and daughters, Carrie (Mrs. W. J. Cronyn) Georgie (Mrs . Gerhard M. Dahl), and Ruth, Anna and Ida who died before their parents.
George Cate died from the effects of asthma at the age of 82 on March 7, 1905 at his home. Levara Cate died eleven years later at the age of 80 on August 28 , 1916. They are buried in Forest Cemetery.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VIII, No. 2, Spring 1986
Sylvester G. H. Crocker was born in Painted Post, New York on December 11, 1833. He was the son of Amie or Amon Crocker and Louisa Keller. He was one of the earliest settlers in the town of Eau Pleine, settling there in 1848. The G. H. in his name stood for "Game Hunter". Whether this was a nickname I'm not sure but in official records he gave his name as Sylvester Game Hunter Crocker. He was also known as -- Crocker. By occupation he was a blacksmith and farmer and also served as town chairman and Justice of the Peace. He served as postmaster of Crocker's Landing from 1882 until shortly before his death.
In June of 1861 he was married at Wylie's to Chestina St. Claire. She was the daughter of John and Cecil St. Claire. She was born on April 8, 1845 in Montpelier, Vermont. She came to Wisconsin as a young girl with the family of Daniel Waterman and lived with them.
On August 24, 1861, Sylvester enlisted at Ripon, WI in Co. B, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry and served until February 20, 1865. He was a prisoner at both Andersonville and Libby. He received a saber wound in the thigh in a battle at Newman, Georgia. While in prison he made a briar pipe and on the bowl of the pipe carved the important dates of his war record.
In the April 17, 1885 issue of the WISCONSIN PINERY there is mention of Sylvester: "S. G. H. Crocker, Esq. will build a Roller Rink, 80 x 300, which will give the young and old a chance to roll and fall to their heart's content."
In the July 16, 1886 WISCONSIN PINERY there is also another news item about him: "About two weeks ago, a fleet of lumber was run from Wallace & Redford's Mill to Stevens Point. The men who were employed on the lumber came back home the same night. It seems when they reached Crocker's Landing, or better known as Crocker's place, the boys commenced to yell and shout, and of course made considerable noise, as men generally do who are on their beer a little. Crocker at once came out of the house, and demanded peace, or rather to stop the noise, as he had a sick child in the house, but the boys did not seem to care much as to what Crocker had to say, and continued their vulgar talk and noise. Crocker tried to stop it the best he could, but without success, when one word brought on another, Mr. Welch struck at Crocker and missed him, when the latter give him one in the neck with a ball hammer, that caused his death. Mr. Welch has hosts of friends in this town and Stevens Point, and also leaves a wife and three small children to mourn his loss. It seems Esq. Crocker has not been arrested yet, or anything done about the matter, as far as we can learn. S. G. H. Crocker has always been a good neighbor and citizen, and we cannot see why he should take a human life. We are not confident, nor prepared to say just how the trouble commenced, farther than what we have already stated." I could find no other mention of this in the newspapers and don't know if any charges were ever brought against Mr. Crocker. Sylvester and Chestina had eight children.
1. Effie Hannah married Delmar Martin September 1, 1886. They had two children, Harold who was accidentally drowned in Madison in January 1922 and Hazel who married Edward Staehling. Effie died April 26, 1930 at Harvey, Illinois and was buried in Madison.
2. Clara A. married Don Carlos Hall on January 18, 1888. She was in show business with her husband for more than 50 years. They traveled show circuits in two Pullman cars which they owned. They had three children, Don C. and Olivette of Mississippi City, Miss., and Walter of Milwaukee. Clara died in Mokena, Illinois on August 8, 1951 and is buried in Union Cemetery in Stevens Point.
3. Daniel A. was married on June 1, 1901 to Etta Lola Frost. I have no further information on him and did not find any death certificate for him or burial record in this county.
4. Ernest was born on June 27, 1874. He married Nellie Edith Hale on June 5, 1901. They lived in Stevens Point at 917 Ellis St. for many years. He was a carpenter and building contractor. They had five daughters; Verna (Mrs. Walter Accola), Edith (Mrs. Todd Gilmore), Rachel (Mrs. Armin Schultz), Edna (Mrs. John Richards) and Violet (Mrs. Ben Graham). A son, Donald, died in 1929. Ernest died on August 7, 1957 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
5. Clyde I. married Wilson Mallory on June 2, 1897. Wilson was a minister. They moved to Granton, Wisconsin and I have no further information on them.
6. Paul Morgan was married on January 9, 1905 to Ruth Passineau. In 1930 he was living in Spokane, Washington.
7. Gerald I have no information on except that he was also living in Spokane, Washington in 1930.
8. Mabel also left Stevens Point and was in Oregon and then in Washington in 1930. I do not know if she ever married.
Chestina died on December 26, 1902. She is buried in Forest Cemetery. On May 8, 1904 Sylvester married Elizabeth Ellen Ferguson nee Alexander in Stevens Point. No mention is made of her in his obituary and I did not find any death certificate for her or a burial record. Sylvester died on February 5, 1905 and is buried in Forest Cemetery.
Researched by: Donna Hanson
Sources: Obits in the GAZETTE and STEVENS POINT DAILY JOURNAL; Newspaper articles in the WISCONSIN PINERY; Portage County Death and Marriage Records.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XII, No. 1, Fall 1989
The patriarch of the Eckels family was William Eckels who was born in Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania on October 29, 1873. He went to Stark Co., Ohio when he was a young man. In 1821 he went to Holmes Co., Ohio where he resided until 1832. His next move was to Hancock Co., Ohio where he lived for 19 years. He came to Wisconsin in 1852 and lived for two years in Plover, then moved to Buena Vista. He was married to Isabella Welch. They had ten children: Susanna born May 18, 1809, Charles born November 21, 1810, Dorcas born February 4, 1813, John born April 16, 1815, Christian born April 13, 1817, Joseph born July 19, 1819, James born May 27, 1822, William Jr. born December 12, 1824, and twins Irvin and Elizabeth born March 29, 1827. Mrs. Eckels died April 19, 1867 on the homestead in Buena Vista. William died October 29, 1873. They are both buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Of the ten children of William and Isabella Eckels, nine of them supposedly came to Portage County. Charles stayed in Ohio. I have not been able to find out about all of the rest. The most visible one in county records is John Eckels. He was a river pilot for over 30 years and a charter member of the Old Settlers Club. He was the first person who successfully ran a raft over the dam at Grand Rapids in 1840, so was here before the rest of the family came. He assisted in opening the first road into the Wisconsin pinery from Berlin to Plover, and also from Portage to Plover. He held various offices: that of chairman, treasurer and assessor of Plover, and sheriff, under sheriff, and deputy sheriff of Portage County. He was married twice, first to Minerva and second to Phyletta Drake, who had been married first to John Noyes. John Eckels had an adopted son, William Eckels, and a daughter, Mrs. Wendell Strope. He died February 17, 1901 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
James Eckels, another son, lived at Plover. He was a millwright by occupation. He was married to Mary who died November 24, 1893. They had two daughters, Marcia who married John Morrison and lived in Plover, and Mrs. William Morrison who lived in Neillsville. James died December 17, 1896 from blood poisoning and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Not much is known about William Eckels, Jr. He lived in the Buena Vista area and was married to Harriet Bennett. He died in 1877. They had two children, Charles and Minerva. Charles was born October 30, 1862 in Buena Vista township, and Minerva was born May 5, 1873. She married W. R. Johnson of Wausau. Charles married Sarah O. Warner on September 3, 1891. She was the daughter of Amasa O. Warner and Nancy V. Gilmore.
Irvin Eckels was killed in the Civil War in February of 1865 at River's Bridge, South Carolina. He was in Co. E of the 32nd Regiment. His first wife was Laura Selina who died on April 25, 1851 at the age of 18 years and is buried in the Plover Cemetery. His second wife was Viria. They had a son, Charley, who died November 7, 1863 at the age of 5 years and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Elizabeth Eckels, twin of Irvin, lived in Buena Vista township. She was married to William Albertie on September 21, 1853. They were the parents of five children: Mrs. S. L. (Mary) Bean, Mrs. Ella Armstrong, Irvin E. John, and George W. Elizabeth died November 14, 1914 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.
Researched by Donna Hanson.
Michael Falkiewicz was born in 1848 in Prussia. He was the son of Mathiae and Catherine Gisicka. Their name was originally spelled Walkiewicz and then Falkiewicz. (Sometime later, after they arrived in Portage County, the name was occasionally spelled Falkavage as well and so, there are descendants going by Falkiewicz and Falkavage.) Before leaving Prussia, Michael was married to Agatha Helminski. Their first child, Joseph, was born in Prussia on 25 Mar 1872. In early 1873, Michael, Agatha, and son Joseph departed from Bremen, Germany, aboard the ship “America”. They arrived at the port of New York on 28 Mar 1873. From New York they made their way to Chicago where their second child, Frank, was born on 31 Aug 1873, and baptized on the same day at St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, Chicago. By 1877, the family had made its way to Portage County where on 18 Feb 1877 their third child, Jacob, was born in Stevens Point. Three more children, all boys, were born to Michael and Agatha: Julius, born 9 Jan 1879; Leo, born 20 Oct 1881; and Peter, born 15 Feb 1884. Agatha died 2 Jan 1894 and is buried in St. Peter's Cemetery. On 5 Feb 1894, Michael was married for the second time to Anna Wojtalewicz Blarek at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Polonia. Anna was born on 26 Jul 1842 in Prussia and was a widow. She and her first husband had nine children. Michael and Anna had no children of their own. Anna died on 16 May 1924 in Sharon township, Portage County. Michael died one week later, on May 23rd. They are both buried in Sacred Heart Cemetery, Polonia.
Of the Falkiewicz boys, we have the least information on Peter. At the time of his father’s death in 1924 he was living in Duluth, MN. He died on 2 Jan 1957 in St. Louis County, MN.
Jacob died on 28 Mar 1915 at the age of 38. He never married. He had been living with his brother Joseph at 533 Smith Street in Stevens Point. On the night before his death, he had visited the business section and was returning home after midnight. It was speculated that he was "seized with a sick spell" and wandered around in a confused manner. He was found about 9:30 a.m. in an out-building at 721 Portage Street. Death was due to exposure.
Joseph married Josephine Lewandewska on 28 Sep 1897 at St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Stevens Point. They had at least three children, Regina, who married Willard Wackler; Bernard, who married Mary Raflik on 1 Sep 1925 in Stevens Point, and Julius, who was born 7 Jun 1898 in Stevens Point and married Florence Link. Julius went on to start People’s Meat Market (where Joseph was employed until his death) and which is in existence again today, owned and operated by Julius’s grandson.
Leo, born 20 Oct 1881, married Anna Kachalski on 22 Oct 1907 at St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Stevens Point. They had five children: Gregory, Tillie, Gertrude, Martin, and Agnes. Anna died on 27 Nov 1935. Leo, who was a grocery shipping clerk for the Copps Company, died on 11 Jun 1937.
Julius was born on 9 Jan 1879 in Stevens Point and married Laura Maslowski on 22 Oct 1901 at St. Peter’s Catholic Church. Laura was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Maslowski. A picture of her with her family can be found in “A Photo Album of the Past” by Malcolm Rosholt, Vol 1., page 191. Julius and Laura had nine children: Edward, Leo Carl, Martha, John, Irene Agnes, Raymond, Marie, and two who died in infancy. Julius was a meat cutter by trade and was employed by Peickert’s Meat Market in Stevens Point. He died 24 Jul 1933. Laura died in April 1944.
Frank was born on 31 Aug 1873 in Chicago. He married Lucy Doberstein, daughter of Jacob Dobersztajn/Dobersztyn and Mary Jazdzewska on 12 Nov 1901 in St. Peter’s Catholic Church. Frank and Lucy had ten children: Julian Joseph, Frank, Florian Paul, Alice, Raymond, Ervin, Lucille, Esther, Theresa, Richard, and Lorraine Marie. Frank was a member of the Stevens Point police force for 29 years and Assistant Chief of Police prior to his retirement. In 1935 he was made acting Chief of Police after the current police chief, Leo Frymark, was dismissed from duty after he was found guilty on charge brought against him by the City Manager Peter Walraven. Frank died on 13 Dec 1955 in Stevens Point. Lucy died 2 May 1964 in Stevens Point.
RESEARCHED BY: LuAnn Elsinger
SOURCES: Stevens Point Daily Journal; Portage County Register of Deeds; Passenger Manifest - Ancestry.com; Sacred Heart Church Records (Kitowski Collection); Minnesota Historical Society Death Certificate Index; Census Records - Ancestry.com
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 1, October 1982
Obituary from the STEVENS POINT JOURNAL, July 6, 1936:
The last surviving Portage county civil war veteran, Peter Felio, age 88, 1015 Mary Street, died this morning at 7:30 o'clock at St. Michael's hospital, where he had been a patient since Thursday morning. Although he had been in ill health since January, he was able to be up and about until last Wednesday night when he became ill and confined to bed.
Born at Bytown, Canada in April 1848, Mr. Felio came to the states when he was a child with his parents, John and Lydia Felio. They lived in the state of New York for a short time and then came west to Wisconsin. The family located at Appleton, where at the age of 16 on October 6, 1864, he enlisted in the Civil War in Company C, Twelfth Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He became attached to the First Brigade, Third Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, and was honorably discharged on July 16, 1865, at Louisville, Kentucky.
During his war experience Mr. Felio participated in numerous battles and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He suffered wounds on the leg and was shot through one hand.
After the war Mr. Felio returned north to his former home at Appleton. He worked in logging camps and helped his father, who was a stone mason, to lay stone for Lawrence college at Appleton. He resided for a short time at Black Creek and Shiocton, then located on a farm near Pittsville. During the summers he worked his farm and in the winter he logged and in the spring worked on the log drive. He subsequently acquired an 80 acre farm in the town of Plover near the Grant town line, where he lived for 30 years or until 1916. He later lived at Duluth, at Davenport, Iowa, at Bonduel, at Suring and at the Wisconsin Veteran's home near Waupaca for a short time and four years ago came to the home of his son, Louis, at the Mary street address.
A community tribute was paid to Mr. Felio at Memorial day services in Stevens Point this year.
His marriage to Olive Elizabeth Robinson, took place on August 9, 1874, at Black Creek, Outagamie county. Mrs. Felio died on April 6, 1929.
Mr. Felio was the youngest of a family of four sons and three daughters. He and his three brothers were Civil war veterans.
Surviving besides his son on Mary street are another son, Leo, residing at Laona; a daughter, Mrs. M. J. Jensen at Monrovia, California, nine grandchildren and one great grandchild.
The body is at the Boston funeral home where it will remain until the time of the funeral. Funeral services will be held at the funeral home Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. William R. Peterson will officiate and burial will take place in the Meehan cemetery.
From the STEVENS POINT JOURNAL, July 6, 1936. Contributed by Cindy Kluck.
John Finch was born at Niles, Berrien County, Michigan
on May 18, 1834, the son of Benoni W. Finch and Elizabeth
Hollimond. His father was born in Dutchess County, New
York and his mother in Woodville, Mississippi. Benoni Finch was
a captain of a boat that plied the St. Joseph River in Michigan. In
1835 he moved his family which consisted of his wife and eight children
to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He engaged in the manufacture of brick and
built the first brick house ever erected in Milwaukee. He was also
the first sheriff of Milwaukee County. The family moved to Ft. Atkinson
in Jefferson County in 1841 where they farmed until 1846. In April
of that year they came to Stevens Point with John Finch driving
the ox team from Ft. Atkinson. Benoni Finch died
on August 15, 1851 from cholera and is buried near Ft. Atkinson where he
was visiting at the time. Elizabeth Finch died
at her daughter's home in Fifield on May 4, 1883. She is buried in
John Finch was married in 1855 to Melinda Barrett. They had nine children. Melinda died September 22, 1892. The children are: Francis H. who married Edmund R. Week, Marion L. who married G. A. Felker, Lizzie A.married to Eugene Martin, Carrie E. married to Charles E. Smith and later W. H. Lucas, Henry J. married to Josie Maine, Addie L. who married Frederick Perkins and Robert B., Merle E., and John H.
When 17 years old John Finch went into the lumbering business. In 1877 he was elected sheriff of Portage County and after serving two years was re-elected in 1882, this time for three years. He then served four years as under sheriff. In 1886 he was appointed chief of police at Stevens Point where he served for 5 years, retiring in 1892. "He was a most active official, a terror to evil doers and known as such throughout the state and even beyond its borders." On April 16, 1893 he was appointed postmaster of the city serving for four years. From 1881 until 1893 he was also engaged in the livery business with John W. Ball and from 1993 until 1900 was in the same business with his son, R. B. Finch.
John Finch died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. G. A. Felker, in Milwaukee on April 3, 1908. He was buried in Forest Cemetery.
Researched by Donna Hanson from sources: The Gazette and The Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XIX, No. 3, Spring 1997
Carrie J. Frost, was born at La Crosse, WI on October 14, 1868, the daughter of John Frost and Caroline McMeekins. Her father was from New York state and her mother, Philadelphia. There were 10 children in the family: John, Charles, Edward, Joseph, Austin, Carrie, Florence, George, Edith and Walter.
The family moved from La Crosse to Wells, MN when Carrie was 12 years old, and to Stevens Point in 1885. Carrie graduated from High School here in 1888. She taught school in Motley, MN for two years and in Stevens Point grade schools before beginning her business career.
She started making artificial fishing lures for her father, who was an ardent fisherman. She made thousands of samples, specializing in trout flies, before creating one that she thought was good enough to put on the market. After manufacturing the flies at her home for awhile, she moved into a store on Jefferson Street.
As the business grew, she moved to a location on Normal Avenue and then into a building on Ellis Street. Eventually a new brick building was erected at the Ellis Street location.
In 1906 her brother, George, became associated with her in the business which was known as the C. J. Frost Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Company. She was employing 150 people when she retired in 1919. She sold the business to a firm operating under the name of the Frost Fishing Tackle Company which evolved into the Weber Tackle Company.
Carrie loved to hunt and fish. She had a farm in Richford Township, Waushara Co., where she spent her summers. She maintained a private trout pond there. Wady Creek ran through the property and trout ponds were formed by damning the spring water stream. Her home was situated in a g rove of trees facing the ponds and she enjoyed spending her time there fishing and entertaining friends.
Carrie died October 6, 1937. She was survived by one sister, Edith (Mrs. W. B. Wells) of Minneapolis, and two brothers, John of Stevens Point and Austin of Englewood, CA. She is buried in Forest Cemetary.
Information from Standard History of Portage County and Obituary from Stevens Point Daily Journal, October 7, 1937.
One of the common names in Portage County today is that of Glodowski. A great many of the Glodowski's are descended from John Glodowski. He was born in Poland June 4, 1832, the son of John Glodowski and Mariana Zierczik. He married Antonina Krefta in Poland, the daughter of Albert and Mary Krefta. She was born Decmeber 18, 1837 in Poland. They came to the United States in 1859 and settled in Winona, Minnesota. A couple of years later they came to Wisconsin, first to Waupaca County then Portage County. They lived in Sharon Township for awhile then Amherst Township. He was a farmer. When each of his three oldest sons married, Mr. Glodowski gave them farms he had bought. When the youngest son married he gave him the home farm. They had the following children:
1) Mary, born March 15, 1859 in Poland. She married John
Kizewski. The both had died by 1919.
2) Joseph was also born in Poland and died when they were coming across the ocean. 3) John F. was born in Sharon Township September 26, 1863. He married Rosa Repinski February 5, 1884. They had a large family. He died November 17, 1919.
4) Peter was born November 7, 1865. He lived in Amherst Township. He married Lucy Karoz/Karch/Koch on May 5, 1885. He died October 10, 1929.
5) Martin was born January 16, 1869 and died March 31, 1934.
6) Frances was next in line and she married Frank Shulfer. They lived in the town of Stockton.
7) Leo was born in 1874 and died March 7, 1884.
8) Julia was born October 20, 1876. She married John Ciseski from Buena Vista Township. She died April 30, 1930.
9) Teophil Charles was born April 14, 1880 and died July 17, 1955.
John Glodowski died October 3, 1902 and is buried at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Fancher.
According to his death certificates on file in the court house Jacob Glodowski and Antoni Glodowski were brothers of John and also lived in Portage County. There was one more brother, Matthias.
[Corrections and additions in John Glodowski bio: His wife's parents, Albert & Marianna Kreft, and her sister Julianna and her husband, John Gawin, and their family, traveled with them. Peter & Rosalia Lorbiecki and their family also traveled with them on the Elbe. They were a party of 16 reduced by one when John and Antonina's infant son, Joseph, died at sea. They left the port of Hamburg bound for Quebec, Canada, on May 10, 1862. (It appears that Rosalia was a sister to John and his brothers Mathias, Anton, and Jacob. Suleczyno parish records show the birth of a daughter, Rosalia, to Johann Glodowski & Marianna Jereczek on May 6, 1824. The survivors named in the Suleczyno death record of the senior Johann on January 11, 1861, include a daughter named Rosalia, and the four brothers, Mathias, John, Anton, and Jacob, all who came to America. It appears as though three sisters, Josephina, Eva, and Anna, remained in West Prussia.
Submitted by Adeline Sopa, July 2, 2009.]
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. I, No. 1, October 1978
John "Sailor Jack" Hawn arrived in Stevens Point
in 1845. There was just one log shanty at the end of Main Street along
the shore of the Wisconsin River. Two years later, he located in Stevens
Point. John was the son of John F. Hawn and Mary
M. Gran (or Grau) and born in Youngstown, New York, December 4th 1824.
John erected a warehouse in Stevens Point not long after locating here and began the business of supplying people in the lumber business with cash and supplies (known as "Staking"). John later became a river pilot and he was one of the first to take a fleet of lumber down the Wisconsin river to market along the Mississippi River. He also was a timber scout, estimating how much lumber was in the a certain area.
On Thanksgiving Day of 1852 (November 30) he and Mira Long were married in Stevens Point by the Rev. George Turner. The notice of their marriage appeared in the first issue of THE WISCONSIN PINERY on January 21, 1853. It says she was Lamira Long from Rockford, Ill. She was born on Ocotober 21, 1835 in Moscow, Ohio, the daughter of John Long and Nancy Judd. She came to Stevens Point in 1851.
The Hawn's had seven children, three of who died in infancy. The others were Alice, born May 7, 1854; Fred; Jessie, born in 1866; and Russell. Alice married James R. Congdon June 18, 1877. They lived in Stevens Point. They had two children, James living in Beulah, Michigan and Myra living in Milwaukee at the time of their mother's death. Alice died November 6, 1926.
Fred was with the railroad and was living in Tyler, Texas in 1909 and Dallas, Texas in 1926. Russell was a superintendent for the Virginia Portland Cement Company at Fordwick, Virginia in 1909. In 1918 he was living in Staten Island, New York and in 1926 in Birmingham, Alabama.
Jessie Hawn never married. She taught school in Stevens Point for 26 years and retired in 1916. In October of 1918 she went to Chicago to have surgery and died there. Her body was brought back to Stevens Point and she was buried in Forest Cemetery.
John Hawn died when he was 84 years old on July 8, 1908. Mira Hawn died in Stevens Point on September 26, 1909 from malaria she had gotten while visiting her son in Texas. They lived at 216 Division Street as did the Congdon's. They are buried in Forest Cemetery.
Edwin R. Herren was born in Ashtabula, Ohio on December
22, 1838, the son of Robert and Caroline Hill
Herren, natives of New York and Connecticut. Until he was
14 years of age he lived at Ashtabula. At that time he moved with
his parents to Beloit, Wisconsin where he attended school and then worked
in the post office. He located at Kilbourn (now the Wisconsin Dells)
where he became a clerk in the office of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St.
Paul Railway. Nine months later he became an agent for the railway
at Iron Ridge and stayed there until after the outbreak of the Civil War.
In 1861, with Josesph Bailey, he organized a company for duty at the front. Mr. Bailey was elected Captain and Mr. Herren Lieutenant. The company was organized for three months but the quota was full so they reorganized for three years. The unit became Company D, Fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. It left Wisconsin in July for the purpose of joining the Army of the Potomac and participating in the Battle of Bull Run, but the action took place before the company reached the scene. Company D remained at Baltimore until February 19, 1862, when it was sent to Newport News. On March 5th it sailed for Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico, having been assigned to General B. F. Butler's New Orleans expedition. It was among the first of the land forces to enter New Orleans. Major Herren continued active in service until May of 1863 when he was wounded. His right leg was shot off in the battle of Port Hudson. He had been promoted to the rank of Captain and was mustered out. Later he was brevetted Major for gallantry and meritorious service.
After the war Major Herren associated with J. E. Dixon and son of Kilbourn in the general merchandising business. In 1866 their store was destroyed by fire and they moved to Davenport, Iowa, where they conducted a dry goods business. He then became associated with the Sickels and Preston Hardware Company of Davenport until 1871. At that time he moved to Chicago and became a partner of C. H. Cronkhite in the sash door and blind business. In 1873 he sold his interest to Mr. Cronkhite and moved to Stevens Point. He engaged in the lumber business here with Matthew Wadleigh under the firm name of Herren & Wadleigh. The planing mill and lumber yard of the firm were located on the site of the Vetter Manufacturing Company plant. This was the scene of one of Stevens Point's biggest fires, which occurred in the 1880's, consuming buildings covering two city blocks.
On December 14, 1871, Major Herren was married to Anna A Yeomans of Syracuse, New York. They lived at 646 Shaurette Street between Church and Division Streets, constructing three dwellings in that block and owning other residences in the vicinity. The major was also in partnership with W. J. Clifford in the lumber business here and served for several terms on the Board of Education and was the city council representative from the second ward.
In 1890 the family moved to Fond du Lac. Major Herren became secretary and treasurer of the Winnebago Furniture Company, continuing in that post until his retirement in 1911. He died February 26, 1921 at Fond du Lac. Burial was in Rochester, New York. His wife, three daughters, Edith Marie Herren, Fond du lac; Mrs. Frank Watkins, Evanston, Illinois; Mrs. Charles Gasper, Cleveland, Ohio; and one son, Francis Boardman Herren, Cleveland, Ohio survived him. Anna Herren died December 28, 1927 at Evanston, Illinois and was buried beside her husband in Rochester, New York.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XIV, No. 2, Winter 1992
Frederick Huntley was born on October 9, 1825 at Salina, Onondaga Co. NY, the son of Lentulus and Henrietta Huntley. His father was a Methodist minister. His grandfather was Solomon Huntley who was born in Connecticut and fought in the French and Indian Wars. At the age of 14, Frederick moved with his parents and siblings to Michigan. His siblings were: Herman, Solomon, Ruth, Adaline, Elizabeth, Lyda, Jennie and Alvira. Frederick attended school until he was 17 years old and then went to work.
Frederick was married to Adeliza S. Powers at Nettawa, MI in 1844. She was born December 4, 1828. They farmed in St. Joseph's Co., MI until 1855. In 1851 Frederick caught gold fever and headed for the California gold fields via Panama to San Francisco. He spent several years at Sacramento but never struck it rich, so returned to Michigan.
In February of 1855 he purchased 160 acres in Section 8 of Buena Vista Township in Portage County, moving there with his family. Besides farming, he did various other things to make a living. He was postmaster for 20 years for the Buena Vista post office which he kept in his home. Later he had a store at Liberty Corners and kept the post office there. He was town treasurer for 6 years, town chairman for 16 years, Justice of the Peace for 6 years and also on the county board for several years.
In 1869 he was elected to the state assembly and served for two terms. He was director and president of the Stockton Insurance Company. He was also an ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was frequently called upon to preach at Liberty Corners and at other neighboring churches. He was a convincing and earnest speaker and had a deep interest in church matters and contributed generously to the building of the church at Liberty Corners.
Frederick and Adeliza had four children. Harriet married Dr. Miner and is buried at Liberty Corners. Ora died at 3 years of age. Fred married Jemima Jane Newby and Frank married Elva Fuller. They are both buried at Liberty Corners.
Adeliza Huntley died on May 8, 1903 and Frederick Huntley died on May 12, 1907. They are both buried in the Liberty Corners Cemetery.
RESEARCHED BY: Donna Hanson
SOURCES: GAZETTE, May 13, 1903 and May 15, 1907; STANDARD HISTORY OF PORTAGE COUNTY pp 766-68.
Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 2, January 1983
Born 29 March 1831 in the Village of Prince's End, Parish of Sedgley, Staffordshire, England1 to John and Elizabeth (Turner) Hyde. He was the youngest of 13 children2, seven of whom survived to adulthood3. His father was a contractor in England2.
Thomas attended school until age 15. He then worked as a clerk in an iron working company until 1857 when he emigrated to Canada. Disappointed with prospects there, he moved to Big Prairie, Waushara County WI, where he owned and farmed land2.
On 29 November 18594, he married Sarah Verrill. Sarah had been widowed the April before when her husband, Eleazer, fell into a well and drowned5. She was born Sarah Wille Lord on 9 August 1831 in Athens, Somerset, Maine5 to Howard and Sally (Willy) Lord. At the time of her marriage to Thomas, she had a son, John E. Verrill (1855-1898)6. (The Lord family had moved from Maine to Oasis about 1849. Sarah and Eleazer, also from Maine, were married in 1853).
Mr. Hyde enlisted on 8 March 1864 into Company D, 38th Wisconsin Infantry at Madison. He served at Cold Harbor, in the siege at Petersburg, Virginia, and saw action at Hatcher's Run and in the capture at Fort Mahone. He was discharged at the Delaney House 26 July 1865. He served as Chief Clerk for the Brigade Quartermaster for several months2. His Civil War pension records describe him as 5'4", brown hair, and grey eyes5.
After discharge, he resumed farming and in 1870, began an insurance business in Stevens Point2. The Hydes had two daughters, Elizabeth ("Lizzie" born 1859) whose husband, William J. Shumway, joined Mr. Hyde in the insurance business, and Amy (1868-1932) who married George E. Oster. Hyde descendants still live in the Stevens Point area - Delzells, Hollisters, and Booths.
In 1883, the Hydes bought a home at 422 Clark Street. They lived there until they died, Mr. Hyde on 26 October 19057, and Sarah on 23 November 19218. Both are buried in Forest Cemetery.
1) Pages from the Family Bible presented to "Lizzie" Hyde by her parents on her 18th birthday in 1877.
2) "Soldiers' and Citizens' Album of Biographical Record, containing Personal Sketches of Army Men and Citizens prominent in Loyalty to the Union." Grand Army Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1888. pp. 304-305.
3) Abstract from the Hyde Family Bible, copied by John Hyde and sent to his brother, Thomas, in Wisconsin.
4) Marriage Certificate of Thomas Hyde and Sarah Verrill.
5) Thomas Hyde's pension papers copied at the National Archives.
6) John E. Verrill obituary 25 July 1898 in S.P. Daily Journal.
7) Thomas Hyde's obituary 1 November 1905 in Stevens Point Gazette.
8) Sarah Hyde's obituary 1 December 1921 in Stevens Point Gazette.Contributed by Nancy O. Heydt, Neptune, New Jersey.