Fort Koshkonong was built in 1832 by General Henry Atkinson. It was built specifically for supporting the Army currently searching out Black Hawk. It was built at the junction of the Rock and Bark Rivers. The fort never had any buildings. It was a stockade with a couple of blockhouses.
Following the Black Hawk War, the fort was abandoned. Settlers choosing to settle in this area, used logs from the fort for their own homes and farms, as well as firewood. There are few remnant left of this fort. The town that grew up in the area is known as Fort Atkinson. A replica of the fort (somewhat larger than the original) was built at the Rock River Park in Fort Atkinson. There is a marker identifying the exact location of the fort.
© 2011 - Present Compilation Copyright. All Rights Reserved. Not for commercial use without express written permission of the copyright holder.