AKA Camp McKown
Fort Winnebago was built in 1828 following the Winnebago War in 1827. It's purpose was to keep the peace along the well-used Fox-Wisconsin Waterway. The site was chosen because of the location of Red Bird's surrender as well as the location between the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers. Fort Winnebago's location allowed it to regulate transportation between the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.
In 1832, troops from the fort saw action in the Black Hawk War. But other than that, the troops were put to work constructing a road from Portage to Fond du Lac, as well as assisting the Ho Chunk tribe with relocation to Minnesota.
With the absence of any real threat, the fort was abandoned in 1845 and sold to a private party. In 1856, most of the fort was destroyed by fire. What remained following the fire was the Surgeon's Quarters and two other buildings, all of which were used for farm use. In 1912, the other two buildings were demolished.
In 1937, the Daughters of the American Revolution purchased the Surgeon's Quarters and three acres. They operate a museum out of the Surgeon's Quarters. The Garrison School is also located on the museum grounds. Nearby, the Winnebago Indian Agency House has been restored.
© 2011 - Present Compilation Copyright. All Rights Reserved. Not for commercial use without express written permission of the copyright holder.