Ghost Town of Port Ulao
Port Ulao was founded in 1847 by James T Gifford. He built a 1000 foot pier into Lake Michigan where fisherman could stop to clean and smoke their catches.
The community was located just east of Ulao on the shore of Lake Michigan.
Mr Gifford sold wood to lake ships for fuel. In 1853, Daniel Wells and John Howe took over the town. When the lake ships turned to other fuel types, the town withered away. Today, all that remains is the remnants of the pier and an abandoned tavern.
© 2010 - Present Compilation Copyright. All Rights Reserved. Not for commercial use without express written permission of the copyright holder.