This is a listing of towns, villages and hamlets of long ago and today.
AURORAVILLE - The first settler of this town was Henry R. Floyd in 1849. During the next ten years he was followed by E. W. Daniels, N.W. Harrington, A.A. Daniels, W.F. Williams and B.F. and D.L. Davenport. The cranberry bogs of Berlin were known throughout the state and brought large numbers of people to the area who depended upon their harvest for their livelihood. It is reported that the first white child here was Eunice N. Culver on February 22, 1851.
BRUSHVILLE - Was once more than a hamlet on Spring Creek with a steam sawmill, two churches, and a creamery. The first death was that of Calvin Swift in 1853. Justin Noble and Charles Stowers built the first sawmill here in 1857.
CEDAR LAKE - A hamlet located in the town of Saxeville that had a post office and a lumber company. E. Emerson was the postmaster and William James the lumberer.
COLEBROOK - This town, located on Willow Creek, once boasted a post office, blacksmith and a feed mill. It is now a part of Mt. Morris.
COLOMA - Several conflicting stories surround the settlement of Coloma, once known as Coloma Corners. Most of these stories surround two men and the years 1849 and 1850, so it is safe to say that it was during this time when Coloma was first settled. Only the last names of these two men has even been mentioned, one was Mr. Drake and the other was Mr. Stowe. The town was also once a part of Adario (now called Richford) and Sylvester (which was later renamed Hancock). It was first called Ross Corners.
COLOMA STATION - In 1876, a rail line was planned to be built and run from Stevens Point to Portage and with that, a new village soon formed. This was due to the fact that the railroad owner and an unnamed property owner had a dispute over the land that the railroad would run through which resulted in the tracks running several miles east of Coloma Corners.
DAKOTA - This area was settled under the Military Bounty Land Act of 1850 in the name of Nathan Hatch. Early settlers recorded in the abstracts of 1852 include F.E. Wandrey, William Diggles, John Wandrey, and Allen Dewell, though these are just a few of them.
GLEN ROCK - Once situated between Neshkoro and Spring Lake at the turn of the century when two quarries were producing well. The town was once prosperous and progressive. William Harvey ran a boarding house near the Milwaukee Quarry on the south side of Spring Lake. The boarding house for the Northern Quarry was operated by Mr. & Mrs. Fred Dahlke. The Marr Cemetery is located in what used to be the down of Glen Rock and though many of the stones are no longer visible, the cemetery remains as a memorial to the early settlers of this community. One stone that still stands is that of a Civil War Veteran, Thomas Joslin, who served in Co F-18 of the Wisconsin Infantry.
HAMILTON - The primary business of the small community within the town of Warren were dairying, the blacksmith shop and sawmill of Thomas E. Decker and the cheese factory of J.R. Wilcox.
HANCOCK - Was originally called Sylvester and was a part of what is now Coloma. It got the name Sylvester because Mr. Sylvester was it's first settler in 1850. It wasn't until about 1855 that others began to arrive and settle in the area and the town was officially organized in 1856. Hancock suffered three fires which nearly destroyed the town but each time, Hancock was rebuilt through strong will and determination of its founders. The first fire was February 14, 1893 followed by another on April 3, 1894. The fire in 1904 didn't do quite as much damage as the first two.
MT. MORRIS - First settled in 1849 by E.W. Alverd and William Tibbitt. The first child born in this settlement was born to Nils and Anna Nilson on July 26, 1850. The first marriage was that of Andrew Deseals and Catherine Campbell. The first school was built in 1854 and the teacher was Mary Morse.
PINE RIVER - The earliest settlers to this area were "the Lange family" who named it so because of the pine trees which overhung the river.
PLAINFIELD - First settled in 1848 by William N. Kelly and was then called Norwich. In 1849, Elijah C. Waterman arrived and laid out a village, offering free lots to anyone willing to build and live on them. When the post office was established and Mr. Waterman appointed postmaster he officially changed the name to honor his home in Plainfield, VT.
POY SIPPI -
SACRAMENTO - Once a prosperous town about two miles north of Berlin and the first county seat. It was platted out in 1849 by T. Townsend and had a trading post erected prior to 1850. Benjamin Langworthy was the first postmaster during a time when Green Lake and Waushara Counties were a part of Marquette County.
SPRING LAKE -
SPRING WATER - Settled in 1852 and had two churches, a school and a sorghum plant. Its postmaster was C. Wilson.
TERRILL - Was once known as Terrill's Corners in the township of Leon and consisted of a general store and a grist mill.
WAUTOMA - The county seat of Waushara County and the largest city within the county. Was first organized in 1851 after being settled by Jabez Nelson Rogers, and Charles and John Shumway.
WEST BLOOMFIELD - Was settled in 1855 by H. Koehler, A. Bast, W. Loose, William Timm, and R. Wendt.
WILD ROSE - First settlers of this area arrived from Rose, New York in 1850. When the village was organized in 1874 it was named Wild Rose to distinguish it from the town of Rose and because of the large population of wild roses growing in the area.
Saturday, 20-Aug-2011 07:38:21 MDT
You are our 6068 visitor since this counter was installed on 4 April 2000. Thanks for stopping by.......