WESTFALL'S COMPANY - 8TH VIRGINIA REGIMENT (1776-1778)
By William H. Rice
Regional Family History Society
Note: The source
of the following list is Roll #106, Series M-246 of the Revolutionary
War Microfilm collection at the National Archives. The comments
in parenthesis ( ) are those of the compiler, William H. Rice,
based on other sources available to him. The unit is made
up of 1776 residents of Hampshire County, Virginia in most
- John Anderson - Corp (probably
the same John Anderson who was son-in-law of Daniel Hornbeck
and listed in 1782 Hampshire County tax list of Abel Randall.)
- Joseph Baldwin - Deserted 1
April 1777 (Probably related to the William Baldwin with
1762 grant on North River in Hamp. Co.)
- Edward Barnett/Barnard - On
Furlough in Virginia (May be the Edward Barnard listed in
the 1782 Hamp. Co. tax list of Vincent Williams. )
- James Benwick/Burnwick - 2nd
- George Best - In hospital (Possible
grandson of George See)
- Burkett Boarer/Bozer - On furlough
in Virginia. Prisoner on 4 October 1777 (the widow Borrer
in the 1782 Abel Randall tax list in Hampshire County may
be his wife).
- Abraham Bowman - Colonel - 8
Va. Regt. Commander (Probably the same person Kercheval
says went to Kentucky).
- James Brady/Brandy - Prisoner
4 October 1777
- Thomas Brannon - Sick in Bethlehem
(Probably same person who witnessed 1771 Hampshire County
Deed from James Scott to John Wood on Lost River.)
- Richard Cain (Kane) (Possibly
the same man listed in 1782 Monongalia County tax list.)
- John Chenoweth/Cheneth - Corp.
- Prisoner on 4 October 1777.
- James Christy - Drummer (Probably
the same person listed in 1784 Hampshire County tax list
of Job Welton).
- Charles Collins
- James Crawley - Deserted in
- Christy Donally (Widow may be
the Elizabeth Donnelly listed in the 1732 Hampshire County
tax list of Levi Ashbrook).
- Terrance Doyle (1779 grant on
North Branch in Hampshire County and on 1732 Hampshire County
tax list of William Vause).
- Joseph Edwards - Died 31 May
1777 (Probably the member of Edwards Family on Great Cacapon
in Hampshire County).
- Philip Feint/Faint
- Osburn Flinn - Sgt on command
- Anthony Fox - Sick in Virginia
- George Funt - Sick in Philadelphia
- Patrick Gallahan - Fifer - Died
20 September 1776.
- James Galloway - Died 7 June
- Duncan Graham (Probably lived
in Grant County area).
- John Graham (Same as above).
- John Green - Deserted 12 August
1776 (Possibly married daughter of Conrad Lutz & listed
in 1782 Monongalia County tax list).
- Lawrence Greenholm - Ensign
- John Haggen - Died 15 March
- Henry Hagle - Deserted 23 May
1776 (Probably brother of Michael and John Hagle ).
- William Harvey/Hennesy - Prisoner
4 October 1777
- John Hicks
- John Hogg (Possible survey for
him in 1780 on Black Thorn )
- Abraham Hornbeck (probably son
of Daniel Hornbeck of South Branch ).
- James Hornbeck - On furlough
in Virginia (Probably brother of above ).
- Michael Howell - Fifer - Prisoner
4 October 1777
- John Huff - Died 15 September
1776 (Probably related to the Abraham Huff who got grant
on Great Cacapon in 1789).
- Tobias Hunt - Deserted 23 May
- Moses Johns - Sick in Carolina
(Probably is the Moses Jones who sell tract to George Sharff
in 1798 in Hampshire County ).
- Patrick Johnston/Johnson (probably
settler by that name on Cheat River in present day Tucker
- Joseph Jones - On furlough in
- Peter Kerens - Sgt (Probably
same man listed in 1782 Hampshire County tax list of William
- William Kyneto/Kynets - Died
18/26 September 1776
- Philip Kysinger - took place
of Peter See - Deserted 2 July 1777
- Philip Landers/Sanders - Died
9 March 1777 (Probably member of family of that name who
got 1779 grants on Tear Coat Run. )
- Andrew Layton - Sick in Maryland
- Sick in Peter Little's town (Probably related to the Elias
Layton in the 1782 Monongalia County tax list on Cheat River
near Patrick Johnson)
- Francis Lebun/Lebionon - Deserted
15 July/August 1776
- Hugh Lewis (Got 1777 grant on
North Branch in Hampshire County).
- Strother Little - Sgt (Probably
related to the Michael Little who got 1780 grant on North
- William Lord
- Edward Martin - Deserted 23
may 1776 - (Possibly same man by that name with Belmont
County, Ohio Will recorded in Hampshire County ).
- Edward McCarty - Sgt. (1782
William Vause tax list and 1788 grant on Knobly Mountain,
both in Hampshire County).
- William McCormick - Pvt - Died
28 Dec 1776
- John McDermott - Deserted August
- James McDonald - Sick in Virginia
- Peter McDonald - (1792 Hampshire
County Grant on South Branch).
- Lawrence McGuire - Sick Morristown
- Died 9 April 1777
- Michael McKnight/M. Right -
Deserted 18 May 1777 (Michael McKnight is 85 year old Pvt.
in Virginia Line listed in 1835 RevolutionaryWar Pensioners
Report in Hardy County).
- Henry Miller (Possibly 1782
Hampshire Co. tax list of William Vause and possible 1791
grants on New Creek and Knobly Mountain ).
- Edward Moody - 1st. Lt.
- Patrick Moore - Sick in Fredericksburg
- John Munks (1782 tax list of
Abraham Hite. Married widow of Alexander Roney).
- Thomas O'Banion (Probably related
to the Joseph Obannon listed in the 1782 tax list of Abraham
- Joseph Pancake (1778 sale of
Ephraim Richardson, 1780 Tygart Valley petition and 1782
Abel Randall tax list).
- Daniel Parks - Sick (1782 Hampshire
County estate settlement ).
- Thomas Parnell/Farrell - Deserted
18 May 1777.
- Zachariah Pigman - Prisoner
22 October 1777 (Probably related to the Moses Pigman who
got 1779 grant on Tear Coat Creek).
- Thomas Price - Deserted 22 October
1776 (1775 Hampshire County Deed to William Thixton in Grant
County area and listed on 1777 Tygart Valley petition ).
- William Price - Entered South
Service (possible listing in 1782 tax list of William Buffington).
- Reese Prichard - Ensign - (90
year old Ensign Virginia Line in 1835 Revolutionary War
Pensioners Report in Hampshire County. Died 25 September
- Benjamin Russell - Deserted
- Simon Savage
- Peter See/Lea - On furlough
in Virginia - Philip Kysinger in his place (Possible son
of Frederick See ).
- Henry Shepler - Deserted 23
May 1776 (Son of Henry Shepler, 1780 Hampshire County grant
with brother John Shepler, 1782 Michael Stump tax list)
- John Shepler - Deserted- 23
May 1776 (See above).
- James Shields
- John Stump - Sick in Maryland
(Possible son of Michael Stump. Probably married Mary Magdelena
Brake about 1771).
- James Taffe (Born 1755 married
daughter of Aaron Richardson In Harrison County in 1787,
to Bourbon County by 1792 ).
- William Taylor - On furlough
- George Villers/Dillon?
- Robert Wadsworth (84 year old
Pvt. Virginia Line listed in 1835 Revolutionary War Pensioners
Report in Harrison County).
- Jacob Watson - Sick in Carolina
- Thomas Watson - Deserted May
- William Watson - Sick in Philadelphia
- Michael Weese/Wees - Sick in
Virginia, Furlough in Virginia, Waggoner (1780 Will in Hampshire
County). [buried at Arnold Hill Cemetery, Randolph County,
- John Welch (Possibly in 1782
Monongalia County tax list and in 1835 report of Revolutionary
War Pensioners in Harrison County as 84 year old. Pvt. in
Virginia State Troops ).
- James West - Entered South Service
20 September 1776
- Abel Westfall - Capt. - Resigned
22 Nov 1777 (Revolutionary War Pensioner - unit marched
with George Washington 23 February 1776 ).
- Cornelius Westfall - Ensign
(Probable brother to above and son of John Westfall and
- Jacob Westfall - Sgt - Sick
in Philadelphia & in Jersey (Probably brother to above).
- George Wilfong - Sick in Carolina
& in Philadelphia (probably son of Michael Wilfong).
- William Winters - Sick in Carolina
- John York - Deserted 8 December
NOTE: Thanks very much to Bill
Rice for taking time to prepare this most valuable record
Family History Society
Post Office Box 1804
Elkins, West Virginia 26241