Search billions of records on

Home     Our Library     News & Updates    Arnold Hill Cemetery    Genealogy    Military    Related Links    Photo_Gallery    Site_Map

Abraham Kittle's Revolutionary War Service

Contributed by Mike Holland

German Battalion

This organization was formed in compliance with Resolutions of Congress of May 25 and 27, 1776, which provided that a battalion of Germans be raised for the service of the United Colonies, and that four Companies be raised in Pennsylvania and four Companies in Maryland. The organization was disbanded by Resolution of Congress dated October 3, 1780, which provided that the non-commissioned officers and privates be incorporated into the troops of their respective states, and those not belonging to any particular states be annexed to such Corps as the Commander-in-Chief should direct.

It should be noted that there were no written records of enlistments or discharges at this time. Usually, both were administered orally. There are a few "muster rolls" available, and a few payroll records. However, due to the fact that the majority of enlisted men of the Army of the Revolution could neither read nor write, names were quite often confused in that officers had to accept the name as pronounced and were written as phonetically spelled.

Soldiers quite often served with a commanding officer as opposed to serving in a company or battalion. This means that they were almost privateers. One could not exactly call the Army of the Revolution organized! Men were quite frequently discharged and re-enlisted two or three times within the space of a year. They would leave the regiment to return home and plant crops, rejoin, and go home to harvest.

The following is a record of Abraham Kittle's war records, according to his sworn statement:

He served as a private in the German Regiment from the time of his enlistment until the Battle of Tarrytown when his regiment was reduced to fifteen men. He was then transferred to the 2nd Maryland Regiment under Colonel John Stewart. He was in a battle on General Sullivan's Expedition on the Western Frontier, in the Battle of Green Springs, Virginia, in a battle against the "Black Corps of Horse" in South Carolina.

He was detached from his regiment and sent on two vovages to the Tangier Islands; returned to his regiment and participated in the Battle of Yorktown in which his left arm was wounded and broken
by a cannon ball from the enemy. He was discharged at the close of the Revolutionary War at Annapolis, Maryland in 1783.


Added July 13, 2006