|Home Arnold Hill Cemetery Our Library News & Updates Genealogy Military Related Links Photo_Gallery Site_Map|
The ISNER Family
William ISNER was the first of the name to locate in Randolph, perhaps. He lived in the Valley in 1775 on lands adjoining the lands of Benjamin WILSON (See Early Land Patents in another chapter). Thomas ISNER applied for a pension in the year 1833 on the grounds that he was an Indian spy in the Revolution. Michael ISNER entered 190 acres of land in 1789 in Tygarts Valley. Michael ISNER was a member of the first grand jury in Randolph County in 1787.
History of Randolph County by Dr. A. S. Bosworth (Published
1916. Reprinted 1975.) Chapter XVI, Page 356
Early Land Patents
The General Assembly of Virginia in 1777, passed an Act, providing that all persons, wgo settled on the Western Waters prior to the 24, day of June, 1776, should be given 400 acres of land for each family. In 1779 that law was changed to require one year's residence and the raising of one crop of corn, to entitle him to 400 acres. In 1781, a commissioneer was appointed to grant certificates to those entitled to land in the counties of Monogalia, Ohio and Yohogania. These certificates are of thhe greast historical value as fixing the date and place of occupancy of the pioneers.
"We, the commissioneers for adjusting claims to unpatented lands in the counties of Monogalia, [sic] Yohogania and Ohio do certify that William ISNER is entitled to 400 acres of land in Monongahela County, on Tygarts Valley River to nclude his settlement made in 1775, adjoining lands of Benjamin WILSON.
Given under our hands at Colonel John Evan's this 7, day of March in the fifth year of the Commonwealth of Virginia 1781.
|Return to family page|