Berkeley County, West Virginia Biography of Stewart W. WALKER


         Stewart W. WALKER – His immigrant ancestor was Thomas Walker, who emigrated from London, England, in 1623 and landed in the Colony of Jamestown. The name of Walker can be found among the Indian fighters of early times, with George Washington in his campaigns against the Indians and French, with distinguished jurists, with representatives in the State and National congresses and wherever leaders were needed. Colonel Stewart W. Walker was born in Berkeley County, Virginia, 1862; educated in the district schools, the Berkeley Academy, Washington and Lee University at Lexington, Virginia; graduated in law at the latter. He began the practice of his profession at the Martinsburg Bar, associated with the Hon. Charles J. Faulkner, later the Hon. J.M. Woods at Martinsburg under the firm name of Faulkner, Walker & Woods.

         Mr. Walker was appointed U.S. District Attorney for the Northern District of West Virginia by President Wilson in 1916, in which capacity he served until 1920. During that time the ability of Colonel Walker was taxed to the utmost since the United States was at war with Germany, and many cases of violation of the sedition laws added to the already overburdened business of his office. He was one of the most able lawyers of the Berkeley bar.

         In 1913, he built for himself and his wife a fine colonial mansion on Rosemount, a suburb of Martinsburg. He was a candidate for Congress against the late Hon. Alston G. Dayton, but was defeated. He was a member of the West Virginia Legislature and when serving in that capacity married Annette Thayer of Charleston, West Virginia. He died in 1923, leaving a widow, but no children. His brother, A. Hunter Walker, was a farmer living on the Dry Run Road. In 1922, he was elected president of the Board of Education for the Hedgesville District and was the “father" of the new Hedgesville High School, a $75,000 building finished in the fall of 1926. A. Hunter Walker died in that year.


    Submitted by Marilyn Gouge and extracted from History of Berkeley County, West Virginia, 1928.

    Back to biographies

    Back to Berkeley County GenWeb