Berkeley County, West Virginia Biography of James Hamilton WARD


         James Hamilton WARD was born in the Falling Waters district of Berkeley County, West Virginia, May 22, 1844, on the homestead farm in the north bend of the Potomac River, 3 miles north of Williamsport, Maryland. This land was purchased by his grandfather, Joshua Ward, in 1830 and continued in possession of Joshua Ward and his sons Jacob, Aaron and James C. Ward, until 1870 when it was purchased by James Hamilton Ward and his brother George T. Ward. James H. Ward’s parents were Jacob and Mary A. (Mandling) Ward, both natives of Berkeley County.

         James H. Ward entered into the mercantile business at Falling Waters on February 14, 1871, as a salesman and deputy P.M. with Dr. A.B. Ginrich; he continued in the business until the spring of 1873, when he retired to this farm. He was elected Steward of Eureka Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, in October 1872, holding that position until the termination of that grange on October 10, 1879. He was elected justice of the peace and a member of the county court of Berkeley County in October 1876 for a term of four years. On March 1, 1876, he was appointed by the Board of Directors for Eureka Association as the salesman and Deputy P.M. and continued in charge of that until November 1, 1879, when he again retired to his farm. He was commissioned by the governor of West Virginia as notary public for that county on February 1, 1880, and was elected secretary of the board of education of Falling Waters district June 1, 1881, for two years. His mailing address was Falling Waters, Berkeley County, West Virginia.

    Submitted by Marilyn Gouge and extracted from West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia, Volume 3, a reprint of Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia Berkeley County, WV, Biographies List, 1884.

    Back to biographies

    Back to Berkeley County GenWeb