Berkeley County, West Virginia Biography of F.M. WOODS, D.D.


         F.M. WOODS, D.D., pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Martinsburg from 1879 to at last 1927 (date of publication of the source). He also had charge of the Tuscarora Presbyterian Church in the fall of 1889 until 1913.

         Advanced age caused him to tender his resignation as pastor of the church September 1, 1926, but in 1927 he was still their pastor, the people not wanting to let him leave. He was a gentleman of the “old school,” universally loved by all, whether of the Presbyterian denomination or not.

         He had three sons, two ministers and one lawyer: David J. Woods, D.D., a Presbyterian minister stationed at Clinton, South Carolina; Andrew H. Woods, M.D., stationed at Peking, China, connected with the Rockefeller Foundation and Professor of Neurology, Peking Union Medical College; and Judge J.M. Woods, Judge of the Twenty-Third Judicial Circuit of West Virginia from 1913 to 1925 when he resigned to practice his profession in Charles, West Virginia.


    Submitted by Marilyn Gouge and extracted from History of Berkeley County, West Virginia, 1928.

    Back to biographies

    Back to Berkeley County GenWeb