Doors to the Past
Davis Creek Community
A BRIEF HISTORY OF DAVIS CREEK Community
By James T. Blankenship
Dictated by James T. Blankenship and written by Fern Dillon
The settlement of Davis Creek dates back to about 1832. First settler was
Paul H. Davis, who came from Virginia and located on Black Fork then Wayne
County, but was later divided and the place of his location is now Caboll.
Mr. Davis laid a land warrant for 622 acres of land and built a house near
the sight where T. J. Bolin's house now stands, which has been a land mark
for many years.
Mr. Davis reared a large family of children; four boys, Paul H. Jr.,
James, and Moses, and one girl, Louisa, who married John Coborn. The older
families of the Davis' have all passed away, but a large number of
grandchildren are yet living, of whom some are now teachers in the public
schools. Davis Creek took its name from the first settlers.
The next to settle on Davis Creek was Samuel Blankenship who emigrated
here from Franklin County, Virginia in 1833. From that time he lived in
Cabell County until his death in 1890.
Mr. Blankenship had a family of ten children. Those still living are the
only girl, Fanny, who lives in Florida, and four boys, J. T. of Davis
Creek, Jeff and E. G. of Huntington, and Reece of Four Pole. The oldest
boy of the family, M. T. (now deceased) was a local pastor in the M. E.
In the following year after Mr. Blankenship came here, (in 1843) John Ward
located and built his home where R. W. Hensley now lives. Mr. Ward reared
four boys, Thomas, William, G. W., and David.
Spottswood Hughes came here from Virginia in 1836 and settled on Davis
Creek where he reared his family, two boys, L. D. and Ralph and four
girls, Virginia, Bettie, Anna, and Fannie.
When the Mexican War began in 1846 Spottswood Hughes enlisted under
Captain Elisha McCommas and in the beginning of 1847 he went to Mexico,
but he never returned and it was supposed he was killed in a battle.
L. D. Hughes the son of Spottswood Hughes reared a large family of girls
and boys. The girls were: Mary (who taught in the public schools), Alma,
and Addie. The boys now living are: William, Arnold, and Gallie, who live
at the old home place.
( 1 )