Doors

Back
--------------------
Cabell County History
--------------------
Barboursville History
Cabell Co. Poor Farm
Cabell Creek Community
Davis Creek Community
Brief History of Heath Creek
Little Seven Mile Community
Lower Creek Community
Martha Community
Milton Community
Ona Community
Prichard School History
Memoirs of the Prichard School
Salt Rock Community
Huntington Homes
--------------------
Indian Raid
--------------------
Albert G. Jenkins
Elisha McComas
John Hunt Oley
--------------------
Dwight Whitney Morrow
Thomas Buffington
Peter Marshall
--------------------
Odds & Ends
--------------------
Cabell County Timeline
--------------------
Marshall University
--------------------
Morris Memorial Hospital
--------------------
Milton Honor Roll
--------------------
Ousley's Gap
--------------------
Golf Courses
--------------------
Greater Huntington Wall of Fame
--------------------
Blue Sulphur Hotel
--------------------
Village of Barboursville
--------------------
The Excavating of the Merritt Cemetery
--------------------
Civilian Conservation Corps
--------------------
Moundbuilders of Cabell County
--------------------
Hit & Run Accident
--------------------
Marshall Alumni Day
--------------------
Blenko Glass
--------------------
Wreck of the J. C. Rawn
--------------------
Barboursville Brick Company
--------------------
Huntington State Hospital
--------------------
1933 Telephone Directory
--------------------
1880 Milton Census
--------------------
Huntington Barber School
--------------------
History of the Milton Community
--------------------
Fasenmyer Brewery
--------------------
Carter G. Woodson
--------------------
Stewart Drive Inn
--------------------
Central Babe Ruth League
1956
--------------------

 

 

Doors to the Past

Lower Creek Community

Lower Creek Community
Taken From Cabell Heritage Book 1996

 Submitted by Keith Kearns

Early settlers of the Lower Creek Community got their land patents around 1830. In the vast area between Lower Creek and Bryant Creek, there were only 4 houses, the rest was wilderness. Some of the early settlers were the Houchins, Beekers, Templetons, Cremeans, and Jordans. Later came the Adams, Rolfes, Leggs, Arthurs, Yates, Davis, Gwinns, Millers and Poores. More settlers arrived, cleared land, and built homes. A school was needed. The old Bryant School located near the mouth of Lower Creek was one of the first schools in the county. It was a log building with a fireplace running the entire length of one end. Big enough, so whole logs could be rolled into it. The windows were covered with greased paper. The benches were split lots, with pins driven in for legs. Katherine Bryant was one of the first teachers. The old Bryant School was torn down in 1876.

Early church services were held in the school house. This was called a Union Church, since both Baptists and Methodists used it. Later a disagreement occurred and Buelah Ann Church on Cabell Creek was built as a result.

In the early days there were no roads, only paths and creek beds. The first road was built in 1870. The early settlers who cleared this land worked hard and played hard. They traded work and play time. They endured hardships and privations, so they could leave a better land to future generations to enjoy. Descendants of these early settlers still live in this area.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Templates in Time