Doors to the Past
History of Milton
History of the Milton Community
Beginning about 1814, John Morris Jr. was bonded by the Cabell County Court and operated a ferry across the Mud River. By 1825 a covered bridge was erected and in 1834, when the upper covered bridge was completed, the ferry service stopped.. In 1825 John Morris Jr. sold Abia Rece 150 acres near the covered bridge. A stage coach stop was later established near the first covered bridge and by 1870 a post office known as Mud Bridge Virginia was established. John Milton Rece was it’s first postmaster. It was common back then for a town to be named after its first postmaster. When the post office was moved on March 10 1873, the name “Milton” followed.
After the Civil War the C&O Railway began negotiations for right-of-way through the village of Milton. The railway opened on December 14 1871 and in 1872 a depot was built.
David Harshbarger purchased 330 acres of land at public auction in 1871 for $6,650.00This is the tract of land where the town of Milton is located. On September 16, 1876 the Cabell County Court issued to Milton a certificate of incorporation.
1877 An ordinance was passed prohibiting horses from running on the streets.
The first Milton Fire Company was formed and the first Census
1882 The town deeded two and one half acres for use as a cemetery
1883 Unlawful for hogs to run at large in corporate limits.
1884 Milton Hook and ladder Co formed. (Fire Department)
1886 No hitching of horses or animals to the lamp posts.
1897 The City well”
was located on the corners of North Main and Pike
1898 James R. Dudley established the “Cabell Record”
The town of Milton granted a franchise to the Teays Valley
Telephone Co to conduct telephone business in Milton.
1902 Oil and gas discovered in the Milton area.
Milton granted a franchise to Cabell Oil and Gas Co to
1904 The Bank of Milton is chartered.
William Jennings Bryan made a “whistle stop” in Milton during his
The C&O Railway moved it’s right of way from the center
1912 The beginning of the Milton water system.
The Cabell County Court purchases the C&O right of way
1915 Bus service to
Huntington is established
1933 Milton’s first movie theater.
Memorial Hospital and 181 acres is deeded
Memorial Hospital is leased by town of Milton
1939 Milton purchases it’s first fire truck.
present……………………… many changes too