Markers placed by the Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter

Price Memorial Cemetery (1928)
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of 18 Revolutionary soldiers killed near here by the Indians in 1778
Jacob Statler
James Piles
Joseph Wade
John McDaniels
Michael Kiderling
13 other names unknown
Placed by the Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Through the generosity of A.C. Price and William Price family

 

Location: On Route 7 West of Morgantown approximately 10.5 miles from the Sheetz station at the end of the Star City bridge; it is 0.2 miles beyond Statler's Country Mart.  The marker is located in a field on the right side of the road, directly across from a street sign pointing to the Mooresville Road on the left.

Kern's Fort (1927)
This tablet marks the site of KERNS FORT
Erected at the beginning of Dunmore's War
1774
Placed by the Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1927

 

Location: At the corner of Reay Alley and Arch Street in Morgantown's Second Ward.

George Washington Crossing (1932)
George Washington crossed Cheat River at this point via
Ice's Ferry
September 25, 1784
Tablet placed by
The Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1932

Location: At the east end of the old Ice's Ferry bridge crossing Cheat Lake. The tablet is about 30 feet above the ground and is set in the rock cliffs.

USS Maine Tablet (1915)
In Memoriam
U.S.S. Maine
Destroyed in Havana Harbor
February 15th, 1898
This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine

This tablet was presented to Morgantown High School in 1915 and was displayed in its auditorium for many years.  When the old school was torn down in the late 1970s, a history teacher recovered it and now uses it in his classes to help teach about the Spanish-American War.

Susannah Guseman Cobun (1924)
1809-1910
Real Daughter

Susannah Guseman Cobun was the only "Real Daughter" (actual daughter of a Revolutionary War patriot) in the Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter.  She is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morgantown.

Patrick Henry Statue (1916)

This wooden statue of Patrick Henry was sculpted in 1851 by Ebenezer Mathers.  For 40 years, it stood atop the dome of the old Monongalia County Courthouse.  It was removed from the dome in 1891 and was cared for by C. Russell Houston in his shop on Pleasant Street.  In 1916, he gave it to the Elizabeth Ludington Hagans DAR Chapter so that it might be preserved for future generations. They,in turn, presented it to Morgantown High School (which eventually became Morgantown Junior High School), where it stood until the building was torn down in the late 1970s.  The statue now stands to the right of the front door of the present Monongalia County Courthouse.

 

 

Markers placed by the Colonel John Evans Chapter

Fort Martin (1929)
Seven hundred feet east of this marker is the site of Martin's Fort built in 1773 for the protection against the Indians and British. Here in 1779, three settlers were killed and seven were captured by the Indians.


Erected by Colonel John Evans Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
October 26, 1929

 

Location:  Approximately 6.7 miles from Granville.  Start out on Route 100 North in Granville; at the fork in the road, take the Ft. Martin Road (Route 53) to the right.  The marker is 0.3 miles past the sign/road up to the Ft. Martin United Methodist Church (on the right).  It is on the right side of the road, surrounded by tall pine trees.

Col. John Evans grave marker
Revolutionary Soldier
Col. John Evans
1737 - 1834
Placed by Col. John Evans Chapter NSDAR

 

Location: the lower end of Oak Grove Cemetery in Morgantown.

George Washington's Visit (1932)

One half mile north of this marker stood the house where George Washington stopped in September 1784, and conferred with leading men of this section, "pursuing my inquiries respecting the navigation of the western waters."  Eager to investigate the Cheat River and the Monongahela River, he sought out Samuel Hanway, "the surveyor of Monongalia County," and he also sent to the Court House in Morgans Town for Zackquill Morgan and others "who would have it in their power to give the best accounts that were to be obtained, which, assenting to, they were sent for and came."

Quotations from the diary of George Washington
for September 24, 1784

Erected by the Colonel John Evans Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution, September 24, 1932
Morgantown, West Virginia

Location:  The marker is at the corner of North Pierpont Road and the Old Cheat Road.  It is quite close to where North Pierpont Road crosses over Interstate 68.


 

Markers placed by both chapters

DAR Boulder at Monongalia County Courthouse Square (1912)
To the patriots of the American Revolution who went from Monongalia County and to those who we buried in the county.
This stone is placed as a loving tribute to their 
courage and valor
by the Daughters of the American Revolution of
Morgantown West Virginia
1776 - 1912

Washington Bicentennial Trees Plaque (1932)
1732 - 1932
Washington Bicentennial Trees
Planted by
Woman's Club
P.E.O. Sisterhood
Elizabeth Ludington Hagans Chapter DAR
Colonel John Evans Chapter DAR
Morgantown Union Lodge No. 4
Lions Club
Garden Club
Womans Christian Temperance Union
Rotary Club
Quota Club
W.Va. Auxiliaries United Spanish War Veterans
American Legion and Auxiliary

Location:  This plaque originally marked trees that were planted in the vicinity of present-day Brooks Hall on the WVU Campus.  When it needed to be moved to make way for construction, it was housed in the WVU Core Arboretum for many years.  However, it was eventually stolen and then returned a year later.  At that time, a decision was made to turn it over to the West Virginia Regional and History Collection for safekeeping, where it resides today.