Fayette County was formed by an Act of the General Assembly of
Virginia, February 28, 1831 from Kanawha, Nicholas, Greenbrier and
Logan Counties. It was named in honor of General Lafayette.
New Haven in Mountain Cove district was the first county seat,
which was later moved to Vandalia, named for Abraham Vandal, in
whose house court was held until a public building could be completed.
Vandalia was renamed Fayetteville in 1837 and has remained the county
seat to the present.
Political Districts: The county was divided into four districts
prior to the Civil War: Fayetteville, Falls of Kanawha, Mountain
Cove and Sewell Mountain. The county court divided the county into
seven townships on March 5, 1870: Sewell Mountain, Mountain cove,
Gauley, Falls, Kanawha, Fayetteville and Paint Creek. However, on
May 16, 1870, this was repealed and five districts were formed:
Kanawha, Falls, Fayetteville, Sewell Mountain and Mountain Cove.
Quinnimont district was formed in 1887 from the Sewell Mountain
district and Nuttall district was formed in 1896 from Mountain Cove
Fayette County Marriages
Fayette County Records at the
WV Archives (microfilm)
Pictorial History of Elkridge, WV - Tom Kinkaid