Districts: Grant County
Petersburg: Population: 2423, Elevation 937'. On the South Branch of the Potomac River, Petersburg was settled in 1745. It as named after German colonist Jacob Peterson, who established the town's first store. During the Civil war, the town served as a union outpost along the contested border between the North and South. Nearby earthworks were constructed by troops from Illinois and Ohio. (Source: AAA Tourbook).
Petersburg Gap: is E. on US 220 and SR 55. The South Branch of the Potomac River breaks through Orr's Mountain at this point. The cliffs to the south side rise to a height of 800 feet. The "Pictured Rocks' are where figures of a fox and an ox or buffalo appear to have been carved into the Cliffs. (Source AAA Tourbook)
© - Copyright
2004, Janet Cooper
This Page was last updated -- Sunday, 14-Mar-2004 19:14:58 MST .