|The WVGenWeb Project|
Submitted by: John C. Dawson Dewees and allied family Researcher past Historian Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War James A. Garfield Camp #142 Cleveland, Ohio at email@example.com
Francis M Evans, private, Company H, 11th West Virginia Infantry Volunteers, who mustered in this unit on March 5, 1864, at the age of 24. He joined the unit with another Evans in it, perhaps a younger brother, Perry Evans, also a private, who mustered in on February 10, 1863 at the age of 18. 19 men of this regiment were dishcharged from service on November 14, 1864 at Newtown, Virginia, after completing their 3 year enlistment. Recruits were necessary, and it appears as though Francis was enlisted to fill this future void. On September 25, 1863, this unit was attacked by William L. "Mudwall" Jackson (relative of Stonewall Jackson) at Bulltown, West Virginia. A sharp fight ensued, and the rebels retreated in defeat. Regiments comprised of privates, corporals, sergeants, lieutenants, and captains and the 11th was commanded by three Captains, first was Lewis Smith, who was dismissed September 14, 1863. The next was Captain George W. Parriot who commanded the unit until his term expired and he was discharged at Newtown, November 14, 1864. Last was Captain Samuel K. Kirkpatrick who was promoted to this rank on March 6, 1865, near the end of the 1864/1865 winter quarters. He commanded until the end at Appomattox where this unit fronted General Robert E. Lee's army bringing about the surrender. The 11th was a part of the XXIV Corps of General John Gibbons (Iron Brigade Commander) which was the first infantry units of the North at Appomattox, relieving Custers troopers in time to stop the rebel advance (Gen John Gordon CSA's troops). One of the flags of surrender was at the front of the 11th. The 11th fought in the Shenandoah prior to their transfer to Gibbons' Corps, and fought at Cedar Creek under General Phil Sheridan. Led throughout the last two years by General George Crook, the 11th was part of the Army of West Virginia, Kanawha Division.