|The WVGenWeb Project|
Complied by Carol Graley from History of the Great Kanawha Valley and the 1850-1860 census or Kanawha County, WV
Stephen Teays, a laborer, joined the Kanawha Riflemen, May 8,1861 at Charleston, West Virginia. He was born at Upper Falls on Coal River, October 24, 1839, and died February 5, 1905. He was the son of James T/S Teays, born 1817 in Virginia, and Mary Ann Thomas, born 1820 Virginia and died September 19, 1900. Stephen had seven siblings: John H., born 1840; Mary C., born 1847; James W., born 1850; Mice E., born 1852; Martha H., born 1854; Parthenia, born 1857; and Robert, born 1859. James and Mary Teays were married November 26, 1838, by Reverend E. Hewes Field. His grandfather was the first settler of Coalsmouth on the lower side of Coal River. The Teays family ran the stage coach depot, tavern and inn on the lower side of St. Albans.
Stephen Teays was a captain at Winchester, Virginia, September 19, 1864. He was POW at Pt. Lookout, Maryland, September24, 1864. He was released February 25, 1865. After taking oath, he spent four years in Missouri. In later years, he was city treasurer of St. Albans in 1896, liquor dealer and tavern owner.
Stephen bought the John P. Turner home located at B Street in St. Albans in 1880. Living in Stephen's household in the 1880 census were Mary, his wife; son, John H.; daughters: Alice E, Martha A., and Ella; servants: Mason Hanie and Waitee; sister-in-law, Elizabeth Thomas; and brother, James W. Teays.