|The WVGenWeb Project||
JONATHAN DERRICK AND MARY (HAYNES)
Poca Dist. (Derrick's Creek)
Jonathan lived in Botetourt Co. VA from 1785 till about
1811. He was fourteen years old in 1790 when his father
John DERK/DERRICK died. He was mentioned in his
father's will as "my little son Jonathan" and he was
to remain in Botetourt Co. VA. to take care of his
mother. His brothers Michael and John subsequently
moved to Hawkins Co. TN.
Jonathan was the only Derrick of his family to move
to Western Virginia. One uncle stayed in PA but the
others all traveled into TN, eventually spreading
descendants to Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas. What
ever the reason, Jonathan left the Derrick clan to
head west to what in now WV.,
He was the first pioneer in the Poca District who
settled on the creek which was later named after him,
"Derrick's Creek" near Sissonville, WV.
Jonathan and Mary were members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and attended services in a log
building in Sissonville. They both died on the home
place, Jonathan in 1846 and Mary in 1852.
Jonathan and Mary HAYNES had thirteen known children,
the first seven born in Botetourt Co. VA.
1. Elizabeth 1804 d-after 1854 m-1827 to George A.
2. Mary 1805 -d-after 1877 m-1822 to Solomon Aultz.
3. Katherin 1807 d- by 1867 in Missouri, m-1825 to
4. John 1809 - 1877 m-1834 Katherin THOMAS SMITH.
5. Martha 1810 -1812
6. Rachel 1811 -1824
7. George 1812 m-ab1836 KY? to Emeline
8. Nancy 1814 d-after 1853 WI. m-ab 1843 Woodson
9. Andrew "Andy" 1816 -1894 m- 1837 Emily Katherin
JORDAN #2 in 1852 to Elizabeth Jane ARTHUR
10. Michael 1818 - 1880 m- 2/8/1844 Julia Ann DAWSON
11. Leroy 1822 -1852 never married
12. Agnes 1824 -1852 never married
13. Amanda Jane 1837 -1860? m-1845 to Jeremiah
MICHAEL DERRICK tenth child of Jonathan & Mary HAYNES
was born Feb. 2, 1818 died June 17, 1880 Kanawha Co.
WV., He married Julia Ann DAWSON b-Dec. 11, 1822
d-Oct. 19, 1895 Kanawha Co. WV. Julia was the
daughter of John R. Dawson and Nancy "Libby" SMITH.
Michael & Julia DAWSON Derrick were the parents of
1. Squire Wilson 1844-1910 m-1869 - Rachel Hero
2. Addison Brown 1846 -1965
3. Eletha Marium 1848 -1865
4. Adney Agness 1851-1908 m-1878 Emory Aultz #2 1890
to John W. Dawson
5. Elmina Malissa 1853 -1921 m-1874 Joseph B. Mairs.
6. Elmore Marion 1857- 1934 m-1878 to Sidney CLINTON a
nd second in 1883 Nancy E. HACKNEY
7. Franklin Lightburn 1860-1935 m-1892 Eunice Anna
Michael and wife Julia built on Derrick's Creek on
a elevated portion, which site his son Franklin L.
in later years rebuilt. Today, that is where the
Teasdale property is, (also a descendant), and where
the Derrick Family Cemetery property is, that was left
in JONATHAN DERRICK'S Will for the Derrick family.
ELMORE MARION DERRICK sixth child of Michael & Julia
was born near Sissonville, WV. on Derrick's Creek,
2/15/1857 and was married twice. First to Sidney
Catherin CLINTON, 2/24/1878 in Kanawha Co. then to
Nancy Ellen HACKNEY 8/29/1883, She was of Jackson Co.
WV. daughter of DAVID T. HACKNEY and Sarah Ann RAY.
ELMORE and Sidney CLINTON had one child.
1. Addison Clark 1879 - 1955 m-1900 to Minerva ASBURY.
ELMORE MARION DERRICK and Nancy E. HACKNEY had ten
1. Belva A. 1884 -1966 m-1902 James D. Baldwin.
2. Alba Letha 1886 m-1927 Amos Wesley Boice
3. William L. 1888 - 1972 m-1921 Bessie N. Tate #2
Lilly L. Holley in 1926.
4. Joseph W. 1890 -1976 m- 1926 to Vella Bell CARNEY.
5. Franklin L. 1892 -1935 never married
6. Melvin E. 1895 1949 m 1918 Ocie WITHROW
7. Ezra Island 1897 -1962 never married
8. Wilbur "Bee" 1899 -1951 never married
9. Estil R. 'Cotton" 1903 - 1982 never married
10. Albert Carr 1905 - 1937 never married
Elmore and several of his family are buried in the
Derrick Family Cemetery in Happy Hollow, off of Rt
21 near Sissonville.
JOSEPH WASHINGTON DERRICK fourth child of Elmore and
Nancy was born Feb. 22, 1890 and died 9/30/1976. He
was born and raised in the Sissonville area, married
Vella Bell CARNEY 8/26/1926. She was born in Liberty,
WV and had come to Charleston when she about 15 years
Joe and Vella had one child:
Marieda Mae Derrick born 1930 in Charleston WV.
married Russell L. Edens in 1949 there.
Submitted by: Marieda DERRICK Edens at mderoots @aol.com
Back to Kanawha County Family Data Sheets