|The WVGenWeb Project|
Edward L. Wood completed his education at Gallipolis, O., and then returned to his native county, locating at Charleston, W.Va., in 1869. He studied law under the supervision of Mollihan & Nash but before he was ready to apply for admission to the bar, other interests entered into the life and he never engaged in the actual practice this profession. On September 1, 1875 he was appointed state librarian and, as the legislature of West Virginia, in the following year, passed a law making the incumbent of this office also adjutant-general, Mr. Wood was called on to serve in both capacities. On November 1, 1881 he resigned his offices but was immediately reappointed adjutant-general and served some years longer when he retired somewhat from public life but was recalled when he was appointed sergeant-at-arms of the West Virginia Legislature on January 11, 1911. General Wood resides at No. 1520 Kanawha Street, Charleston. For some years he has been interested in the real estate business. January 28, 1880 he married Nannie T. Smith, daughter of Snelling Merideth and Elizabeth Stockton Trimble Smith, natives of this county. One child, Margaret L., is the fruit of this marriage.