|The WVGenWeb Project|
Having achieved the distinction of admittance to the National Register of Historic Places, the Spring Hill Cemetery and its adjoining private cemeteries, Mt. Olivet, Hebrew Cemetery, the Loewenstein Cemetery and Mountain View Cemetery, are monuments to the history and culture of Charleston and the Kanawha Valley.
Officially established as a municipal burial grounds in 1869 and used as early as 1818, the cemetery was not far behind the initial settling of Charleston in the late 1780's. Consequently, the cemetery is the burial grounds for many of the prominent early settlers and civic leaders of Charleston and Kanawha County.
The layout work was done by Thomas Matthius, a surveyor and the design of the cemetery is credited to A. J. Vosburgh, a civil engineer.
The cemetery abounds with markers and monuments of high quality construction and materials being particularly expressive of funerary symbolism and design.
Spring Hill Cemetery is divided into numerous editions and named for the people who sold them to the city of Charleston. The different editions are as follows:
Old Circle, Spring Hill, Jeffries, Jeffries-Riggs, Hall & Edmund (aka Walls), Swann, Wehrle, Capito, Scruggs, Woods and the Mausoleum. All of the above named additions have different sections in them, for example Old Circle has Old Circle, Section 1 through Old Circle, Section 25 and the Spring Hill Edition has Spring Hill Edition, Section 1 through Spring Hill Edition, Section 52.
Submitted for your benefit by Rose Peterson