Beginning June 1, 2001, an active study will be undertaken to determine interest in a new genealogical and historical society covering the West Virginia counties through which the Midland Trail Scenic Highway passes. While there are a number of wonderful societies within the covered area, WVMTGS will provide a unique opportunity to bring it all together under one roof.
The purpose of WVMTGS will be to:
- Promote genealogical and historical research of all types.
- Encourage and develop the skills of member genealogists.
- Locate, preserve, and make available local, private, and public records of genealogical and historical value.
- Maintain a library and publish materials of genealogical value, including publication on the internet.
- Work with and support other genealogical societies and libraries in Greenbrier, Fayette, Kanawha, Putnam, Cabell, and Wayne counties in WV, as well as Allgehany County, VA and Boyd County, KY.
- Provide special assistance with African-American and Native American research.
Once formed, WVMTGS will adopt a set of bylaws, choose officers, and establish specific goals which should include:
- Incorporation in the state of West Virginia as a non-profit organization as soon as possible.
- Conducting regular meetings, hopefully in Malden, but possibly in the other counties as well.
- Hosting genealogical speakers, publishing a newsletter, hosting a website, and maintaining a library.
If you would like to be a part of this new venture, won’t you please get in touch and help make the W.Va. Midland Trail Genealogical Society a reality.
2614 Furlong Ave.
St. Albans, WV 25177