Hamilton House Museum
Located on the western edge of town of Summersville, the 1893 farm house of a prominent Nicholas County family now serves
as a historical museum and genealogical library. It was built by Martin Hamilton on 67 acres of land when Summersville
was a small agricultural town of approximately 200 inhabitants. In 1987 it was deeded by the heirs to the society and
subsequently restored. On July 2, 1988, the Hamilton House was dedicated to the preservation of our Nicholas County heritage.
It has since served as a headquarters museum with collections and furnishings reflecting the life of the average Nicholas
County family at the turn of the century.
The one-room schoolhouse, which served as the Irish Corner School, 1915-1954, is similar to more than 100 others of its kind
in Nicholas County in the early 1900’s.In 1984, it was deeded to the Nicholas County Historical & Genealogiical Society by the Draper McClung heirs. It was then moved to the Nicholas County Veterans Memorial Park on Rt. 19 and restored by volunteers from the society, the Nicholas County Assoc.
of Retired School Employees and others.
Nicholas County Historical