Generation No. 1
1. DAVID4 MARTIN (JOSEPH3, JOB2, SAMUEL SR1)1,2,3,4,5,6 was born 1821 in Fayette Co. WV. He married (1) NANCY JANE FOX October 22, 1846 in Fayette Co. WV, daughter of JOHN FOX and LUCINDA. She was born 1827 in Virginia, and died 1848 in Fayette Co. WV. He married (2) MARY ANN COMER October 25, 1849 in Fayette Co. WV. She was born 1826 in Virginia, and died in Fayette Co. WV.
Notes for DAVID MARTIN:
1850 Fayette Co., WV census
David age 29 farmer b Va
Mary age 23 bVa
L E age 3 b Va
1860 Fayette Co., WV census-house 362
David Martin age 36-farmer-b Va
Polly age 30 b Va
Joseph age 10 b Va
Elizabeth age 13 b VA
Henry age 8 b Va
Marion age 6 b Va
Infant (male) age 7/12 b Va
1870 Fayette Co., WV census mt Cove house 20
David Martin age 51 farmer b Va
Polly A age 42
Joseph age 19
John H age 17
Mary C age 16
James M age 15
David R age 12
Andrew J age 8
Nancy M age 5
Robert F age 6mos
Child of DAVID MARTIN and NANCY FOX is:
3. iii. JOHN HENRY MARTIN, b. 1853, Fayette Co. WV.
4. iv. MARY C MARTIN, b. 1854, Fayette Co. WV.
5. v. JAMES MARION MARTIN, b. November 17, 1856, Fayette Co., West Virginia; d. July 23, 1924, Nicholas Co., West Virginia.
vi. DAVID R MARTIN, b. 1859, Fayette Co., West Virginia.
6. vii. ANDREW JACKSON MARTIN, b. 1862, Fayette Co. WV; d. March 04, 1933, Nicholas Co., West Virginia.
viii. NANCY MARGARET MARTIN8, b. 1865, Fayette Co. WV; m. WILLIAM GREEN, June 29, 1882, Nicholas Co., WV; b. 1862, Jackson Co., WV.
7. ix. ROBERT FLORA MARTIN, b. 1870, Fayette Co. WV.
x. MARTHA ELLEN MARTIN9,10,
b. January 1872, Fayette Co. WV; m. MORGAN
NEWMAN COX, August 31, 1887, Nicholas Co., WV; b. 1867, Nicholas Co., WV.
2. JOSEPH AUGUSTUS5 MARTIN (DAVID4, JOSEPH3, JOB2, SAMUEL SR1)11,12,13 was born 1851 in Fayette Co. WV. He married (1) MARY SUSAN MATHENY April 26, 1877 in Nicholas Co., WV. She was born 1858 in Botetourt Co., Va., and died January 1880 in Nicholas Co., WV. He married (2) MARY DONELSON November 22, 1888 in Nicholas Co., WV. She was born 1866 in Nicholas Co., WV.
Notes for JOSEPH AUGUSTUS MARTIN:
submitted by: Brenda Dillon email@example.com
Recorded in Nicholas County, West Virginia
Deed Book 30 Page #22
State of West Virginia, Nicholas County Court Clerk's Office, March 26, 1896 This deed from David Martin wife to Michael Taylor Jr. was this day presented in this office together with the certificate _______ admitted to record.
Testor : John A. Hamilton, clerk
This deed made this 16th day of November 1891 between James Donelson and Catherine Donelson, his wife, Fidella D. Collins and Richard Collins, her husband, and Frankling S. Donelson, Elizabeth A. Cox, William T Cox, her husband and, Abraham S. Donelson and Ruth G.L.Donelson of Nicholas County,
State of West Virginia of the first part, and A.J.Martin of foresaid county and State of the second part witnesseth that for and in consideration of the maintenance and support of foresaid, James Donelson and Catherine Donelson, his wife the consideration is that said James and Catherine Donelson are to
live on the land now owned by said A.J. Martin and are to have a separate house adjacent to his residence if desired the house to be comfortably furnished and that the aforesaid A.J.Martin is to board and to clothe and furnish all medical treatment that is necessary and properly care for the foresaid James and Catherine Donelson in sickness and in health during both their natural lives and said A.J.Martin _______his real estate to fully comply with the foresaid consideration and a lien is retained in this deed on the real estate of James Donelson and Catherine Donelson, his wife for their support during their natural lifetimes and in consideration of the full compliance with the foregoing contract the parties of this first part doth grant unto the party of the second part with ________ of general warranty the following described tract or parcel of land lying and being in Beaver district, Nicholas County, West Virginia on Gaulley Cliff joining the land of Henry Donelson, James Brown, and others being the land conveyed by H.B.Donelson to Catherine Donelson and her heirs by James Donelson by deed
said deed is recorded in the county clerks office when a full local description can be seen. Said tract containing 51 acres more or less and on complying with the within terms said A.J.Martin of the second part to have and to hold with it's app________forever.
Witness the following signatures and seals
James X Donelson (seal)
Catherine X Donelson (seal )
FrankX Donelson (seal)
Ruth G.L.Donelson (seal)
State of West Virginia Nicholas County to witt:
I Wm J.F. Callison a notary public in and foresaid county and state do certify that James Donelson and Catherine Donelson, his wife, Wm T. Cox and E.A. Cox, his wife and A.S. Donelson whose names are signed to this writing above being dated on this 16th day of November 1891 have this day
acknowledged this same before me in said county, Given under my hand this the 16th day of November 1891
Wm. J.F.Callison, Notary public
State of West Virginia, Fayette County to witt: December 18, 1891
J.G.___Blums, Notary Public in and for the county of Fayette, State foresaid do certify that Frank Donelson party whose name is signed to the foregoing deed dated 16th November 1891 acknowledged the same before me in my county aforesaid
Recorded in Nicholas County Deed Book 30 Page 513
The sum before me in my said county. Given under my hand this 25th day of June 1894
Signed A. J. Groves Jr.
State of West Virginia Nicholas County Court of Clerks Office April 1, 1897
This deed from Lydia A. Morrison, ___ to Alice A. Kootz was this day presented in this office together with the certificate _____admitted to record
Tested, John A.
This deed made this the 23rd day of February 1897 between A.J.Martin, and Eliza H. Martin, his wife of the first part and Catherine Donelson, Fidella D. Collins and Richard Collinss, her husband, Franklin S. Donelson, Elizabeth Cox and William Cox, her husband, Abraham Donelson and Ruth G.L.Donelson of second part, Witnesseth: that for and in consideration, that the parties of the second part release the said A.J.Martin from the performance of any and all the provisions contained in the deed executed by
the parties of the second part to the said A.J.Martin, dated November the 16th 1891 and recorded in the office of the clerk of this county Court of Nicholas County, West Virginia in deed book # 30 on page 22 and a further consideration that parties of the second part release the lien on the tract of land owned by the said A.J. Martin.Named in the foresaid deed for the preforanance of the conditions named therein and the parties of the second partjointly and ______releasethe said A.J.Martin from liability that may have arisen by _____of his failure to perform any part of the aforesaid provisions in the deed named and execution of this deed is in full satisfaction for everything acquired by him and the parties of the second
part, Join in this deed for the purpose of releasing the said Martin from said obligations on any liability that any have ______ _______ Now therefore the parties of the first part for and in consideration of the promise aforesaid Do Grant James Donelson a certain tract on parcel of land lying in Beaver district, Nicholas County,West Virginai on the Cliff's of Gaulley adjoining the land of Henry B. Donelson,
James Brown,and others. This being the land conveyed by H.B.Donelson to Catherine Donelson and her hiers by James Donelson, containing 51 acres , more or less, being the same tract of land conveyed to A. J. Martin from parties of the second part by deed dated November 16, 1891 and recorded in deed book 30 on page 22 in this office of the Clerk of county court of said county.
Witness the following Signatures and seals.
A.J.Martin ( seal); Eliza Martin (seal); Catherine X Donelson( seal); James
X Donelson(seal); Elizabeth Cox(seal); Wm T. Cox(seal); A. S.L. donelson
(seal); Franklin S. X Donelson(seal)
State of West Virginia
Nicholas County to Witt:
I Wm J.F. Callison a notary in and for said county and state do certify that A. J> Martin, Eliza H. Martin, his wife, Catherine Donelason, James Donelson her husband, A. S. Donelson, R G. L. Donelson whose names are signed to this writing above being dated on the 23 day of February 1897 have this day
acknowledged the same before me in this same county.
Given under my hand this day the 6th of March 1897
Wm J. F. Callison, Notary
Notes for MARY SUSAN MATHENY:
Mary has probably died just before the 1880 Nicholas Co census. She is not on it. Her youngest son is 4 months old at the time of census.
Children of JOSEPH MARTIN and MARY MATHENY are:
ii. JOSEPH RUSSELL MARTIN,
b. January 11, 1880, Beaver Mills, Nicholas Co., WV14;
d. December 31, 1951, Richwood, Nicholas Co., West Virginia.
Children of JOHN MARTIN and JENETTTE MATHENY are:
ii. LUTHER MARTIN, b. 1878.
iii. WALTER MARTIN, b. 1880.
Child of MARY MARTIN and GEROGE SPARKS is:
Child of JAMES MARTIN and NANCY FARREN is:
Children of ANDREW MARTIN and ELIZA TAYLOR are:
ii. PANSY G MARTIN, b. 1890, Nicholas Co., West Virginia.
Notes for PANSY G MARTIN:
Nicholas Co., WV deaths vol
1931/1951. william Herbert Music died 31 Jan 1931, b Nicholas Co., died
Beaver Dist. of gun shot wound, age 35y 7m 25d. Loader/skidder, consort
Child of ROBERT MARTIN and ELDORA BROWN is:
1. Fayette Co., Wv Entry Book 1837/61-David Martin, page 107, By virtue of a part of Land Office Treasury Warrant for 190 Acres 18degrees 18.829, assignee of George Alderson who was a aassigne of George Loomis enters 100 Acres of land and Fayette Co on New River, joining as entry made by J.L. Blume and Sam'l Tyree below said entry including best land and lumber. 8 March 1853.
2. Fayette Co., Wv Entry Book 1837/61-David Martin, page 107, By virtue of land office Treasury Exchange Warrent for 1000 Acres No 4097, asignee of Harvey Handley who was assigne of J.C. Warren assigne of Jonathan Rumford who was assigne of Josiah Adams. Enters 100 Acres in Fayette Co., joining land of John Rogers and Robert Holliday and Isaac Reynolds. 8 March 1853.
3. 1850 Fayette co., WV census-David Martin, house 55.
4. 1870 Fayette Co., WV census-David Martin, Mt Cove Dist. house 20.
5. 1880 Nicholas Co., WV census-David Martin, Hamilton Dist. house H034.
6. 1860 Fayette co., WV census-David Martin, house 362.
7. Fayette Co., WV marriages-Lucinda E Martin, vol 1865-1886 page 7 line 62.
8. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Nancy Margaret Martin.
9. Fayette Co., WV births-Martha Martin, vol 1 page 62, born Chestnutburg, Fayette co., WV.
10. Nicholas Co., WV marriages--Martha Ellen Martin, He born Nicholas co., she born Fayette Co.
11. 1860 Fayette co., WV census-Joseph Martin, house 362, l/w parents.
12. 1880 Nicholas Co., WV census-Joseph A Martin, Hamilton dist. house H034, l/w parents. David and Mary Martin.
13. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Joseph A Martin, He born Fayette Co., she Nicholas Co.
14. Nicholas Co., WV deaths-Joseph Russell Martin, vol. 1952/1963. died Richwood Hospital 31 Dec 1951,b Beaver Mills 11 Jan 1880,s/o Joe and Mary Susan Matheny Martin, info Mrs Earl Martin, age 71y 13m.
15. 1880 Nicholas Co., WV census-John Henry Martin, Hamilton dist house 24.
16. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-John Henry Martin, He born Fayette Co., she born Botetourt Co.
17. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Mary C Martin.
18. Nicholas Co., WV deaths-James Marion Martin, vol. 1905/1930. born Richwood, age 68y 8m 5d, Info Henry Martin. James went by Marion.
19. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-James Marion Martin, He born Fayette Co., she born Greenbrier Co.
20. Nicholas Co., WV deaths-John Henry Martin, vol 1952/1963. died Cottle, b 3 July 1879, married, age 72y 1m 9d, carpenter, s/o Marion Martin and Nancy Farren, d 12 Aug 1951, heart block, buried Fleming Cemetery 8-15-1951, info Weaver Martin.
21. 1920 Nicholas Co., WV census-Andrew J. Martin, vol 38, ed 103, st 10, line 36. Andrew J age 58, eliza H age 56, William N age 34, Pansy G (female) age 30.
22. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Andrew Jackson Martin, born Fayette Co, Mary Green b Jackson Co.
23. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Andrew Jackson Martin, He b Fayette Co Eliza b Nicholas Co.
24. Nicholas Co., WV deaths-Andrew Jackson Martin, vol. 1931/1951. died Beaver Dist., b WV, age 70y 11m 26 d, Eliza wifw, info Newell Martin.
25. Nicholas Co., WV marriages-Robert Flora Martin, he born Fayette Co. she born Nicholas.
26. Nicholas WV deaths-Lawrence L Martin, vol. 1952/1963, married, b 7-5-1894, 66y, b WV, s/o Robert & eldora Brown Martin, d 11 March 1961, b Craigsville Cem.