|WVGenWeb Genealogy Research|
These pictures were contributed to WVGenWeb by Craig Shultz. Photographs Copyright © 2003 by Craig Schulz.
Photographs of 1901 flood in Marlinton
The Greenbrier River
and Knapps Creek caused flooding in Marlinton December 15, 1901. You
can see the roof of the covered bridge that once spanned the Greenbrier
River to Main Street. The building to the right was the Hotel Marlinton,
and was located on the site of the future Pocahontas Memorial Hospital
(the hospital is no longer located there either). According to a Pocahontas
Times article with similar photo published December 20, 2001 Second
Section Page 2, the hotel was built in 1882 by Capt. J. R. Apperson
and was probably the first business in what became the Marlinton downtown.
The hotel's next owner, Mrs. Jennie B. Skiles (1886), was responsible
for changing the name of the town from Marlin's Bottom to Marlinton.
On September 15, 1902 the hotel was destroyed by fire. The above picture
has been enhanced with special effects and is not entirely accurate.
Originally posted on 05/01/2002
Pocahontas County WVGenWeb
Copyright © 2008 by Barbara Gramp