ST. ANN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The beginning of an Episcopal church in New Martinsville was on June 15, 1851 when a
service was held in the courthouse and a church was organized to be known as “Wetzel
Parish”. In October, 1851, the parish united with the Northwestern Convocation and chose
the name of St. Paul’s for their church. In 1854 a church building was erected. The church
died out in the 1860’s and the building was lost through debt but the church was reorganized
in 1874. In 1882 a new church building was completed at a cost of $865. The chancel
furniture, for the new building was a present from the Rector, who asked the privilege of
naming the new church; this was granted, and it was called “St. Ann”s”. In the early part
of 1884, the services had to be suspended because of inclement weather and high water. The
flood reached the eaves of the church and considerable damage was done, but the building was
thoroughly cleaned and ready for services the first Sunday in March. In February, 1886, the
stove was removed to the cellar and converted into a hot-air furnace, adding much to the
room and comfort of the church. Early in the summer of 1895 the rectory was begun, and was
ready to be occupied by the first of September. The house was a very creditable building,
costing nearly $1,900. During the summer of 1898 several rooms were papered, which added
much to the beauty of the house. In 1902 the present Church plant was completed.
The original Church building completed in 1882 is a present part of the Parish House at St.
Ann’s. The rectory was built in 1895 and is the present home of the vicar, the Rev. George
R. Pruitt, Jr. The Church building completed in 1902 is still in use as the main building of the
congregation. During the years the services at St. Ann’s have been both active and inactive.
Starting about 20 years ago when the Rev. Walter J. Mycoff, Sr. came as vicar through the
present vicar, St. Ann’s has enjoyed being able to have a full time clergyman.