ST. JOHNíS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784, but the controversy over slavery
caused a secession of a Southern group in 1843, and this group became known as the
Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1844. In 1856, a small group of people organized a
congregation of this Southern branch in New Martinsville, W. Va. which was to become what
we know today as St. Johnís United Methodist Church.
The charter members of St. Johnís consisted of only two families.... Mr and Mrs Leonard S.
Hall and Mr and Mrs Josiah Boyer and their two daughters, Alcinda and Susan. In the early
days the church was part of a circuit, but by 1869, St. Johnís was assigned a pastor of its
own, and has been so supplied since that time.
Services were originally held in the Methodist Episcopal Church on Main Street, known as
ďOld BrickĒ. The people of St. Johnís began construction on a church of their own in
1880, and it was dedicated by the presiding minister, the Reverend J. H. Jackson, in 1881. The
first parsonage was built during the 1897-1900 pastorate of the Reverend J. M. Carter.
Growth of the church was rapid, and by 1909, a cornerstone was laid for a new church on the
site of the present church. Many changes have taken place at St. Johnís in the intervening
years. Most notable of these are a large addition to the church in 1958, the building of a new
parsonage in 1966, an extensive remodeling of the sanctuary, completed in 1970, and the
addition of a fire escape in 1976. During this Bicentennial year, St. Johnís completes 120
years of serving the religious needs of its congregation.