Coburn is located at the head of North Willey Fork and was well settled by the year 1880. Many families came from Greene County, PA. There was, of course, a one-room school and general store with the mail being delivered to the store. Early teachers at the school were Paul Hilbert, Dee Brookover and Frank Smith. This school was located at the forks of Morgan Run and N. Willey Fork. Later it became a two room school and existed until the late 1940's.
The first general store was owned by Lit Ice and was built along the road by the Minor Six farm. Later Lewis Willey had a grocery store about one half mile east of the school which he owned until his death in 1905.
James Higginbotham was an early settler of the area. His father, William, settled in Burchfield. James first married Jemima Price and second Mahala Wyatt. He owned 200 acres of land built furniture and coffins and had a sawmill on the farm.
Daniel Gump owned a farm and had a grist mill. He married Nancy Jane Higginbotham, daughter of James and Jemima.
The following families also lived and farmed in the Coburn area. Albert Gump and wife Levina Six, Solomon Gump and wife Lucinda Hinerman, Eban Ice and wife Carrie Byard, Paul Holbert and wife Annie Ice, and John W. Lowe and wife Rachel Higginbotham.
Jesse Hinerman came from PA with his wife Phoebe Yoder and settled here. Other settlers were: Samuel Potts and wife Rebecca Garrett, William Potts and wife Virginia Miller, Festus Yost and wife Elizabeth Gump, Newton Hibbs and wife Elizabeth Potts, William B. Lowe and wife Sereniath Gump, James Bradley and wife Nancy Hibbs and Tom Bradley and wife Anna Glasscock.
Other families from the Coburn area were Wilson Hinerman, Tom Hinerman Harve Hinerman and Samuel Hinerman, all sons of Jesse and Phoebe Hinerman, Jacob Myers, William Henthorn, Leroy Taylor and Ace Haught also raised families here.
There are three cemeteries for Coburn namely the Yost and Carpenter on Hinerman Ridge and the Lowe-Higginbotham.
Myers Chapel Church, although located on the Marion County line was the church for most of the Coburn families. The land on which the church is located was donated by Jacob Myers.
by Patricia Papik
Source: History of Wetzel County, West Virginia 1983