Researched and compiled by Christine Cunningham Mitchell.
History of Shortline Area Schools
There were many elementary schools that served
the Shortline at one time or another…some are still standing and
others were torn down or are just piles of old lumber filled with
the echoes that Mr. Hyde mentioned. The list of historical schools
may seem very large today, but one has to remember that the kids had
to be able to walk to the school, so there were many dotting the
county. A list compiled using 3 different lists provided by the
Wetzel County Board of Education – one from 1933, one signed by
Herman Bradley, and one after the construction of the Wetzel County
Career Center in 1978 – as well as a site on the internet,
http://geonames.usgs.gov/ and a list from 1952 that was recently
published in the Wetzel Chronicle’s "A Peek Into The Past" results
in a total of 175 schools in Wetzel County on record. Following is a
list showing that out of those 175, there are 74 Shortline schools,
with most of them being Grade Schools. A book of West Virginia data
and statistics dated 1904 and belonging to William Carlin of
Smithfield, listed all of the teachers in Wetzel County, as well as
the members of the Board of Education. There were a total of 160
teachers, with approximately 33-36 of them being Shortline teachers.
Familiar surnames of those teachers included Morgan, McGinnis,
Schamp, Shreve, Snodgrass, Starkey, Haught, Kiger, Stewart, Tuttle,
and Wilson. Shortline representatives holding the position of
Superintendents of the Schools included J. U. Morgan, Grant
District, 1879-83 and C.A. McAllister, Green District, 1887-89.
Dennis B. Ice, Smithfield, held a position on the County School Book
Board. At that time each district, Center, Church, Clay, Magnolia,
Proctor, Grant and Green each had a Board of Education. Grant’s was
comprised of T.A. Holbert, Pres., Pine Grove; O. P. McIntire, Com.,
Smithfield; S. J. Kilcoyne, Com., Mobley; and D. B. Ice, Sec’y,
Porters Falls. Green’s roster was L. P. Kocher, Pres., Porters
Falls; E. E. Cross, Com., Vincen; Ben Martin, Com., Porters Falls;
and E. F. Morgan, Sec’y, Porters Falls.
The following information was gathered from the History of Wetzel County, West Virginia, 1983; the History of Wetzel County, West Virginia, 1901; and by talking to several people who shared memories or personal experiences as students or teachers at the various schools along the Shortline—there are sure to be some mistakes or discrepancies as nobody interviewed had anything, other than pictures, documented—and just like the "old gray mare"…our memories "just ain’t what they used to be". Many readers will learn about the past education of their ancestors and others will simply enjoy the trip down memory lane.
Allister School was located up Reader’s Run on Ashland Ridge, also called Allister or McAllister Ridge, near the Van Dyne home before the road starts down into Shenango. Glenn Gainer, born in 1907, was the last teacher to teach there, in 1943-44. He also attended as a student and had Hettie Van Dyne as a teacher in 1918. The school was torn down. Gainer also taught at Mt. Morris, Blenn’s Run, Eight Mile Ridge and Piney. He entered the service in 1943 and was killed in 1945 during WWII. His son, Howard, provided several of the school photos for this article.
Anderson Public School used to set
near the cemetery and creek on Lydle Martin's farm in Jacksonburg.
An old school souvenir card of 1905 lists it as being located in
Grant District and has a list of several children with the last
names of Stoneking, Anderson, Gorby and Wyatt. . A man by the name
of Rich Anderson pulled the school by oxen up to where Lydle’s barn
is now and made it part of the barn.
Arch’s (or Archer’s) School – This
school, also called the Dogtown School by the locals, was situated
about 4-6 miles up Arche’s Fork in Smithfield. It housed grades 1st
through 8th in the early 1900s and closed sometime in the 1950s. It
was a two-room school that had unique roll-away doors that could be
used as a divider or raised to allow the students to study in the
same room. A log home is now standing in the original location. Bob
Johnson was a teacher there for nine years. He was born in 1910 and
attended West Liberty Normal School immediately after graduating and
soon received a teaching certificate and began a 37 ½ year teaching
career that included time at Bane, Dogtown, Fallen Timber,
Pricetown, Folsom, and Steelton, where he was Principal. He achieved
a Masters Degree during this time. After retiring in 1966 he went to
work as Postmaster for the Smithfield Post Office and held that
position until 1982 when his health forced him to finally retire.
Atwood School was actually called the
Border School at Atwood because it sat on the Wetzel and Tyler
County lines on Eight Mile Ridge. The counties took a turn every two
years providing the school teachers, which included Wetzel employees
Roy Minor, Opal Minor, Okey Long, Ralph Conley, and Dick Holman; and
Tyler employees T. M. Lemasters, Mary Lemasters, and Wilma Fisher.
In 1949, Tyler County took full responsibilities for providing the
staff. The school closed around 1955. The building is still
Bane School was located on the bank
across the road from the mouth of Arch’s Fork. It was attended by
children in grades 1st through 8th in the early 1900s. The 7th and
8th grades were sent to Smithfield High around 1940 and the lower
grades remained at Bane. It stood up on the hill behind the Shuman
residence (later the Mason home and Esso Station).
Barker Run School – It was in
operation in 1920s and 1930s and was located at the turn off North
Fork road onto Barker Road where the Tennant home is now located. It
was a one room school with all eight grades attending. The school
had an attendance of about 30 pupils. Teachers included Vera Mae
Snyder, Thelma Fankhouser, Mary Postlethwait, Bonnie Jean Morrison
and Virginia Monger. It closed in 1934. Frank Postlethwait bought
the building and converted it into a house. David and Janie
Beckett’s home is located on what was once the playground.
Bear Wallow School - This school was
located farther out Lowman Ridge towards Upper Run or Mockingbird
Hill. It was closed before the mid to late 1920s. Bear Wallow was
also used as a church at one time with John Kendall preaching.
Big Run School - It was located across
from the Big Run P.O. near the Leasure home. It housed grades 1st
through 8th and was in operation in the 1920s through the 1950s.
Pupils were taught reading, writing, spelling, math, geography,
history, civics, West Virginia history, and health. On completion of
the eighth grade, students were required to take a two day test on
all subjects and would receive a diploma upon passing the test.
Teachers included Harry Taylor, Ray Shreve, Jimmy Haught, Harvey
Haught, Leroy Roberts, Savannah Pratt, Claude Derby, Russ Fisher,
Bud Willey and Milt Rice. The children were first taught out of the
Primer, and students who attended Big Run fondly remember a story
about Baby Ray and his little dog. The children had to catch a bus
and ride to Pine Grove for 9th through 12th grades. Families
attending Big Run included the Potts, Lockes, Dulaneys, Willeys,
Utts, Morris, Wagner, McDiffitts, Shreves, Rices, Myers, Barrs and
Big Woods School – This was a very old
school near Allister School. It sat on a point behind the Van Dyne
home past Carl Brigg’s house. Ransel Morgan was a teacher in 1915.
He was supposed to have taught at both Morgan Ridge and Big Woods
Blenn Run School - Glenn Gainer was a
teacher at Blenn’s Run. This is down over the hill from Ashland
Ridge. The Board of Education, along with many locals, also referred
to this school as Bland’s Run.
Brink School - This school is actually
slightly over the Wetzel County line into Marion County, but several
Wetzel County students, such as those from the far end of Lowman
Ridge, attended Brink.
Buffalo Run School was up in the head
of Buffalo Run out from Jacksonburg before you cross the bridge to
go up Bob Campbell hill towards Indian creek. After attending
Morgantown Normal School, Lillie Anderson taught at Buffalo Run
School somewhere around 1916-1920 while she roomed at Aunt "Pet"
Hayes home. Some people can recall attending the school as late as
1936 and having Olabelle Wright and Dan King as teachers. The
building is still standing but has been converted into a home.
Buzzard’s Glory – This is the same as
the McKimmie Ridge School. The building burned down.
Burchfield – This school was located
past Kingstown on North Fork road in the community of Burchfield.
Etta Haught taught here in 1924-30 and then again from 1951-53. It
was in operation until about 1953. Etta Haught Beckley, born June 7
of 1906, can still recall her entire teaching career in the
Shortline area schools: after leaving Burchfield in 1930, she taught
1st grade at Pine Grove from 1930 to 1951 and then returned to
Burchfield until 1953 when it closed operations. She then taught for
the 1953-54 school year at Four Mile School, the 1954-55 year at
Mobley School and then moved onto Harrison County to teach at
Wallace from 1955-59, Brown for the 1959-60 year, and back to
Wallace for two more years. She then moved to Paden City and taught
1st grade for four years and also at Tyler County to teach a
combination class of 1st-2nd-3rd grades. She retired in 1967 after a
43 year teaching career. She resides in Paden City and fondly
recalls the time she spent as a teacher.
Chiselfinger Ridge School was on top
of the hill overlooking Porter’s Falls, Chiselfinger Ridge, and
stood on the knoll behind the Elson homestead. It was in operation
in the early 1900s and was torn down in 1945-46. Teachers included
Ross Ice, Zackwell Cochran, and Ira Merritt.
Coburn School was in operation in the
1920s. It was also referred to as Morgan’s Run School because
it was located at the forks of Morgan Run and North Willey Fork.
Early teachers at the one room school were Paul Holbert, Dee
Brookover and Frank Smith. Later it became a two room school and
existed until the late 1940s. Harvey and Howard Haught were also
teachers here. It was still standing in 1987 and was a private home.
Criswell School was located at the top
of Barker Road on what is now referred to as the Hoyt, but is
actually Criswell Ridge. Student families, including the Yohos and
Rush’s, attended during the 1920s and 1940s. It was a one room
school with one teacher. Vic Arman of Hannibal, OH taught there in
1930 for one year. Mr. Arman, now 94 years old, provided the picture
that shows the interior of the school and the big pot bellied stove
in the corner. He was able to recall the names of the children after
72 years, which is a good example of the special bond a teacher
often forms with their students. Lula Dulaney, Ray Hawkins, Claude
Derby, and Rosie Sidell were also teachers. It closed sometime after
Crows Run School was located up Crows
Run on property belonging to Austie Furbee (who was a bus driver for
the Shortline area for many years) across from what is now Harm
Brown’s home. Children attended 1st through 8th grades there. Frank
Cochran and Oran Gray taught there. It was in operation during the
1930s and 1940s.
Deadfall – This school was built in
the 1930s and is located past Pricetown and up Ten Mile and Dead
Falls Road. The building is still there and is used by a group from
Ohio as a hunting camp. Teachers included Gypsy Scott, Ida Wyatt,
Florence Edgell, Bob Reppard, Leo Ash, Donna Talkington and Russell
Fisher. It housed grades 1st through 6th. It closed in the early
1950s. Families attending included Liggetts, Barkers, Kuhens,
Hayhursts, and the Duncans. There was another school located in
Deadfall in the late 1800s. "Cap" Freeland is remembered as having
taught at the earlier school.
Eight Mile Ridge - This was located
near the Eight Mile Church of Christ, which is still standing and in
use. It was in operation in the late 1800s until the mid 1950s. A
tornado went through the area in the ‘50s and destroyed most of the
building, so the church members tore it down. It housed grades 1st
through 8th and teachers included Glenn Gainer, Evelyn Milburn
Postlethwait, Frank Cochran, and Joy Headley.
Elm Grove – It was located about
midway between Mobley and Kingstown, near where the road leading to
Richwood and Jacksonburg turns off. It operated in the early 1900s
and probably closed in the mid 1920s when the Mobley School opened.
Many members of the Brewer family attended this school. It is still
standing and is privately owned.
Fairview – This school was located at
the top of Fallen Timber on the road that links Fallen Timber with
Richwood Run at the community of Fairview. The picture donated by
Nelson Hostuttler, was probably taken sometime around 1910. Families
attending included the Hostuttlers, Lemasters, Kerns, Morrises,
Mayfields, and Francises. Mr. Morgan was the teacher in the early
Fallen Timber School – There were two
schools at Fallen Timber. The first one was located near Frank Ice’s
home and the current home of Kenny and Sandy Dallison. It had grades
1st through 8th and was attended by students in the very early
1900s. The second school was built near the Newt Fisher home and was
in operation in the 1920s through the 1950s. Teachers for Grades 1st
through 8th included Billy Eastham, Dan King, Russ Fisher, Thelma
Swartz, Max Edgell, Gilbert Moore, Red Snodgrass, Robert Johnston,
Madeline Shreve, Florence Starkey and Don Dennison. It is still
standing and currently being used for hay storage.
Fire Break School – It was located on
Lowman Ridge on the Lowman Ridge School and Bear Wallow School end
of the ridge and existed until the 1920s. It was referred to as the
"Fire Break School" because a nearby house had burned and the people
cleared the land around the area of the school to create a firebreak
to help stop any potential school fire.
Folsom School - The old school in
Folsom stood in the center of town across the road from G. C.
Wallace’s store. It housed grades 1st through 8th and J. L. Roberts
was the principal and teacher followed by E. Ross "Red" Snodgrass.
It closed operations in 1921 when the newer brick building was
built, and was later torn down in 1952. It was used for a time as a
feed store by for G. C. Wallace’s store. The new school was built in
1921, according to the cornerstone, and held 1st through 9th, 10th
or 11th grades (some people recall the last grade as being the 9th,
others recall the 10th or 11th as being the highest grade attended
at Folsom). The students attended until 9th grade or later and then
caught a train to Smithfield or Wallace for the remaining upper
grades. The principal in 1921 was Leroy Fauss and teachers included
Lorna Warfield, Betty White, and Miss Lemasters. Workers on the
building were paid a wage of $2.00 per day for general labor and
$12.00 per day for bricklaying. The upper grades were moved to
Smithfield sometime before 1943 and the 7th & 8th grades moved to
Smithfield in either 1946 or 1945. It continued to house 1st through
6th grade, but eventually the kids were all moved to Smithfield and
Folsom school was closed for good after the 1962-63 school year.
Ross Snodgrass was the principal at the time of closing. Teachers
were Madeline Carlin, Florence Edgell, Geneva Shreve, Ross
Snodgrass, J.L. Roberts, Gypsy Scott, Lillian Booher, Mrs. Stuter,
June Lambert, Bill Higgins, and Ruth Hood. The building still stands
and was purchased by Sam Lively in 1968. At one time, there must
have been organized sports teams because people remember the mascot
as being the Bobcats or Wildcats.
Four Mile – This school is located
past Barker in the community of Four Mile. Students attended from
the early 1900s until the late 1950s. Teachers included Harvey
Haught, Tincey Haught, Dick Holman, Doris Holman and Etta Haught. It
was a two room school that held grades 1st through 8th. The building
is still standing, and like many other old schools, is being used
for hay storage.
Gilbert and Hickory Knob Schools – Hickory Knob School was up on Lowman Ridge close to where it connects to Brink. It held 1st through 8th grades in the very early 1900s. Russell Fisher taught at Hickory Knob from 1938-40 and 1944-46. Memories of the annual picnic at Hickory Knob School were recalled by Glenn and Margaret Gilbert in the 1983 History of Wetzel County: "Coming to Smithfield on St. Rt. 20, County road 21 goes northeast via Smith Street and ends in Mannington. Maps show Bear Run and Route 1 at the eastern end of town. At this point, the road leads to Gilbert Ridge. About 200 yards up Bear Run is a branch road leading up the hill. The distance from Smithfield to Hickory Knob is about six miles. This was the main artery to town for both farmers and oil company workers. The community was blessed with two schools, one at each end of Gilbert Ridge. Both one room buildings had a capacity of thirty students in grades one through eight. My grandfather, Charles Alexander Gilbert, donated land for the school which was erected about 100 yards from my home where I grew up. It was originally named "Lone Oak School", but later renamed because of the number of Gilberts attending. The building is gone, but the giant oak is still standing. The second school, called Hickory Knob, was three miles north of the Gilbert School. It has since been removed. It was the same size as the Gilbert School. Some of the teachers at the Gilbert School were Bernice Cozart, Bob Reppard, and Maxine Showalter".
Hastings - The community of Hastings
at one time also had a Grade School. The homes at Hastings were
built around 1914 and the school was built a few years later. It was
located on Hastings Hill where all of the Hope Gas Company houses
were built. Upon opening it was only for 1st and 2nd grades, but
later 3rd was added and even 4th. The children would go to Pine
Grove for the upper grades. Beryl Robinson, Hazel Swartz, Pauline
Clark and Ada Van Camp taught there as well as Vera Mae Snyder, who
was the last teacher to teach at Hastings. Students attending
Hastings School can remember using the rail that surrounded the
large round gas stove that sat in the middle of the room for a foot
warmer in the winter. The one room school had a boys and girls cloak
room and an indoor bathroom. Dot Springer’s father helped attach the
large bell on the top of the school. Children attended there up
until around 1950. It was torn down along with the company houses.
Hemlock School – no information
available other than a USGS National Mapping location of an
historical school at Pine Grove.
Jacksonburg Schools - The oldest
school in Jacksonburg was a wood frame school which stood in the
flat field south of town. This was built prior to 1918 because in
the 1901 History of Wetzel County, it is written that the town of
Lot, which is now Jacksonburg, had one schoolhouse. In 1918 a second
school, which was a brick structure, was built on the hill in
Jacksonburg. Some say that Jacksonburg High School was in this new
brick building for only one year and that in 1919 the high school
students were transferred to Pine Grove High School and the building
was used only for the grade school; however, there was definitely a
high school there in the 1930s, so possibly it did close and then
reopen. The brick school house was built on land owned by the Lantz
family, who agreed to loan the use of the land to them as long as
they needed it, but in agreement that if the school ever closed, the
land would revert back to the Lantz family. The school housed grades
1st through 11th when it opened. The kids would have a graduation
ceremony upon completion of the 11th grade and then would attend
Pine Grove for their senior year; however, sometime in the last 4 or
5 years of the high school, some of the juniors, Bus Hayhurst, Glenn
Willey, and Waldo Cain, elected to attend Reader for their senior
year. The last year that included the 9th, 10th and 11th grades was
the 1936-37 school year. Treva Willey Wilson, Dick Holman and Lela
Aberegg were members of this last 11th grade class who then
graduated in 1938 from Pine Grove High School. The principal of the
Jacksonburg School at that time was Billy Eastham and teachers
included Roxie Brookover, Opal Brookover, Robert Wagner, Austin M.
Haught, Roy Parsons, Phyllis Cozart, Edith Loveall, and Mabel
Martin. There was a gymnasium in the school but over time became
dilapidated and was no longer used. The school then became 1st
through 8th and the upperclassmen were transferred to Pine Grove. In
1945-46 the teachers were Roxie Horner Brookover – 1st-2nd; Opal
Willey Brookover – 3rd-4th; Mary Fluharty Potts – 5th-6th; Herman
Bradley – 7th-8th and Principal. Each teacher taught physical
education in the gymnasium. Mary Fluharty, along with Edith Parks
and Pearl Halley started the first 4-H club at the school in 1946.
Miss Fluharty also had a choral class available at this time for
extracurricular activity. There were no organized sports teams in
1945-46. During the 1950s and ‘60s teachers included Rhea Blanchett
and Mr. Tyson, who taught "Manual Training" class, which included
working with wood and other such crafts. The principals of the grade
school/junior high included Herman Bradley, Bill Higgins, and Mr.
Westfall. At one time, Bill Higgins was teacher, bus driver, and
principal. In 1963-64, half of the kids living in Pine Grove went to
Jacksonburg and the other half went to Reader. From 1954 until 1958
there was still a 7th & 8th grade at Jacksonburg. In 1960-61 the 7th
and 8th grades went to Smithfield; there was also the Junior High at
Reader. At some time, there was a basketball team started and the
mascot chosen was the Falcons. At the time of closing, Don Westfall
was principal, Beth Tennant was the secretary and Ruth Detwyler was
the librarian and aide. Westfall and Tennant split their time
between Jacksonburg and Smithfield Grade Schools. There was only a
Kindergarten at Smithfield, so the Jacksonburg children that wanted
to attend had to travel to Smithfield. Other teachers throughout the
years at Jacksonburg Grade included Nancy Edwards, Patty Potts, Beth
Harwick, Mrs. Brown, Madeline Carlin, Mrs. Grimes, Mrs. Warder,
Chuck Blair, Wayne Fetty, Pat Bland, Rachel Mellott, Allen Strader,
and Debbie Novotny. The gymnasium had been condemned at one time but
during the last three years of the school, the PTA raised funds and
brought it up to standards so that it was in use at the time of
closing. During the early ‘70s, the children from Jacksonburg played
in the 4-5-6th grade basketball league at Reader Grade. The two
schools formed teams of players and cheerleaders designated by
different colors and played intramural games and tournaments. The
school closed in 1979 when the new Shortline School was opened.
Kendall Gate School – This school was
located up the right hand fork of Richwood on Lowman Ridge. It was
situated about 3 to 4 miles from the Lowman Ridge School towards
Brink. It stood on the edge of a farm owned by Jeremiah Kendall and
Belinda Jane Hayes, who first settled in Wetzel County in the 1800s.
They are buried in the Kerns (Kendall) Cemetery located near the
site of the old school. It was a feeder school for Fallen Timber
School, housing probably only the first 3 to 4 grades. It operated
in the very early 1900s and probably closed down when the Mobley
School opened in the mid 1920s. Families attending the school
included Kendalls, Coens, and Henthornes, to name a few. After it
closed, the building was used as a church, with services by Reverend
John Kendall. The church later moved to a site on North Fork Road
and then on to the old Elm Grove School, and finally united with the
Lowman Baptist Church. The school was razed sometime around 1962.
Kodol School – The community of Kodol was established in 1854, and according to the 1901 History of Wetzel County, there was a one room school there in the late 1800s. It was in operation until at least the late 1940s. Dave Augurbright was a teacher.
Long School or Reader’s Run School was
located up Reader’s Run on property that is now owned by the Jim
Long family and was in operation in the early 1900s. Okey Long was a
teacher there at one time. The building is still standing, although
barely, and the inside still shows scribbled names of kids from long
Lowman Ridge School – It was located
at the top of Richwood Hill and then to the immediate left onto
Lowman Ridge. Families that attended this school included the
Hendershots, Henthornes, Dulaneys, Knisleys, Goddards, Cozarts,
Kirkpatricks, Whites, Starkeys, Andersons, and Watsons. It closed in
the 1940s. Teachers included Alton Jolliffe, Raymond Hawkins, Opal
Willey Brookover, Claude Derby, Russell Fisher, and Encil Willey,
who was the last teacher to teach at the school. It housed 1st
through 8th and was built in the 1920s. The school and the land it
stood on was purchased in the 1960s by Henry Parsons and was taken
down and reconstructed on Middle Island Creek in Tyler County. It is
still standing. Mary Goddard Huggins, who attended the school in the
1930s, and her husband Earl, own the land surrounding the school.
McKimmie Ridge School – This school
was located was on McKimmie Ridge where the road goes down towards
the Brock Cemeteries, Grimm Cemetery and Shenango. This school was
attended by children in the 1920s and 1930s and closed around 1943.
It was a one-room school that housed grades 1st through 8th. Frank
Cochran and Marie Workman were teachers. There were two outhouses
beside the school…one for the girls and one for the boys. Buzzard’s
Glory was another name for this school.
Merrifield School was located up the
North Fork at the head of Wiley Fork and is listed as an historical
school with the USGS National Mapping service and as having a
location of Big Run.
Minnie School was located up Fluharty
Run (Hupp’s Run) at Minnie. It was a two-room schoolhouse that was
built to replace one-room schools that stood at the Klipstine
property up Hupp’s Run, near the Mt. Zion Church on New Martinsville
Ridge, and the Low Gap school on Turkey Run. Teachers of these
one-room schools included Augusta Klipstine, John Bonner, Ray
Merritt, Walter Schamp, James McGinnis, John Morgan, and Ross Ice.
The picture shown was taken in 1936 with the teacher, Leola Schamp
Arthur seated in the front row, fourth from the left. It housed 1st
through 8th grades at first and then later only 1st through 6th. It
started out as a two-room school, but as attendance dropped in the
later years, one room was closed off and the students occupied the
other. The school was closed around 1953 and torn down in the early
1970s. Oran Gray and Rhea Blanchett also taught there.
Mobley School – This brick school located in the community of Mobley was built in the mid 1920s. At one time, it housed 1st through 8th grades (before 1932), but later was attended by children in grades 1st through 6th. Teachers included Bill Higgins, Bob Merrifield, Ethel Poe, and Herman Bradley as principal. It closed in 1963, but the building is still standing and very well kept by members of the community. It was used at one time to hold square dances for the community. Teachers included Ray Shreve, Bill Higgins, Annette Gilmore and Etta Haught. Mobley was the first school in Wetzel County to organize a school band in 1925. J. L. Roberts, Principal, played the slide trombone, baritone or cornet; Jenny Wood, tuba; Cleveland Wood, bass drum; Goldie Cain, cymbals; Kathryn Allen, snare drum; Louise Snodgrass, slide trombone; Margaret Snodgrass, alto French horn; Effert "Red" Snodgrass, cornet; Lewis Allen, cornet; and Evalene Snodgrass, cornet.
Morgan Ridge School was located up the
road from the end of the Reader Bridge (Bland or Fair Hill) and
almost clear out to the Ashland Church. Virginia Headley Tracy
taught there in 1949, which she believes was the last year for the
school. It was a one-room school house.
Mountain Tea – Joy Postlethwait
Headley taught here sometime before 1929. It was located somewhere
out Barker Road on a hill near Route 7. She lived with a Bland
family while she was teaching.
Mount Hope - no information available
other than a USGS National Mapping location of an historical school
at Pine Grove.
Mt. Morris was out on Money Ridge at
the top of the hill and out the road to the left about one-eighth of
a mile. Glenn Gainer was a teacher there. Money Run got its name
from Money Bates, who located the land near the stream at a very
early date, according to the 1901 History of Wetzel County.
Oak Grove School was located up Big Run and out on Anderson Ridge. Teachers included Bryan "Dutch" Brookover, Herman Bradley, Ella Gump, Havey Haught, Tincey Haught, and A. Milton Rice. It was attended by the Stonekings, Andersons, Williams, Morrises, Burdines, Byards, and Harlans in the 1930s. The school was in the Rock Camp area between Big Run and Anderson Ridge.
Pine Grove had a grade school and high
school. Fay Brohard and Joe Long wrote in the History of Wetzel
County 1983: "A school was started by a Ms. Hostuttler in her
father’s kitchen. Then another teacher by the name of Stacy Stevens
taught school, and for the tuition was an outlandish $3.00 for three
months of school. A school was finally built below Wilson run, and
called Free School, and finally a more modern school was built at
the present location." An old souvenir booklet presented to Mary
Curran in 1911 by her teacher, Frank Hall, lists those that
graduated from Pine Grove Public Schools Room No. 6 as Earle
Simpson, Frienda Feather, Mabel Feather, Mae Feather, Pearl Sands,
Daisy Haught, Threasia Daley, Georgia Morgan, Mary Alley, Mary
Curran, and Bernice Morgan. It also listed those who had previously
received diplomas as: Andy Lantz, Howard Moore, Charles Sayre, Alice
Hawkins, Hazel Hawkins, Alma Hall and Ara Lowe; other pupils listed
as enrolled included Jesse Sands, Ben Haught, Tip Long and Missouri
Moore. The newer Pine Grove School, built sometime around 1914-15,
housed grades 1st through 6th in one building and grades 7th through
12th in another. The building stood side by side and were very
similar in appearance. Teachers at the lower grades included Etta
Haught – 1st; Lillian Monger – 2nd; Vera Mae Snyder – 3rd; Dorothy
Garmon Grimes – 4th; Murial Wiley – 5th; Jimmy Haught or Mr. Cochran
– 6th; this faculty served for most of the 1950s. Verde Fankhouser
was the principal. John Barrett also served as principal at one
time. The last class to graduate from Pine Grove High School was the
Class of 1960. The mascot for the school was the Tornadoes. In the
late 1960s, around 1968, the grade school was closed and the
children attended Reader Grade School.
Pine Point School was located up past
Barker and just past Betsy Run. It is listed with the USGS National
Mapping location as an historical school at Pine Grove.
Piney was home to several schools. The
Piney School was located below the forks, in the town of Piney—the
Cain and Arnett families had the school moved to its present
location and it is now the Piney Church of Christ. Teachers of
students in grades 1st through 8th at Piney included Glenn Gainer,
Oran Gray, Opal Minor, and Freda and Marie Wichterman. There was a
school on Piney Ridge also. The picture of the Piney Ridge School
appeared in the Wetzel Democrat newspaper with the caption "Need
help in identifying the people in the school pictures". A woman from
Akron named Mrs. Charles Straight was looking for names of the
people in the picture. She identified the boy in the buggy as James
Straight, a relative, and wished to complete the list. The Piney,
Ross and Noland schools were all in operation at the same time and
housed 1st through 8th grades. Freda and Marie Wichterman taught at
the Ross school, which is located up the right hand fork, during the
1940s. It has been turned into a hunting camp and is still standing.
There used to be a Baptist Church there and also a Post Office along
with the Ross School. The Noland School was located up the left hand
fork of Piney. It was a one room school that housed grades 1st
through 8th. Freda Wichterman taught there in 1931. Glenn Gainer
also taught there around 1935-36. Back in the oil field days of
Piney, there was a section up the left fork called King, which also
had two schools. There was also another school called the Fluharty
School at Ross, which is also still standing. Yet another school was
located on what the locals call "School House Hill" and now is the
site of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Shaver (who coincidently both
happen to be teachers).
Porters Falls (formerly called
Morgantown due to being settled in 1818 by Morgan Morgan) also had a
grade school. It is still standing and the building is owned by Neil
Rice. It was in operation at the same time as the Vincen School.
Teachers included Rhea Blanchett, Leola Schamp and Oran Gray. It was
a three room school with grades 1st through 8th, with higher
education continuing at Reader High School. They consolidated with
Reader in about 1956.
Pricetown – This school was located on
Pickenpaw Road in Pricetown. During the 1920s, Margaret Reppard was
the principal. In the 1950s, children attended for 1st through 6th
grades and then went to Smithfield for 7th through 12th grades. The
building is still standing and is owned by the Burr Family. Robert
Johnson at one time was also a teacher. It was a two room
schoolhouse and was still open in 1955.
Pride of Green – This school was
located on Route 7 where Turkey Run begins and leads to Porters
Falls. The land the school sat on is now owned by the Steele family.
Roy Workman was the principal and teacher here in 1923 when the
school first opened. He would rent a room from a nearby home during
the week and walk back to Eight Mile Ridge on the weekends. The
school was in operation into the 1960s. It was a two room school
with grades 1st through 3rd in one room and grades 4th through 6th
in the other. Other teachers included Ruth Jones, Wilbur Garrett,
Leola Arthur, and Ruth Rose.
Reader - The first grade school in
Reader was held across the creek from Reader where Sam McAllister
once lived. The first public school in Reader was built in 1904,
according to the History of Wetzel County published by the Wetzel
County Genealogical Society in 1983, at which time the school year
was three months long. The Board of Education’s list of schools
compiled in 1933 shows the Reader School as being established in
1880. One of the pictures shows a wood-sided school in 1900 and the
name of Mr. Cochran, Teacher, can be seen on close inspection of the
sign the children are holding. Another picture in 1920 shows several
students, including Hattie Gadd, whose name can now also be found at
this website: http://www.larlham.org/hattiegaddlarlham.html. She was
the primary founder of the Hattie Larlham Foundation (formally
established in 1964) for disabled children and served as its
administrator from 1961 to 1977. Another person whose name can also
be found on the internet and was most likely a student at the older
wooden school in Reader was Clarence Garrett. According to the
statistics found at
he was born in Reader and became a pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
in 1915. His career fielding percentage was .929. According to a
language arts project completed by Mrs. Janet Forni’s eighth grade
class at Shortline School in 1987, the first high school at Reader
was established in 1914 and the first teachers of the high school
were as follows: C.M. Ashburn, Principal; Ivan Wright, Assistant
Principal; and Kate Moore. In the grades were the following: E. P.
Theiss, Principal; Eva Sims, primary; and Ada Sims, 3rd and 4th
grades. The principal came from Smithfield. All the teachers had
taught before, and all were qualified for their positions. The first
grade school was built in 1904; the high school was ten years later.
On June 6, 1914, Reader’s first high school was built by the
District Board of Education, Ben Martin, S.S. Haught, I.R. Wright,
and J.G. Burgess. James M. Cochran, father of Isabel Minges, dug the
basement for the school with a team of oxen in the year of 1914. The
money to build the high school was obtained by a vote of $25,000 in
bonds. The first graduating class was in 1917 and consisted of three
girls and two boys. The enrollment of the elementary grades was
approximately fifty when the first school opened. There were no
extracurricular activities the first year. This information was
compiled by Forni’s students from interviews conducted with Ben
Cochran, J.D. Wayne, Roy Workman, and O.W. Milburn of Reader and
from Reader High School office records and written information by
the 1929 and 1934 Reader High School World History Classes. Other
information pertaining to the Reader School that the students
included in their project shows the contract price of the Reader
High School was $18,000, but the actual cost of the building was
$25,000. The principal received $1400 for the first year’s work. The
first gymnasium for Reader School was built in 1929. It burned
shortly after it was built. The second one was built in 1930. A
railroad crew passing by noticed smoke and stopped to alert the
townspeople, but didn’t recognize it to be on fire, and after an
inspection, continued on. Apparently the fire was smoldering beneath
the gym floor and resulted in a total destruction of the gym. The
following year a new gym was constructed and is still standing,
owned and used by McDiffitt Pipe of Reader. The enrollment in grades
9th through 12th from 1917 to 1934 ranged from a low of 20 in 1919
to a high of 89 in 1932. Principals of the Reader School for the
years 1914-15 to present include: C. A. Ashburn, W. P. Haught, H. A.
Matheney, Strauss R. Hood, F. C. McCuskey, John. M. Priest, Ira R.
Glover, V. W. Moody, John H. Gorby, A. M. Haught, F. H. Bradley, C.
P. Wells, Coy Postlethwait, Verda C. Fankhouser, J. L. Roberts, J.
L. Garrett, R. K. Cutlip, C. C. Siders, R. V. Moyers, H. V. Bradley,
J. W. Wonsik, Harry W. Holbert (Head Teacher), and Roy L. Lloyd.
Isabel Minges became the secretary in December of 1958 and remained
for 31 years, retiring from the new Shortline School in 1989. One of
the pictures shown is from the 1920s and shows the brick building
that housed 1st through 12th grades and then later, just 1st through
8th. Some of the teachers names found in the collection of pictures
from the 1940s provided by Howard Gainer included Miss Feise, Miss
Headley, Ruby Barrett, Miss Crane, Mrs. Postlewaite, Miss Hartwig,
Mr. Minnick, and Miss Brooks. It was around the late 1950s that the
Reader School building was expanded in anticipation of the
consolidation and connected to the existing gymnasium. The Board of
Education contracted Ralph Oates of Morgantown to build the
expansion and local carpenters Joe Bucher, Delbert Lasure and Bride
Harrison helped with the construction, which also included a kitchen
on the West End of the building. In 1960-61 when Valley High School
was formed, all of the 7th and 8th grade school children in Reader
and Pine Grove attended Reader. Smithfield still had a 7th and 8th
grade at this time also. In the 1960s the kids used to be able to go
right next door to Mabel Snider’s Restaurant, more commonly known as
"Mabe’s", for lunch. They could get a sloppy joe for 15¢ and a 16
oz. RC cola for 11¢. Some of the braver kids also got an after lunch
cigarette (at that time minors could purchase tobacco without
showing ID) for 2¢ or 3 for 5¢. In 1963-64 the grade school children
from Pine Grove were split between Jacksonburg and Reader Grade
Schools, depending on which area of Pine Grove they lived in. The
school was torn down in the early 1980s. Items found in a time
capsule in the corner stone during destruction were old newspapers,
the rules of the Rebecca Lodge of Reader and some old coins.
Teachers at Reader included Freda Martin Wichterman, Opal Minor, Joy
Headley, Doris Holman, Hazel Headlee, Dick Holman, Frank Cochran,
Vivian Price, Lucille Price, Beulah Haught, Oran Gray, Thomas
Starkey, Rupert Shreve, Claude Derby, Ruth Stuter, Lynn Kendall,
Dixie Holbert, Marie Workman, Mr. Fankhouser, Mr. Jioio, Harry
Holbert, Russell Fisher, Wayne Fetty, Gerritta Witte, Ken Kasserman,
Joan Aberegg, Lillian Monger, Margie Lancaster, Sandy Lancaster,
Martie Haught, Martha Rogers Anderson, Glenda Follett, Ken Yoho,
David Barr, Goldie Kerr, Helen Amos, Glenda Taylor, Kay Moore Blair,
Barbara Brasier, Walter Hank, Joyce Macek, Ellen Weekley, Bev
Mosley, Mrs. Ludwig, June Groves, Mrs. Colleens, Mrs. Mason, Joan
Rushton, Mark Blair, and Mr. Calhoun Aides were DeEtta Sell, Joann
Miller, and Ruth Witte. Basketball coaches included Stewart "Punk"
Cain, Aaron Groves, Mr. Ott, Mr. Lambert and Mr. Jioio. Cooks at the
Reader School for several years were Nora Myers, Edna Straight, and
Junie Cochran. Fred King and then Raymond Straight served as
custodian for several years, as did Perry Thorn. In 1968-69 the
Reader Grade school only housed 1st through 6th, as the 7th and 8th
grades were moved to Valley and remained there until 1979-80 when
the new Shortline School was built. Most people interviewed who
attended Valley for their junior high years look back on it fondly,
without any memories of ever being traumatized or bullied by the
upperclassmen, as was the recent concern of the parents and teachers
during discussions of moving the 7th and 8th grades back to the high
school. However, times and students change, and the instances of
"bullying" have certainly been featured in the news of today quite
frequently and should certainly be a concern to all involved.
Richwood Run – It was located up in
the left hand fork of Richwood and in operation from 1929-1955.
Teachers included Mary Willey, Paul Gray, and Dan King who was the
last to teach there. Goldie Cain Henthorne and Anna Willey were
cooks for the school children, who included the Willeys, Henthornes,
Whites, Gumps, and Goodriches. The property was first owned by
Francis Marion Willey. He sold it for $150 to the Board of Education
around 1908. Frank Morgan was in charge of buying land for schools
at that time. Sometime around 1952-55, classes stopped and the
school was to be sold. The land was bought back by the landowners
for $200. The building was purchased by Bruce Brookover. Francis
Willey’s daughter, Ruth White, gave the land to her son, Ralph
Dulaney, who is living there at the present time. Terry Henthorne
provided the picture of the Richwood School.
Shenango School was located on the
McAllister farm on Shenango Run, which begins near the crest of
Allister Ridge and eventually joins Fishing Creek at a spot below
Pine Grove. Frank Cochran taught here. Families attending this
school included Browns, McAllisters, Larrimores, Hawkins, Siers,
Catletts, and Nolands.
Shortline School - The new Shortline
School began operations in the 1979-80 school year. Roy Lloyd was
the principal, Larry West was Vice-Principal and Isabel Minges and
Beth Tennant Bates were the secretaries. The following school year
had the same staff with the exception of the vice-principal slot
which was then held by Don Westfall. Glenna McDougal assumed the
role of principal in the 1981-82 school year and had help from Don
Westfall, Sam Morris, and Ralph Stripple as vice-principals. The
current principal is Janie Beckett, who has held the position since
the second half of the 1986-87 school year and been helped in the
vice-principal role by Ralph Stripple, Jay Yeager, Sam Snyder, Aaron
Groves, Lynn Caseman and Russ McKeen. Secretaries other than Isabel
and Beth have included Erma Watts, Jyl McIntyre Kinkade, Nora Coen
McDiffitt and Debbie Adams Fluharty. It houses Kindergarten through
8th, the school mascot chosen by the students’ majority vote is the
Engineers, and the school colors are red, white and black. A logo
designed by Steven Morningstar, art teacher in 1979-80, depicts an
engineer with a train rolling down the tracks in the background.
Shuman School – no information
available other than a USGS National Mapping location of an
historical school at Pine Grove.
Sincerity School – no information
available other than being included on a list compiled and signed by
Herman Bradley. Sincerity was a community located between Kingstown
Smithfield Schools - A school was built in 1898 at the mouth of Sugar Camp Road, by William Wyatt. F. L. Harbert was the teacher. The school burned down in 1900, but a new one was started and completed in early 1901. This was a wood sided school that housed grades 1st through 12th. Teachers in 1904 at Smithfield School were Inez Brookfield, Mamie Brookfield, Gouldie Brown, Mida Brown, and Annie Cole. The new brick school high school was completed and ready for occupation in 1920. This is the school right across the bridge with the tall white columns in the front. The grade school building was built sometime around 1926 and was used until 1968. Both schools had gymnasiums, but the high school students played basketball in the grade school gym during the late 1940s. The mascot for the basketball team, coached at one time by Mack McKinney, was the Lions. When the high school closed in 1960-61 the building was used to house the 7th and 8th grade students from Smithfield, Jacksonburg and Folsom until 1968-69 when the 7th & 8th were sent to Valley. In the fall of 1969-70 the grade school was moved into the old high school building where it remained until 1979 and the old grade school building was condemned. Children from Folsom and Smithfield attended at that time. In 1968, due to fire and safety codes, the grade school (former high school building) was going to be shut down but the parents got involved and brought the building up to specifications. The children attended school in buses for several months while the school was being renovated. Teachers at Smithfield School included Bob Merrifield as Principal, Roy Dillaman, Ray Ensminger, Thomas Fankhouser, Red Snodgrass, Rupert Shreves, Mrs. Warrington, David Barr, Ruth Longociu, Donna Talkington, Hazel Hayes, Ruth Hood, Glenda Follett, Madeline Carlin, Debbie Keough, Mrs. Wyne, and Mrs. Jones. The grade school closed down in 1979 when the new Shortline School opened. The school was torn down when the Smithfield Apartments were constructed.
State Road Run School was located out from Porters Falls and almost to the head of State Run Road on the P. K. Eastham farm. Leslie Garrett taught there. It was in operation in the early 1900s. It was torn down over 60 years ago. The Hope Gas Company at one time had a station there after school shut down. The land is currently owned by the Ueltschy family.
Stout Run School - The first school
house stood on the ridge between Deadfall and Stout Run. It was
there before 1900. Later a school house was built further down the
hill on the Stout Run side. This school was built near 1905 or a
little later and stopped being used around 1927. It burned down in
1930. The teachers there included Lina Hood, Florence Edgell, and
Sugar Camp - no information available
other than a USGS National Mapping location of an historical school
at Pine Grove. It may be referring to the old school in Smithfield
at Sugar Camp Road or possibly one up Crows Run at an area referred
to as Sugar Camp.
Tea Garden – no information available
other than a USGS National Mapping location of an historical school
at Big Run.
Tunnel School was located up near Folsom. There is a railroad tunnel between Hartzel (now known as Manion Run) and Rinehart. The one room school was by the tunnel on Hartzel on the Wetzel County side, which is why it was also called Hartzel School. It had children in 1st through 8th grades in the 1930s. The teachers, who often walked to the school from Folsom, included Everett Anderson, Florence Edgell, Max Edgell, Bernard Price and Garland Johnson. The school closed around 1944.
Union School sat by WV Routes 7 and
20, near the bridge on Rt. 20. It was close to where the DeNoon
Lumber Company now has its drying kiln.
Upper Run School – This school was
located on Upper Run, which is close to the Carbide Cut between
Hastings and Jacksonburg. The school began operating in the 1920s
and closed in 1952. It held grades 1st through 8th and teachers
included Olie Wright, John Barrett, Claude Derby and Richard Holman
during the late 1930s. Families attending during that time included
the Wetzels, Sycocs, Yohos, Dulaneys, Wildmans, McCoys and Elliotts.
Mary Fluharty Potts taught there in 1943-46. When the school closed
the land went back to the Sycoc family. It was located where John
and Eileen (Sycoc) Lemasters now live.
Upper Richwood School was located up
Richwood Run on the Mobley side of Jacksonburg Hill.
Utt School at Utt Ridge – It was a
school attended by students until the turn of the century. It was
located near the intersection of 4-Mile and Hoyt Ridge, facing on
the Hoyt Ridge side. These roads met in a fork or "Y" intersection
and the school sat on the knoll near the beginning of Hoyt Ridge
(Big Run end). It overlooked the barn of the old Frank Blake farm of
4-Mile. It probably existed from the last half of the 19th century
(1850/60) until around the first quarter of the 20th century
Vincen School was located at the end
of Chiselfinger Ridge and then on the left for about 800 feet as
though you are going on to Eight mile ridge. The history of Wetzel
County notes that Vincent is listed as a rural Post Office 12 miles
southeast Of New Martinsville with mail delivery three times weekly.
The one room school house was on the Vincen Amos farm. The Board of
Education purchased the land from Vincen for $50.00 to build the
school. The post office and the school were named for him. Mary
Jane, his wife, was a midwife and received her training and degree
under the guidance of Dr. J. Theiss. From "The Amos Family Old &
New" by Linda K. Wade, July 21, 1989, Issue #3: (article written for
Glen and Forrest Amos and submitted to the Wild Wonderful West
Virginia Magazine): "Changing Times: The place--a small ridge above
Porters Falls, West Virginia, called Chiselfinger. The
people--honest, hard working and friendly. The year--1906. The
Wetzel County Board of Education consults Vincen and Mary Jane Amos
about purchasing a small section of their property on which to build
a school. There is already one school on Chiselfinger Ridge about
two miles from the Amos property. The winters are cold and snow is
deep and the children aren't supposed to have to walk more than two
miles to get to school. Vincen and Mary Jane, having children and
grandchildren, who would benefit from a school so close to home
decided to sell about a half acre to the school board for "school
purposes only" at a total cost of $50.00. The one room school was
completed in 1906 and went on record as the Vincen School. As you
walked through the door, there was a coat room on each side of the
hallway. The floor was made of wood; the walls were made of small
wooden boards that had been varnished, (this design was called
tongue & groove). Four large windows on each side of the building
allowed light to flood the room. A chalk board lined the back wall.
A big coal stove sat right in the center of the room with a stove
pipe going straight out a hole cut in the black tin roof. A coal
shed was just in front of the school and two out-houses sat behind
the school, (one for the girls and one for boys). Drinking water was
carried from the Vincen Amos farm, a quarter mile up the road.
School opened in September and closed in May. Hours were from 9:00
to 3:30 with two recesses and an hour break for a brown bag lunch,
which was brought from home. Two holidays were observed:
Thanksgiving and Christmas. Reading, writing and spelling were
taught to the students in grades 1 to 8. Each desk seated two
students and they shared the ink well that was in the top center of
the desk. The teacher and students were responsible for keeping the
school clean and orderly. The first teacher at Vincen School was Rex
Stewart, followed by F. B. McGinnis. Other teachers who taught
through the years include: Ernest Rice, Frank Cochran, Mrs. Miller,
Ralph Conley, Frances Bucher, Zackwell Cochran, Ray Merritt, Blanche
Haught, Luther Kidder, Russell Amos, Jim McGinnis, Merle Butler,
Doll Blair, Roy Minor, and Oren Gray. The last teacher was Thomas G.
Starkey, who taught at Vincen for nine years. As time changes, so do
the rules and regulations. Transportation to and from school was
becoming less of a problem, but a shortage of teachers, as well as
students, was taking a toll on our school system. A ruling that a
continued attendance of less than 12 students would require sending
students to the next closest school. Alas, in 1938, the Vincen
School temporarily closed its doors. The minutes of the Board of
Education, 3 Sept. 1938, state that Dave Amos (s/o Vincen & Mary
Jane) was awarded the contract for hauling children from the Vincen
School to the Chiselfinger School at $40.00 per month. The teacher
at Vincen (Thomas Starkey) was ordered transferred to Chiselfinger.
Although Dave Amos was awarded this contract, his son, Carl Amos,
drove the children to the Chiselfinger School in a 1930 Chevy
automobile. Then a decision was made to sell the Chiselfinger
School. In 1945, after being closed for 7 years, the Vincen School
reopened with Thomas Starkey again the teacher. Vincen Amos, for
whom the school was named, died in 1926. His wife, Mary Jane, passed
away in 1943. Glen Amos, a gr-son, bought the home place in 1946.
Glen’s son, Floyd, started school in 1949. Vincen had changed little
since Glen’s own boyhood days at the school. Having seen such little
change both pleased and concerned Glen. His concern surfaced in a
letter which was entered into the Board of Education Minutes Book, 3
April 1951. ---A letter from Glen Amos concerning the water supply
at the Vincen School was ordered investigated by the County Health
Department---and action was taken. Minutes Book, 2 Oct. 1951,
reads—On motion made by Mr. Lambert and seconded by Dr. Batson, the
well belonging to Mr. (Glenn) Amos where the Vincen School gets
water was ordered repaired, a new pump installed and new lights be
installed in the school building. The last entry in the Board of
Education Minutes Book dated 5 July 1955: --On motion of Dr. Batson,
seconded by Mr. Fetty, the sale of the Vincen School building and
land was approved. Vincent School stood proud through two
generations of children laughing, playing and learning. Now in 1989
you can no longer hear the children’s laughter; you can no longer
see the math problems on the old black board; the coal stove, desks
and books are gone. Memories remain in the minds of those who went
to Vincent and each year those memories become more precious. The
old Building? It still stands, weathered by the elements of time and
broken by the era gone by, nevertheless proud to have been a small
part of West Virginia History and honored to be a part of the Amos
Heritage. (Linda K. Wade)"
Willow Grove – no information
available other than a USGS National Mapping location of a
historical school located at Big Run.
Other schools mentioned in the 1901 History of Wetzel County that were located in either of the two Shortline districts included Dean, in Green District, which was near the site of the John Clark property and approximately 10 miles from the county seat, and Childs, also in Green District and also 10 miles from the county seat. There was also mention by some people interviewed of a Hart School located up Buffalo Run near the Hart Farm. A picture provided by Howard Gainer, labeled as Rocky Ridge in 1926-27, is also located somewhere in Green district, but no information other than the fact that Glenn Gainer taught there, is known.