CEDAR GROVE GRAVEYARD
The Cedar Grove Church stands on top of a high hill, up from
the first sharp bend of the Kanawha River, above the mouth
of Mill Run, and commanding a fine view of the lower valley,
the surrounding hill country and far over into Ohio.
Though high above the river, level, owing to the lay of the
west side of the hill, and situation of a small run, the spot is
easily approached by the Staunton Pike. There is a strip of
woodland reaching almost to the church house, and a part of
the graveyard is new, the largest oak timber having been cut
about two years before I visited the spot in 1917.
There is a nice grove, but I saw no cedar. The oldest gravestone
I noted is -
Sampson Musser - 1852.
Captain William Prince, died September 24th, 1825, aged fifty-one
years, one month. He was, however, first buried elsewhere, and
removed to this graveyard.
Jeremiah Prince, April, 1886, aged forty-two - a Union soldier.
Adaline, wife of Robert Prince, died January 12th, 1876, aged
thirty-five years, two months. She was a daughter of David and
David Shearer was born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, July
30th, 1805, died December 11th, 1860.
Susannah Musser Shearer, born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania,
September 2nd, 1807, died July 2nd, 1892.
Cyrus Musser, 1878, aged twenty.
Sampson Musser, 1852, aged ten.
David Musser, September, 1878, aged fourteen.
Samuel Musser died in 1884, in his sixty-fourth year.
Ruth Musser, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, March 4th, 1824,
died 1898. She was a Shearer.
I think the name is Shearer on the tombstones. In the records, it
is sometimes Shearer, and sometimes Shears. David, a son of
Samuel, told me Shears in correct.
Stanley Musser, Co. A., 13th W. Va. Inf. (dates not taken)
Lucinda, his wife, 1851 - 1901.
Elizabeth A., wife of G. W. Taggart, February, 1834 - October, 1881.
Lewis Kraft, 1854 - 1906.
Emma Kraft, 1854 - 1901.
James Vandiver, 1830 -1901.
Rowena, wife of James Davis, December 3rd, 1815 - January 21st, 1887.
James M. Davis, October 17th, 1816 - February 1st, 1887.
John Amick 1862 - fifty-nine years.
Mary Gossage, 1834 - 1897.
Samuel Gossage, November 27th, 1900, aged seventy-four years, eight
Mary, wife of George W. Brown, 1822 - 1907.
Joseph H. Williams, 1821 - 1861.
Susannah B. Williams, 1824 - 1889/
Mary Piersol, 1840 - 1898.
Thomas A. Glover, April 2nd, 1815 - March 4th, 1896.
Mary Van Wye, his wife, 1822 - 1890.
Of Union soldiers' graves, I noted:
Stanley Musser, Co. A., 13th (or 15th) W. Va. Inf., 1851 - 1901.
J. M. Price, Co. D., 14th W. Va.
J. A. Stineberger, Co. M., 6th W. Va.
J. M. Grier, Co. C., 6th W. Va.
J. W. Jenkins, Co. C., 15th W. Va.
James S. Bushman (M) Co. F., 2nd W. Va.
Jeremiah Prince, Co. D., 14th W. Va., died 1896, forty-two years.
G. W. Kinney, 1845 - 1911. A G. A. R. man.
U. P. Postlewait, Co. B., 6th W. Va.
JOHN COOK OR NEALE GRAVEYARD
No place they sought in hall of fame,
Nor ever dreamed of deathless name,
For them it was to dare and do -
They builded wiser than they knew
(J. A. H.)
At a point on the old Sand Road, opposite the head of Neale's
Island, and about half way between the elbow turn of the old
road - at old site of Neale schoolhouse and the junction of the
old and new roads, at the Essex Glass Works, lies the old John
The cemetery is at the top of a bank below Pond Run, and lies
at the south side of the old Sand Road. A few of the evergreen
trees which once surrounded it still stand.
The cemetery has been used for burying purposes for many
years, and the original ground seems to be practically filled up,
since which there has been added a strip of land about twenty
feet wide at the west end, and one or two rods at the east. This,
however, includes a part of the bank in the northwest corner,
which will not do for burying purposes, and has been allowed
to grow up with brush and weeds; the graveyard is nicely
fenced and kept clean.
There are many graves without tombstones or markers. Some
of the others have granite monuments, others marble stones
and some of the oldest plain slabs of marble or sandstone.
The oldest date I saw was that of Abram Samuels, June 21st,
1852. Probably there were graves here long before that date,
I noted the names:
T. J. Cook, born January 3rd, 1811, died June 8th, 1871, aged
seventy years, five months.
Celia, wife of T. J. Cook, January 7th, 1815 - July 1st, 1891,
aged seventy-five years, five months.
George - their son - died when two years old.
This Tillinghast was a son of John Cook, and nephew of
T. A. Cook.
Abraham Samuels, died June 21st, 1852, aged sixty-five years
(born April 1st, 1787).
Hannah, wife of Abraham Samuels, died July 14th, 1874, aged
seventy-six years, one month (born June 1st, 1797).
Joseph Cook, October 20th, 1826 - November 18th, 1881,
John Cook, November 16th, 1819 - June 4th, 1881.
A Joseph Cook married Aurelia Guthrie in 1849. This Joseph
and John were probably both sons of John Cook.
Joseph S. Cook, born April 20th, 1853, died December 25th,
Amelia Lester, wife of J. S. Cook, August 11th, 1881, aged
twenty-four years, seven months.
William H. Neale was born May 2nd, 1812. (An account of
family gives it May 12th, 1813.) "He was named by Gen.
Harrison, who was at that time stationed at the Point" -- says
his son, Joseph Neale. His father is Thomas Neale, then lived
at the present corner of Ann and First Streets, but later at
William H. Neale married Mary Catharine, daughter of Henry
Dils, in 1833.
Mary Catharine Dils, born November 4th, 1817 - died October
Emma J. Neale, a daughter died in 1870, aged seventeen.
H. C. Neale, 1836 - 1907.
Leo Carrie, his wife, 1843 - 1903.
They lived north of the road near graveyard, in 1884.
In the same group:
Sallie S., wife of L. N. Tavenner, died January 24th, 1877.,
aged twenty years, ten months.
William H. Neale, same row, 1879, aged twenty years, six
Rev. James M. Heitt, son of Presley and Hannah Hiett, died
April 1st, 1880, in his twenty-third year.
Hannah, wife of D. W. Hiett, died in 1885, in her fifty-second
In the same row is grave of Edward Anderson, 1889, age not
Joseph A., son of J. B. and M. C. West, 1862 - 1870. West
lived near Wesley Chapel.
Rev. S. T. Mallory, 1822 - 1905. He was formerly Presiding
Elder of Parkersburg District, Southern Methodist Church.
Lucy H., his wife, born 1836 - died 1868, aged fifty-nine
years, three months.
B. F. Meeks, 1838 - 1894.
Frank, son of William and Elizabeth Meeks, 1875 - 1900.
Joseph Meeks, 1881 - 1910.
Elizabeth Meeks, February 6th, 1841 - July 29th, 1914.
William Meeks, 1838 - 1919.
Andrew Taylor, 1874 - 1923.
Sarah A., wife of William McAtee, 1853 - 1923.
Jessie, wife of Sylvester Snyder, 1884 - 1917.
Two Goudy children.
Bessie M. Chancellor, a five year old child.
Sarah A. Chancellor, aged sixty-five - no dates.
John Dye died September 22nd, 1875 (born June 16th, 1810).
Amelia, his wife, May 22nd, 1810 - October 18th, 1894. John
Dye married Milla Leach in 1832.
Nearby is the grave of Terissa Nelson, an "aged Christian
Lee Hall, 1876 - 1920.
Margaret J. Smith, wife of A. J. Hugus, 1841 - 1868.
Two children's grave in same row.
George W. Williams, 1874 - 1922.
Nettie Williams, 1878 - date not cut.
Thelma A. Miller, 1912 - 1922.
In the southeast corner are two graves with no stones, but
one has a marker of the American Legion, and a flag.
Emily Lavina, daughter Hardin and Elizabeth Neal, and wife
of James Tavenner, died April 27th, 1873, aged twenty-four
years, six months.
Nearby is the grave of Edward Mallory Neal, 1896.
Loring Florence, Co. D., 14th W. Va., 1838 - 1907.
Elizabeth, his wife, died 1887, aged fifty-five.
Henry Feldner, 1842 - 1901.
Jacob Deem, Co. H., 6th W. Va. (no dates)
Lydia May, wife of Walter Bunch, 1884 - 1913.
William T. Price, June 21st, 1819 - July 11th, 1895.
Susan T., his wife, December 4th, 1824 - August 8, 1881.
Charles B., their son, March 24, 1854 - July 10th, 1872.
George M., another son, 1859 - 1879.
Delos C., son of Robert and Deliah Grier, born in Monroe
County, Ohio, 1839 - 1903.
Sarah Isabelle, wife of Delasco Grier, 1848 - 1906.
Ida Virginia, daughter of above, 1880 - 1898.
Dudley B., son of above, 1886 - 1914.
Prather Grier, born in Tyler County, Virginia, March 9th,
1832 - died March, 1884.
Sarah J., his wife, a daughter of J. B. and Mary A. West,
died 1885, aged fifty-two years, five months.
Frank Carrol Grier, son, 1882, aged twenty years, three months.
Robert Grier of Fayette County, Pa., son of John and Rhoda,
died January 24th, 1854, aged sixty-four years, four months
(born September 17th, 1789).
Delila, his wife, born June 16th, 1795 - died January 25th,
Mary Grier, wife of Frank Clark, October 10th, 1865 - 1904.
James H. Davisson, 1833 - 1912.
Melissa A. Davisson, 1834 - --.
William McHugh, July 5th, 1846 - 1908.
Kate McHugh, his wife, born 1852.
Mary McHugh Edlen, 1883 - 1909.
Thomas J. Woofter, Co. E., 6th W. Va. Inf., 1846 - 1911.
Elijah Pickens, Co. K., 92nd O. V. I.
Here birds sing unrestrained their raphsodies,
Where yellow sunshine filters through the trees,
And here the stars shine down at night
While white moonlight weaves a pattern bright.
(J. A. H.)
The Cook Graveyard, which lies just below the mouth of a
little run nearly a mile above the mouth of the Little Kanawha,
and more than one hundred poles back from the bank of the Ohio.
It is one of the old burial places of the settlement, but most
assuredly not the oldest, as claimed by some.
It would be impossible at this time to fix the date of the first
burial. The first tombstone on which a date is still legible is
that of John James, 1809. He was, says Mrs. Amiss, a brother
of her grandmother, who was Bennett Cook's wife.
Doubtless, there are many markers older than this, and many
graves without any headstone, and even without any mound
to show where they may have been.
Joseph Cook, a New England Yankee, who had come to the
Marietta colony, bought two hundred acres at this point, on
April 2nd, 1802, or that is the date he received a deed for same.
He may have bought and moved on to the land earlier.
The Cook farm was a part of four hundred acres patented by
William Smith, in 1785. Smith sold his claim to Stephen R.
Wilson, in 1803, by Wilson to Spencer and Lord in March,
1804, and by them transferred to Cook. Spencer was also from
The original graveyard was on a low hill immediately east of
the wide river bottom. It may have been at first a private burying
ground of the Cook family, enlarged for the accommodation of
the neighborhood, and finally developing into a city cemetery
known as Riverview.
The first legal title to the grounds for burial purposes is a deed
made by Pardon Cook and Tillinghast A. Cook, to Trustees, for
an acre of ground. Its exact site cannot be traced from the
document, but it was the western end of the present cemetery.
This deed was dated July 5th, 1843. The grounds were afterward
extended to the west line of Julianna Street, about two hundred
seventy-five feet farther.
The ground occupies a little knoll sloping in all directions, a
low hill with some nearly flat land at its base, and running into
pretty steep banks in the eastern corner. (This is now - 1925 -
being filled and cleaned up). The original burying ground was
the knoll in the western corner. There is something more than
two and a half acres now in the enclosure.
The deed was made by Pardon Cook and his brother, Tillinghast,
who received the home farm from their father, in 1824.
The Trustees names were:
John J. Jackson, Sr. Daniel C. Lovett
William S. Cardner D. Wilkinson
W. F. Coffer James Cook
M. S. Williamson J. G. Stringer
Henderson H. Phelps Alfred Neale
John R. Murdoch Festus Hawks
E. D. Safford (Dr.) James M. Glass
W. H. Safford (Judge) Rebecca Beeson
P. G. Vanwinkle Hugh P. Neal
G. W. Saunders Bennett Cook
D. R. Neal Pardon Cook
G. J. Neal T. A. Cook
S. H. Davenport Paul Cook
(Twenty-six of the leading business men of Parkersburg and
The new cemetery was out in a field near the "Sand Road",
which had been built to Marietta, the first road along the river
having washed away in places, and being too low after the
clearing of the lands, had been moved over to the foot of the
The grounds were fine, though probably grown up and
neglected at the time.
The site would have been ideal for a suburban residence, but
the slope is pretty sharp for a graveyard, but not more than is
Now the grounds are in good condition, well sodded, and shaded
by magnificent elms, and enclosed by a substantial fence. It is
the prettiest burying ground in the vicinity of Parkersburg, and,
save the Mound Cemetery at Marietta, the best I have ever been
in, having a decided advantage in the lay of the ground over the
old graveyard at Ripley.
The trees, unfortunately, have not been doing so well for a few
years, and one of the best of the elms died during the summer of
1922 and 1923, and had to be cut away.
I examined the stump the fall of 1924, and found that the tree had
been perfectly sound, and that, though several inches in diameter,
it had only ninety-five growth rings, which, allowing that it may
have been in existence two years earlier than the rings show, and
that there has been no growth to show for two years past, makes
the date of its first appearance 1824 or 1825.
These trees are all sprouts, seedlings which came up in an already
comparatively old graveyard, which the people had the good sense
and good taste to cherish, rather than destroy.
The land in the graveyard is approximately three fifths on Pardon
Cook's side of the division line, and two fifths on Tillinghast's.
There was a run which headed at the high know on Pole Cat Hill,
by the site of the old waterworks of the city, and flowed across
Julianna Street, just east of the present cemetery, turning at
right angles to the west, and cutting through the long point it
created just north of the Catholic Seminary.
The original burying ground appears to have included the fifth
and tenth rows of graves, from the southern boundary up to
the division line.
On the fifth row, I find -
First next to the hedge, a space for one or more graves, probably
occupied, but nothing to show.
Then, a grave with a thin, crumbling sandstone slab, with
In memory of James S. Barrett, a son of John and Mary Barrett,
1819 - 1842.
John Barrett was one of the leading business men of early
Parkersburg. He owned Lot Thirty-Four, on the west side of
Third Street, below alley. Somewhere, I think, in Riverview
Mary, wife of John Barrett, February 1819, in twenty-fifth year.
Jacob Miller McKinney, 1840 -1903.
Agnes Dils McKinney, 1843 - 1900.
J. W. Hiteschew, 1820 - 1890.
Next is a fine old tree, and by its side the Buckley plot, with
one marked tombstone, set at a later grave -
Thompson Leach Buckley, the dates 1882 -1 897.
There is a head stone with the name John Buckley, the dates
and balance of inscription are crumbled away.
There are other graves - or spaces - but the next legible
inscription is marked -
George Alexander Creel, born January 18th, 1806, died August
17th, 1891. His age would be eighty-five years and six months.
Creel was a son of Thomas Creel, and lived the most of his time
on a lease on his father's land, at the mouth of Spring Run, just
above Claysville. His wife was Prudence Spencer Cook. She
is buried by the side of her husband. She was born February
28th, 1806 and died October 27th, 1865, aged fifty-nine years
and seven months.
Next is a lot, name Houltz, no dates.
Then, Lucy F. Kincheloe, wife of George W. Kincheloe. She
was a daughter of John P. Mayberry, was born July 28th, 1817,
married July 3rd, 1834, died July 24th 1835 (lacking four days of
being eighteen years old). By her side is the grave of a child.
Next grave is George W. Kincheloe, born March 26th, 1806, died
May 22nd, 1840, age thirty-four years and one month. He was
the son of Major Robert Kincheloe. On June 13th, 1837, he was
married a second time. He was in the mercantile business in
Parkersburg and dealt in real estate.
Next, Hannah R. Pennybacker, wife of George W. Kincheloe,
born July 23rd, 1816, died March 10th, 1891. She lived a widow
over fifty years, and was seventy-seven years old when she died.
Next, Elizabeth Neal, wife of Derrick Pennybacker, and daughter
of John Neal. She was born January 7th, 1799, died March 12th,
1875, age seventy-eight years and two months. Her husband
was from Virginia, and was probably a cousin to the Belleville
Pennybackers and to John P. Mayberry. He was in business
with his father-in-law until his death.
After Mrs. Pennybacker, there are two unmarked graves, one
perhaps that of her husband.
Next, a child of a Chevalier.
Next, "Our beloved daughter", Maria Chevalier, died 1853, at
the age of twenty-three.
Next, David Chevalier, died 1866, in his sixtieth year. He was a
steamboat man of early days, and married Susan in 1825. Was
she a daughter of J. J. Sr.
This completes the row of graves which probably reaches the
division line at this point, and the newer part of the cemetery.
It is cut across here by the Jackson lot, which lies in the northern
annex to the original burying ground, and is not subdivided into
lots in uniformity with the first plot.
The sixth row -
The first grave is Mary E., wife of John Barrett, died February
25th, 1819, in the twenty-fifth year of her age.
Next, Mary E., daughter of J. S. & M. E. Barrett, a five month
old child. James S. Barrett is buried at the head of these graves.
The next graves are those of -
Dr. E. D. Stafford, 1819 - 1895, aged seventy-six.
Annie H. Stafford, wife of E. D. Stafford, died Easter Sunday,
1876. There is a marble shaft seven feet high.
Next, Ann T., wife of Dr. E. T. Stafford, died July 21st, aged
Next, Dr. E. T. Stafford, died March 16th, 1840, aged forty-seven.
(One of the Smiths, Channing or Thomas, married a Safford,
daughter of Dr. E. T. Mrs. Waterman, of Honeysuckle Lodge, is
Next, a lot with ivy covered graves, but no headstones.
Next commences the Cook "Family graveyard", with John Cook,
born April 20th, 1778, died March 27th, 1827, aged forty-eight
years, nine months.
Margaret, wife of John Cook, born October 12th, 1783, died
June 26th, 1864, aged eighty years and eight months.
Then a daughter, inscription not readable, and a vacant space,
unoccupied or graves not visible.
Tillinghast A. Cook, born in Bristol County, Massachusetts,
January 23rd, 1790, died August 20th, 1869, aged seventy-nine
years, six months.
Elizabeth, wife of T. A. Cook, born in Washington County, Ohio,
May 30th, 1799, died July 31st, 1863, aged seventy-nine years
and two months. (Was she a Dudley?)
Joseph Dudley, son of T. A. & E. Cook, 1828 - 1839.
Caroline B., wife of Rev. E. Bing, died 1818. She was a daughter
of Tillinghast Cook, was twenty-five years and eight months.
She was a Cook, but if she died in 1818, was not Tillinghast's
Next, a Bing child - 1813 - 1819.
The next marked grave is much later, a monument inscribed
John R. Ebert, died in 1893, aged fifty-five. There was a blank
for his wife, Frances V.
Probably the grave next adjoining is that of Letitia Cook, wife
of George H. Gordon, born 1848, died 1898, aged fifty years.
In the same plot, Julia Maria, wife of Bennett Cook, born March
28th, 1819, died May 8th, 1898, aged seventy-nine years.
Bennett Cook, Jr., born February 8th, 1812, died September
"Brother Charles" (no dates).
Nancy Devol, born July 18th, 1796, died January 17th, 1888,
aged ninety-one years, five months. She was Bennet Cook's
wife's mother. The Devols lived at Devol's Dam, on the
Muskingum River (See History of Washington County).
They were of strong Union sentiment, and Bennett Cook, Jr.
went with his wife's people and counter to his brothers and
Next was the Jackson lot, fenced in and completely crossing
rows four, five, six and seven, in the old graveyard.
On the seventh row adjoining the outside is a massive monument
for H. H. Dils. There are no dates, and no inscriptions visible on
the tall column. On this lot are two graves -
S. T. Dils, 1852 -1903.
H. H. Dils, 1850 - 1895. This would be the son of Sheriff H. H.
Next are two vacant spaces, and then James G. Laidley, died
September, 1821, balance crumbled away.
Corinnal, daughter of James G. and Harriet Laidley, died 1816,
After a space for about four graves, we next come to the
primitive Cook grounds again, with inscriptions for -
Elizabeth, daughter of Paul Cook (no dates) aged sixty-nine.
Paul Cook, born September 19th, 1746, died February 10th,
1826, aged seventy-nine years, four months. He was a
brother of Joseph and uncle of Bennett Cook. (One note
says his will was recorded July 28th, 1824.)
Joseph Cook, died July 28th, 1824, in his seventieth year.
Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Cook. Died February 29th, 18--,
(balance crumbled) in sixty-first year. (Joseph Cook's will
was admitted to probate November term, 1824. Her maiden
name was given as Parker, but it was Barker, probably a
This Joseph Cook and wife were the owners of the farm on
which the graveyard is situated, and parents to the family
at Parkersburg. One author says he came to Wood County
"Mr. Joseph Cook", died August 3rd, 1833, aged thirty-eight.
Clarisssa, wife of Joseph Cook, died in her sixty-eighth year.
Maria D., daughter of J. and C. Cook, 1845, in her thirtieth year.
The Paul Cook is probably a son of this Joseph. This Mr.
Joseph Cook, born in 1795, would necessarily be a twin brother
of Pardon Cook.
Horace Cook, 1831 - 1899.
Anna Rhoades, wife of Horace Cook, born 1829, died 1893.
He was a son of Tillinghast Cook, his wife a sister of Rhoades,
Next are four vacant spaces, the boundary line of the old
cemetery and a walk extending into the new.
In the eighth row -
The first eight grave spaces now not showing former use.
Then, John Henry, a son of David and Elizabeth Blair, died in
1825, a child of ten years.
Next a mouldered sandstone monument with inscription gone.
Then another one on which can be traced "In Mi--", "John
He--", "son of Jacob", and on the footstone the date 1821.
By the side of this child's grave is one marked Jacob Beeson,
died September 3rd, 1823, in his forty-ninth year.
Elizabeth, relict of Jacob Beeson, born April 3rd, 1773, died
August 4th, 1836, aged eighty-nine years, four months.
Next an ornamental monument of sandstone for Elizabeth Blair,
died February 28th, 1835, in her fortieth year.
Next in the row come three apparent vacancies, then -
Thomas James, May 29th, 1809, in his twenty-eighth year.
(Nancy Cook married a James. Probably this is he.)
Henry C. Cook, born May 11th, 1839, died January 25th, 1864.
He was a son of Paul Cook and was killed in the Southern Army.
Near by this is an inscription -
Julia A., consort of Paul Cook, born August 12th, 1812, died
November 1st, 1868.
Paul Cook, October 2nd, 1809, May 28th, 18--. He was a son of
Bennett Cook, and lived on the western side of the old Lyons
farm. His wife was a daughter of Robert Kincheloe.
Next, one vacancy, and then three infant children of Bennett
and Hannah Cook. One died in 1811, when nine months old.
His name was James, as was also another son, born 1814, who
grew up (see below).
Next are three graves covered by slabs of sandstone -
Hannah, daughter of Bennett and Hannah Cook, July 7th,
1807 - October 30th, 1823, aged sixteen years.
Bennett Cook, born October 3rd, 1776, died October 6th,
1845. (Aged sixty-nine years and three days.)
Hannah, consort of Bennett Cook, born December 8th, 1771,
died May 2nd, 1813. She was a daughter of John James,
married a Johnson, and after his death, married Cook, in
1806. There would seem to be a mistake about the date of
death of Hannah Cook, for James Cook was born in 1814.
Last in the row are three short graves, an infant, Bennett,
Laura, and Jeptha, children of James and Sophronia Cook.
The ninth row -
There are four graves of later date, Stephens children.
Next, three spaces, which, if ever occupied, the mounds
are not now discernible.
Then an old crumbled sandstone, with the inscription -
"Sarah, wife of James Minneare, who departed this life,
January 17th, 1826, in the twenty-eighth year of her age."
"It is but a moment, a pang and no more,
A struggle, and then to be free
'Tis the spirits last look, in a journey that's sore,
Oh! Death has no terrors for me."
James Minear married Eliza Ruble, in 1828.
Next, a child's grave with an old sandstone marker, broken
off at the ground.
Then two children's graves, with faces crumbled off of
headstones, probably Minear's children.
Next a large ornamental sandstone marker with both faces
gone. (before this, spaces for three graves.)
After the defaced sandstone, there is room for three graves,
perhaps occupied, but not showing any sign now.
Next, an old mouldered sandstone, at grave of a child of
Barker and Mary Cook.
Next two spaces.
Next, a broken mouldered slab with part of an inscription,
----------, son of Bathsheba --------, --------parted--------.
Next, three or four spaces with no (visible) graves.
Then, Sophia, daughter of James and Sophia Cook, 1858 -
1869, seventeen years old.
James Cook, born January 18th, 1814, died May 4th, 1870.
Then, Sophia Kincheloe, wife of James Cook, born April 2nd,
1815, died May 26th, 1886.
Mary J., daughter of James and Sophia Cook, born April 6th,
1855, died September 21st, 1906.
Then two spaces apparently unoccupied.
Then at the end of the row of graves, one of the finest of the
many magnificent elm trees in the cemetery.
Beyond this tree, and outside the original graveyard, probably
across the division line, is the Van Winkle lot, fenced across
this row of graves in the old cemetery.
Tenth row -
The first four spaces have at least two old unmarked graves.
Then Mary E., wife of Samuel Bacon, born at Edenton, N. C.,
June, 1812, died April, 1892.
Next, Samuel Bacon, born at Norfolk, Va., December, 1807,
died August, 1875.
Then an old unmarked grave.
Then an old crumbled stone with an old fashioned snow ball
bush growing on the grave at the head of the stone. A
monument at the foot is inscribed William L. Howard, born at
Sheperdstown, Va., 1833, died 1897, and -
Sarah S. Howard, died 1872, aged fifty-seven years.
Then several spaces unmarked or unoccupied.
Then an old grave with unreadable inscription.
Next, set farther down slope from the ninth row, Jonas Beeson,
Esq., born June 10, 1770, died February 16th, 1842, aged
Rebecca Beeson, April 30th, 1786, July 20th, 1874, "In her
eighty-ninth year". She was a Tomlinson, daughter of Benjamin.
The next three spaces without visible graves.
Then, Mary Kinnaird, September, 1785 - March, 1873.
John A. Kinnaird, born in Culpepper County, Virginia, born
September 1st, 1777, died May 2nd, 1850.
Then three Kinnaird children's graves.
Next an unmarked grave by a big elm tree.
Then the fence of the Van Winkle lot.
There are three other rows of graves, reaching to the foot of
the hill, with dates largely in the forties, fifties and sixties.
The first grave in the twelvth row of graves is that of "The
faithful old sexton"., Matthew Gatewood, died May 11th, 1890.
On Decoration Day, 1924, there was a flag at Gatewood's grave.
John P. Mayberry, died November 15th, 1866, aged seventy-six
years, eight months.
Lucy Fearing, his wife, born October 2nd, 1796, died June 15th,
1886. "This mortal hath put on immortality".
George Mayberry (a son) July 14th, 1819 - July 19th, 1870.
Frances E. Kincheloe, his wife, May 19th, 1823 - September 16th,
Lucy Fearing Mayberry, married George W. Kincheloe, 1834.
She was born July 28th, 1817, died July 24th, 1835.
John P. Mayberry was a leader of the Whig party in Wood County,
a prominent attorney, and kept store in the old brick at the corner
of Court and Julianna Streets, where the Smith Brothers now are.
Isaac Mayberry, who died a few years later, was a brother, a
prominent and respected citizen of old time Parkersburg. It was
once said John P. Mayberry was as good a man as ever lived in
Nimrod Saunders' grave lies to the west of the driveway, and near
the outside of the cemetery. He came from Prince William County,
with the Creels. He was born in 1774, died in 1843, aged sixty-nine.
Sarah Creel, widow of Captain N. Saunders, born in Prince William
County, Virginia, October 16th, 1783, died April 19th, 1883, aged
ninety-nine years, six months. She was a daughter of George Creel.
She lacked less than six months of living one hundred years, and
lived a widow for forty years.
Mary A. Welles (a daughter of Paul and Julia Cook) Born October
31st, 1841, died December 28th, 1881.
Edward Lyman Welles, Decemer 26th, 1838 - December 28th, 1868.
Hattie, wife of George Welles, died 1865, aged thirty-two.
George A. Welles, February 15th, 1865, aged thirty-two.
Harriet was a daughter of Paul Cook. Her husband died with
tuberculosis shortly after marriage, and his wife with the same
several years later.