Wood County is located along the western edge of the state and is bordered by the Ohio River. It
was created in 1798 from the western part of Harrison County.
It was named in honor of James Wood, the governor of Virginia at the time. The county seat is
Parkersburg, named for Alexander Parker who once owned the land the city now sits on.
The first permanent settler is generally thought to be Captain James Neal
formerly of Greene County, PA. Other familiar names in early Wood County
history include Anderson, Barnett, Cook Deem, Gates, Kelly, Kincheloe, Leach, McPherson,
Mitchell, Page, Pennybacker, Prince, Rolston, Spencer, and Tomlinson.
Counties later formed from Wood include:
For more in-depth information, see: