A BETTER AND HAPPIER CLASS OF PEOPLE
More Ranch News -- Something About The People And Ranches Along Soldier Creek, Wolf Creek, Five-Mile, Pass Creek, Etc. -- Northern Part Of Co., Looking Good -- Parkman, A Prosperous Village, Surrounded By A Fine Ranching Country -- Much Grain Grown Without Irrigation -- Many Storage Reservoirs In Use, And Many More Being Constructed
A few days ago, while driving, a Post representative called upon the ranchmen living along Solider creek, and was surprised to find so much evident prosperity. The hills were green with the native grass while the valleys were dressed in a luxuriant garb of alfalfa and growing grain, and the whole was dotted with comfortable homes and good out buildings. Fat, sleek horses and cattle were on every hand, while the smile upon the cheeks of the children and wives and husbands gave evidence of prosperity and contentment.
Just above the mouth of Soldier creek Geo. W. Downer, who runs the Central Meat market in Sheridan has a dandy little ranch, which is this year being worked by James Weaver, who is raising hay and grain.
Passing up the creek, the Hill place, now owned by W. A. Granger was reached. This is a nice quarter-section, with sixty acres watered, and good buildings. This spring Mr. Granger sowed considerable grain, and put out a lot of fruit trees and shrubbery.
Just above Mr. Granger, Elias Mydland has 140 acres of fertile Soldier creek soil. He has been on the place nine years, and has a young orchard and considerable small fruit. Mr. M. supplies Fort Mackenzie with butter and eggs and milk.
G. W. Field, who was formerly employed on L. H. Brooks' Tongue river ranch, has leased the L. H. Colby ranch of 160 acres. He has in some grain and alfalfa - eighty acres under ditch. This place contains a young orchard with some small fruit. Mr. Colby has removed to Sheridan.
L. C. Tidball is one of the old-timers on Soldier creek, having resided there 21 years. He has a good house on his 160-acre place, where he has seventy-five acres in grain. Mr. Tidball leases 240 acres of Wyoming's domain.
Thos. Brennan, a former railroad man is trying his hand at ranching in Wyoming this year. He is on W. C. Reid's place, where he controls 160 acres of deeded land and 660 acres of leased area. Mr. Brennan waters ninety-five acres, and has twenty in grain.
This is L. C. Barker's fourth year on E. A. Whitney's Soldier creek ranch, which comprises a half-section of deeded and 1700 acres of leased land. Two hundred acres of this place is watered. Mr. Barker owns a good farm on Five Mile.
Four years ago J. M. Hults came from the Cherokee Nation and bought the Oliver Kerr ranch, of 160 acres, which he farms himself. Mr. Hults waters seventy acres upon which he raises alfalfa, wheat and oats. Mr. Hults' daughter, Miss Fannie, returned a few days ago from school, at Warrensburg, Mo.
W. H. Robinson, formerly of Big Horn, has a section and a quarter of fine bench land north of Soldier creek. At present he irrigates by 65 acres. When the Post man was there, Mr. Clubb, the well man, was busy drilling for water, with some success.
During November, 1903, E. G. Reeder bought the Guy Woods place, 160 acres with 480 acres of leased land and moved onto it. During the year 1904 Mr. Reeder sold and hauled to Sheridan $1,300 worth of hay and other products of the farm. Besides, nearly the whole of the living for his family came off the farm. Mr. Reeder irrigates 100 acres, of which 20 are in grain. He has fifty nice fruit trees, and some young fruit.
J. W. Allen has resided twenty years on Soldier creek where he has a good big house and a half section of fine land, all of which is under ditch but twenty acres. He has a state lease of 520 acres, and has sixty-five acres in grain.
W. W. Warriner thinks he has lived in a log house long enough, and now Lyman Roberts is busy finishing a new frame structure for him. The structure is 26 x 40, and modern in appointments. Mr. Warriner has a half section of deeded and 1,080 of leased land. He waters 125 acres, fifteen of which are in small grain.
Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Brinegar have a half section of good land, lying on the north side of Soldier creek. They irrigate eighty acres, and have twenty acres in small grain. When the Post representative called, Mr. Brinegar was sick in bed.
M. L. Sawin is one of the old -timers and substantial ranchmen of Sheridan county. He has a well-improved place in the heart of the "PK" ranch, where he raises plenty of apples and small fruit. Mr. S. bought this place three years ago. After going west to locate, he concluded that Northern Wyoming was the best place for him.
E. B. Viall has 480 acres of the finest land on Soldier creek, where he also lives in a $10,000 house. Mr. Viall is an extensive grower of sheep, and is well off. He is a radical socialist, and wants the people to know it.
The "PK" ranch was taken up in 1880, and is now owned by A. S. Patrick, his nephew, J. E. Patrick being the very capable and obliging foreman. The place contains 4,000 acres of deeded land, as well as a large lease of state land. One thousand acres are irrigated from Big Goose and Solider creeks, and 170 acres are planted to grain this season. Twelve hundred head of cattle, some horses and a nice bunch of hogs are owned on the place. Mr. Patrick is just starting in the hog business, and is building a lot of sheds for the animals which are possessed of the devil.
Passing over to lower Wolf creek, the Post representative stopped at the Aber ranch, and could not get away until morning. He found that the Abers were not only very hospitable people, but that they had one of the larges bodies of fine land in Sheridan county. They have lots of stock, and make a specialty of raising the best Norman horses. Some of the best brood mares in the state are to be seen at this ranch.
Rohwedder Bros. own 200 acres of good soil, on Soldier creek. They live on what was formerly known as the Shield's place, where they water 100 acres and have sown forty to grain. They are intelligent, reliable farmers.
John Peterson has no one to share the joys and sorrows of this life with him, but has a nice house and 160 acres of well improved land. Sixty acres of this place are under ditch.
Everybody knows Harry J. Nichols, or ought to, as he has been here since 1879. On Wolf creek he owns 520 acres, with water for all but one forty. Mr. N. has a nice, large house, and the other ranch buildings are good.
C. E. Walter is running the McGrath place for E. A. Whitney, and this year has in seventy-five acres of grain. This place contains 520 acres, 225 of which are watered and produce 300 tons of hay yearly. Like most of the ranches of that section, this place is connected with Sheridan and other points by telephone.
All visitors at the O4 ranch are used well, and the Post man was shown every courtesy when he called, by Col. S. H. Hardin, principal owner of the ranch and one of the very first men in Sheridan county, having settled here in 1880. Jack McIlvain is associated with Mr. Hardin in the ownership and management of the ranch, while Vaughn Inskeep is their able foreman. This place contains 1,700 acres, 140 acres have been seeded to gain this season. The owners have one of the nicest ranch houses in the state.
Just above Ranchester, W. J. Barker, formerly of Illinois, has two and one-half sections of good land, on Five-Mile flats. He has in this year 130 acres of grain and also irrigates thirty acres of hay. The whole of Mr. Baker's place is susceptible of irrigation, and this will be done when the system of reservoirs which he has started to build have been completed. One reservoir is finished. It covers 11 acres in a depth of 12 feet, and is now full of flood and ditch waters.
Del Parsons has been in the country twenty years, and has 240 acres on Five-Mile. He has a reservoir and a right out of the creek, and can irrigate practically all of his place. He sowed fifteen acres of grain this season.
For nineteen years Milton Carter has seen Wyoming's sun come up and go down. During that time he has acquired title to 480 acres of her virgin soil. He is growing thirty-five acres of grain this season. On this nice little ranch Mr. Carter has a nice patch of small fruit.
A. A. Underwood & Sons have 900 acres of ground, which is covered by two private reservoirs. They have twenty-five acres in grain, and irrigate some hay land. The Underwoods have been in the county seven years.
Perry Cooper, the man who hunts the big wolves and finds them, has a section of good soil, which is under reservoirs and ditches. He irrigates 100 acres, twenty of which are in grain.
Robt. Niver is one of Sheridan county's one-time residents and substantial farmers. He has a half section of nice land on Five-Mile, and is irrigating seventy acres of hay and thirty of grain. On the place is to be found a young orchard, with some small fruit.
After being away two years in Boise, Idaho, A. H. Polly has returned to his former love. This spring he built a neat house on his 160-acre ranch, and is otherwise improving the place. He waters ninety acres, twenty of which are in grain.
Chas. Hilton came to Sheridan county fifteen years ago, and engaged in the line of stock business. He now has a half section of land, and 50 head of cattle, as well as a good mine on the head of Owl creek.
J. W. Anderson is away up next to the Montana line, on the head of Six-Mile creek, where he has a half section, and raises grain successfully without irrigation. He has been in the state ten years.
Edward Owen now owns the old Tim Hersey horse ranch on Five-Mile, where he has 480 acres, with a splendid house on it; also a state lease of 800 acres. Mr. Owen has a big reservoir on his place, but owing to the light fall of snow during the past winter he succeeded in getting it only about half filled.
Fred Owen lives just below Edward, and has a half interest in the above reservoir, which covers twenty acres to an average depth of twenty feet. Fred has a half section of nice land, twenty acres of which is in grain.
Elmer Owen and family have a nice place to live, on the head of Five-Mile creek, where they have resided twelve years, and the home is surrounded by a fine lawn, shade trees and a nice orchard of apples, pears and small fruit. On the place is a reservoir, which covers thirteen acres to an average depth of seventeen feet. It is filled by water from the creek and by flood water. Mr. Owen raises high-grade Hereford cattle.
A. J. Dickson of Dayton is teaching a summer term of school in the upper Five-Mile school house, where he has an attendance of fifteen pupils.
Wm. Friel is a breeder of fine Percheron horses. He has a dry ranch of 320 acres, thirty acres of which is this year growing nice small grain.
B. F. Barker has a dry ranch of 320 acres, where he keeps a nice, small bunch of cattle and raises some grain. He has been on the place eight years, and is now building a reservoir. Mr. Barker's sons, John and Frank, work at the Tongue river coal mines.
E. E. Bassett raises all kinds of garden truck very successfully without irrigation, and supplies much produce to Parkman and the mining camps. He has a half section of land, and a few head of stock.
"Parkman on the hill" is not "on the hog" by any means. Here, E T. Polly and Mrs. Julia Gartside each conducts a very extensive business in all sorts of ranch supplies. They carry a good assortment, and are able to make very satisfactory prices to the ranch people. Mrs. J. S. Honnold keeps the Parkman hotel in a very tidy state, and gives the hungry traveler "something to eat." Dr. A. T. Taggart has drugs, and attends to the ills of human flesh in the Parkman community. Sherman Stark runs a livery and feed stable, while W. M. Mattox, who has had twenty years experience as a blacksmith, has an up-to-date shop. It is dry at Parkman, but Dave Yarlot will see to it that no one goes thirsty.
The Burlington's office in this town is well looked after by Agent J. S. Honnold, who has served three years at this post. It is estimated that during the year 1904 the outgoing business at the Parkman station was eight cars of wheat and two of oats; 486 cars of cattle; sheep, 71 cars; horses, 14 cars; hogs, 1 car; wool, 3 cars; emigrant goods, 1 car. During 1904, all but twenty-six cars of cattle were billed to Chicago. The merchandise received at the Parkman station for the past two years was something like 498,600 pounds in 1903, and 525,800 pounds in 1904. During the past year 6 cars of salt, 1 of flour, 1 emigrant car, 5 of corn, 2 of lumber and 18 of coal were received. The earnings of the station for the years 1904 were approximately $9,400.
Miss Jessie Welty has just completed a highly satisfactory year of school at Parkman, and has been enjoying a visit from her father, Judge Welty, of Cambridge, Neb, who returned to his home Sunday.
Upon leaving Parkman for Slack via the lower road, the first ranchman the Post representative encountered was W. O. Wilson, an old-timer in the country, who has read The Post since its first issue. He has 400 acres of grain, a few fine Short Horn milch cows, forty head of stock cattle, a fine Percheron stallion, and is constructing a reservoir which will cover twelve acres of ground to a depth of ten feet.
Wm. and Josh Eggart have 400 acres of ground, upon which they have just completed a new frame house. They have 100 head of cattle, and raise some grain.
W. W. Collins has a dry ranch of 320 acres, and raises horses and cattle.
Frank Baker and family have lived in a log cabin for twenty years, but they are going to quit it soon. Mr. Baker will have completed a fine frame house, which is 22 x 24, with an "L" 14 x 20, the whole, one and a half stories high. Mr. B. has 480 acres of land, thirty of which are in grain.
Bert Bales has 260 acres of [land] on Twin creek, sixty of which is in grain. He completed a good house last fall and these are not all of Mr. B.'s possessions. He is the daddy of a bright, new son, which came to his home but two or three weeks ago.
Walter Bales and his sons, Redmond and Lorin, have in 220 acres of grain this season. Mr. B. has 231 acres of deeded and 600 acres of state land. He has a good water right, out of Twin creek.
Al L. Barrett came to Wyoming six years ago, and this is his third year on Jack Kennedy's 320-acre ranch, where he water 70 acres, twenty -five of which are in grain. Mr. Barrett is a young bachelor.
W. E. Johnson removed to Wyoming from Kansas two months ago, and with his family is occupying a house on Ed. Dana's ranch, where he is employed.
E. L. Dana has 4,000 acres of superior land on Pass creek, half of which is under ditch, and 150 acres are in grain. Mr. Dana pays more taxes than any other man in Sheridan county. He has a large lease on the Crow Indian reservation, and runs about 5,000 head of cattle. James Buffer and wife live in one of Mr. Dana's houses, having been on the ranch nine years.
Thos. A. Powers came to Wyoming, in 1886, and has 160 acres of land, 100 of which are watered, and in grain and hay. Mr. Powers has a nice lawn and several ponds of native fish. Himself and his good wife have fish and bird game whenever they want them.
J. W. Church owns 1,000 acres of good Pass creek land, upon which he has constructed a large modern house. Seven hundred acres of his land is watered, and 100 acres are planted to wheat and oats. He runs 300 head of Short Horn cattle.
Charles L. Colley adjoins Mr. Grass on the south and west, and has 1,260 acres, 200 or 300 of which is well watered. He has sown fifty acres of grain this season. Mr. C. has seventy-five head of cattle, and some good draft horses. On the place there is a nice young orchard, some of the trees being in bearing.
J. F. Smith is one of our old timers, having been in the country twenty-two years. He has 320 acres which is now leased to J. A. Hines, who is raising plenty of hay and grain.
Jacob Markert has a quarter section of land on Twin creek and 120 acres on Columbus creek, where he raises grain and hay successfully without irrigation. He has a bunch of horses and cows, and owns the black stallion, "Carobas."
J. A. Harding owns a 200-acre place on Twin creek, where he produces hay and grain. Mr. Harding has about thirty head of cattle and some horses.
Ed. Whitcomb is another old-timer here. He has a quarter section of good land on Columbus creek.
J.A. Laning came to the country twenty years ago, and has a nice 160-acre ranch on Columbus creek.
Israel Didelot and son own 400 acres on Columbus creek. They are hustlers and are improving their place.
Art Cossett and his father-in-law, Hiram Brittain, own a section of land on Columbus creek, where they raise horses and cattle extensively, and produce some grain.
Mr. Dipp has been nine years on Columbus creek, where he has a quarter section of land, and runs a nice bunch of horses and cattle.
Two years ago H. H. Hamilton came from Iowa and bought the Calvin Cooley place. He has 720 acres of deeded land, 200 of which are watered, and forty in grain. Mr. H. has 200 head of nice cattle. He has also started a young orchard.
Al Page came to Montana in 1878, and since 1890 has been living on his present Twin creek ranch, which contains 1,280 acres of deeded ground and a section of state land. He waters 150 acres, which is all in hay, and runs several hundred head of cattle.
Ed Didelot has 320 acres of land just south-west of Parkman, where he is building a reservoir.
Three years ago E. G. Moore came from Iowa and bought the J. K. Walsh ranch, just west of Parkman. His place comprises 960 acres deeded and 240 acres of Wyoming lease land. At present he waters eighty acres of hay, and has fifty acres of small grain on dry land. He is now building a reservoir, which will water 200 acres of ground. Mr. Moore has eighty head of cattle and some nice horses. He is justice of the peace in his precinct. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are very entertaining and hospitable people.
John W. Kline is in possession of 400 acres of uplands a mile south of Parkman, and raises grain successfully without irrigation.
Getting back to the Five-Mile flats, two of the best improved ranches are owned by the Wallace brothers. They each have half a section of fine land. W. H. raised 1200 bushels of wheat last year, and 200 tons of hay. John D. cuts 200 tons of hay annually, and raises grain also. Both men have considerable stock. They have in contemplation a reservoir, which will irrigate 160 acres.
J. W. Bill came to America from "Hold Hengland" in 1872, and has been in this part of Wyoming since 1883, coming here from Colorado. He has nice buildings, 320 acres of good irrigated land, 115 head of cattle, and a bearing orchard. His place cuts 150 to 200 tons of hay each year. Fifty acres are sown to grain this season. Mr. Bill is a prince of good fellows and Mrs. Bill knows how to make a stranger feel at ease in her home.
J. Coal is on Mrs. Veach's nice 160-acre place, south of Parkman. He raises some good stock, hay and grain. This ranch has a comfortable house.
Wm. Wagner has 1,000 acres of nice land on Five-Mile creek, where he already has one reservoir in use which cost $500, and is now building another, the dam of which will require 18,000 yards of earth, and will irrigate 480 acres of land. F. A. Hart is doing the work on the new reservoir.
Manuel Achenbach has 800 acres of Mother earth, and waters 160 acres. He cuts 250 to 300 tons of hay annually, and raises some good grain without water.
Edward Steele and his brother have nearly a section of good land on Five Mile, where they run upwards of 100 head of cattle and produce hay and grain.
Samuel Sheeley has a good stock ranch of 2,400 acres on and near the flats. Four hundred acres of this is deeded and 1,000 acres is lease land. He irrigates quite a large acreage, raises hay and grain, and has a good bunch of cattle.
After getting back from the editorial excursion trip, I hope to be able to visit the ranches of Sheridan county which I have not seen up to this time.
Last Updated April 2005
Copyright 2001-2005 -- All Rights Reserved