A BETTER AND HAPPIER CLASS OF PEOPLE
More About Ranches -- A Post Representative Visited Prairie Dog And Dutch Creek Ranchmen Last Week -- Found Them In The Midst Of Haying -- On Prairie Dog The Alfalfa And Timothy Are Heavy Crops, As Are The Wheat And Oats -- Dutch Creek Wild Hay Is Not Yielding As Heavily As Usual, But Is A Very Fine Quality
Last week J. F. Mills of the Post called upon the ranch people on a part of Prairie Dog and on the Dutch creeks and a few men on Piney creek. He was not surprised to find that the range was excellent and cattle looking well. Many ranchmen were getting ready to ship cattle, while most of them were busy with a heavy crop of hay.
Stopping at the Andy Eads place, four miles east of town, the writer found T. Long in charge and busy with his hay. Mr. and Mrs. Eads are now at the National park.
O. H. Pointer is on his father, V. W. Pointer's 260-acre ranch, which has 100 acres under water, twenty acres of which are in grain this season. Mr. Pointer was busy putting up a big crop of hay. The Pointers came from Iowa three years ago.
This is E. W. Scott's first year on Tom Stout's Prairie Dog ranch, which contains 215 acres and has 150 acres under ditch, with 45 acres in grain. The grain is heavy, as is the first crop of hay. On this place Wah Lee, You Toy and Wong Tom have 12 acres in garden truck and are making a big success of the undertaking.
James Burns is one of the greatest workers in the country. He can run a buck-rake, drive a stacker team and talk to a newspaper man all at the same time. Mr. Burns' worst grievance at the present time is because the railroad killed cattle for him and now refuse to pay for them. It looks as though a farmer ought to have pay for stock carelessly killed by a railroad. They get it in other states. Mr. Burns has a 320-acre ranch on Prairie Dog creek.
Si. Mayo is foreman of Rash Burns' 360-acre ranch on Prairie Dog creek, where 300 acres are watered, and 40 acres in grain. Mr. Mayo expects that the tonnage of his first crop of hay will aggregate 500 tons.
T. A. Bell, who has a 320-acre ranch on Dutch creek which he is improving by building reservoirs and ditches, is on Zach. Bryant's 160-acre Prairie Dog ranch. More than half of this place is under ditch, and it cuts a lot of good hay.
John and Fred Bell have a stone quarry on Dutch creek. The Burlington company put a sidetrack on the E. D. Green ranch, where the Bell brothers load large quantities of rock for Sheridan. J. K. Walsh handles their product. It is delivered on board the cars for $1.28 a perch.
H. Teich has been in Wyoming ten years, and on his Prairie Dog ranch eight years. Here he owns 480 acres of good soil, 125 of which is irrigated. Sixty acres is in grain. When the Post man called Mr. T. and his two grown sons were busy stacking some excellent timothy hay.
C. Verley is this year working the C. W. Morey place, now owned by Dave Kahn. This ranch comprises 1,200 acres of deeded land, besides a state lease. About 200 acres are watered, with 55 acres in small grain. This ranch cuts from 300 to 500 tons of hay each season. Mr. Verley is making noticeable improvements in the appearance of the place.
W. M. Symons has 700 acres of land on Dutch creek, where he puts up considerable hay and runs fifty head of cattle. Mr. Simmons has a good ranch on lower Tongue river. He is one of the old-timers in the country, having been here twenty years.
Thompson Wood owns 446 acres of Dutch creek land, where he raised hay. He has been on the place twenty-one years and has succeeded well.
Frank Hunter and wife are holding down a 320-acre hay ranch on Dutch creek. Here they also raise grain and vegetables successfully without irrigation. Mr. Hunter came to the country in 1879, when a small boy. He carried the stakes for the engineer when Sheridan was laid out. He has property in town.
Lupe Bailey has a homestead on the head of Dutch creek having been on his place three years. Last week he was helping Frank Hunter with his hay
E. J. Frank, a B. & M. engineer, has taken up a homestead and built a house on it, near the railroad, above Frank Hunter's place. He will soon remove his family to the homestead.
Spear Bros. have a ranch on Dutch creek, where they raise considerable hay and grain without irrigation. Louie Nelson is in charge of the place
Ed. Green lives sixteen miles from Sheridan on Dutch creek near the railroad. His 480-acre ranch usually cuts 300 tons of fine wild hay, but this year only half that much will be harvested. The dry weather last fall and early in the spring seems to be responsible for the short crop. At his place Mr. Green raises alfalfa successfully without irrigation. He has 125 head of cattle, and has been on the creek since 1885. Mr. G. now lives on the place which he bought of S. P. Case, and also owns his former ranch. He has a good house.
Dutch creek ranchmen think that the prices of stock cattle are looking up. They say that cows and calves which in the spring were offered for $22, are now priced at $30 to $35.
A. P. Dow has a 160-acre homestead and some leased land on the south fork of Dutch creek. He waters 30 acres, raises grain, hay, fruit, strawberries, etc. Mrs. Dow has been on the creek since 1884. He runs fifty head of cattle and a few head of horses.
J. E. Garner bought and moved onto the Patton ranch last spring. This place contains 480 acres, with a good house, and cost Mr. Garner $5,500. It cuts about 250 tons of hay. Mr. Garner was formerly a B. & M. trackman.
Geo. Means and wife are on a homestead at the head of Dutch creek. Mr. Means worked in the rock quarry last year and is now engaged in building some reservoirs, to be used to hold stock water, for Spear Bros. These reservoirs are on Badger, Jim and other creeks, and the dams are being constructed thirteen feet high and seventy-five feet long.
M. D. Jones, who came here from the Pacific coast country in October, 1903, has settled on a homestead on the north prong of Dutch creek, where also his son-in-law, Lee Weir, has taken up a claim. They are building fences and reservoirs, and in a short time will have good little ranches.
A. R. Laier, the jolly good Dutchman who used to be connected with the City bakery, is making quite a success of ranching on Dutch creek, just below Verona, where he has 480 acres of land. The place cuts 100 tons of hay, and Mr. Laier runs 100 head of cattle. Mr. and Mrs. Laier have a nice little girl, one and a half years old.
O. A. Roode runs the B. & M. company's business at Verona, where a great deal of stock is shipped out and in. Mr. Roode has been at the station three years. He has a homestead near the depot. On Thursday morning of last week he began work again, after a month's lay-off, during which he visited his parents at Lincoln.
Just above Verona W. J. Hampton has an improved homestead and some leased land. He has been in the country eighteen years and on his present ranch seven years. Mr. Hampton has upwards of one hundred head of cattle, has a good house and other buildings, and appears to be prosperous.
The Coleman brothers, J. E., W. H., N. R. and O. A., all have homesteads on the railroad prong of Dutch creek, between Verona and Ulm. They raise hay and grain and run considerable stock. They have been on their places five years.
Ulm, which is a night station, has a new operator and agent in Louis Creller, who just came to that place from Kansas City.
H. A. McLimans has been the "Skexion Boss" at Ulm four and one-half years, and seems to have no trouble in holding his job. Mr. McLimans has been ranching a little on the side and now has 100 head of cattle.
The new county road from the mouth of Piney creek to Ulm is all completed to within a quarter of a mile of Ulm. The erection of two small bridges will complete the road. The ranchmen say they have apparently waited in vain for the railroad company to put in stock yards at Ulm. They say the yards would be a big accommodation to them.
Moncreiffe's big pasture and cattle near Ulm are taken care of this season by J. T. Crownover, who succeeded Lee Moody.
A. B. Williams hauled the machinery for the water grist mill to Sheridan from Rock Creek, coming to this country first in 1882, and is eligible to be counted as one of your old-timers. He now has 800 acres of land on Piney creek, southwest of Ulm. About half of Mr. W.'s place is watered. He puts up a lot of good hay, has 50 acres in grain and runs a nice bunch of cattle.
Al. Williams lives near his younger brother on Piney creek, where he owns 560 acres of good bottom land. Mr. W. has a large stone barn and other good buildings. He has been with us since 1879. When the Post man was there Mr. W. was busy getting his haying machinery in condition to put up a heavy crop of alfalfa and timothy.
Last Updated April 2005
Copyright 2001-2005 -- All Rights Reserved