Search billions of records on

US GenWeb Project Logo

Sheridan County Wyoming
GenWeb Project

Wyoming Flag
Wyoming GenWeb Project Logo
Search This Site

powered by FreeFind

Birth, Death, and Marriage Records

Books and Lookups

Cemeteries and Funeral Homes

Census, Directories, Lists


Forts and Battlefields

History, Geography, Land

Immigration and Naturalization

Mailing Lists, Surname Registries, and Message Boards

Obituaries, Biographies, and Stories

Photo Gallery

Schools, Alumni

Genealogy Links

History Links

Sheridan County Obituaries

French, C.C.

Sheridan Press, Thursday, September 3, 1953, page 1

Sheridan Man State's 118th Traffic Death

C.C. French, 65, who resided south of Sheridan on the Buffalo star route, was killed Wednesday afternoon on Highway 14-16 near Spotted Horse when the automobile he was in went out of control and overturned.

Mrs. French, according to reports, is doing well since she sustained only bruises and cuts in the accident. A friend, Mrs. Lora K. Lindsey, 63, of 57 West Second street, Sheridan, was reported this morning as improving from the serious injuries she suffered. Both are patients in the Gillette hospital.

They were in route to Hot Springs, S.D., to visit a sister of  Mr. French when the accident occurred.

Although information on the life of Mr. French was unavailable at press time today, it was learned that he had moved to this locality only three or four years ago, and that he had ranched for many years near Lodge Grass, Mont.

Among the survivors in addition to his wife are two sons, Lester, who also resides in Montana, and Arthur, whose residence was unavailable.

The traffic fatality was the 118th of the year for Wyoming. The accident was investigated by Campbell County Sheriff Ted Holdeman, who said he was unable to determine which of the three was driving the car.

Champion's funeral home is in charge of arrangements which are not complete, pending the arrival of the two sons and other relatives of Mr. French.

French, Howard

Sheridan Post, Friday, March 29, 1912, page 6

Howard French Hurt
Peculiar Runaway accident - Horse Frightened at Motor Cycle

Howard French was run over by a frightened horse belonging to W.E. Foley, proprietor of the Bee Hive furniture store, Wednesday evening, and sustained injuries that may result seriously. The accident occurred on the pavement on the north side of Grinnell avenue, near Hicks' second-hand store, and Mr. French was taken to the City hall, where he received surgical attention and was then taken to his home in an automobile.

Mr. French was on his way to the City hall and was unconscious of any danger when a horse belonging to Mr. Foley, which was standing in front of the store, took fright at a motor cycle, and started to run. The animal took a few jumps along the street and then leaped to the sidewalk, directly behind Mr. French, striking him and knocking him down, and as it whirled both its hind feet struck Mr. French in the breast.

A gash was cut in Mr. French's head where he struck the pavement, but this wound is not serious. If his injuries prove serious it will be on account of the blow from the horse's feet.

Today's developments indicate that Mr. French's injuries are more serious than they seemed at first. It is now evident that he has been injured internally, and has been suffering sever pain ever since the accident. There is evidence of inflammation in both the pleural and abdominal cavities, and his condition at present is critical

Sheridan Post, Tuesday, April 2, 1912, page 4

Death of Howard French

Howard French, one of the best known residents of Sheridan county, died Saturday morning at 10 o'clock, at his home, 415 South Brooks street, his death be-being [sic] due to injuries he received Thursday evening, when he was knocked down and kicked by a runaway horse. Funeral services were held at the home yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock, conducted by Bishop N. S. Thomas and Dean Edward M. Cross of the Episcopal church. Interment was made at Mount Hope.

Mr. French was passing along the sidewalk on the north side of Grinnell avenue, on his way to the City hall, when the accident occurred which cost him his life. A horse, belonging to W.E. Foley, standing in front of the Bee Hive store, took fright at a motor cycle, and bolting across the sidewalk, struck Mr. French and knocked him down. In turning the horse slipped and both its hind feet struck Mr. French in the side and breast.

He was removed to his home, and at first it was thought the injuries were not serious, but later, inflammation set in and he grew constantly worse until death resulted, Saturday morning.

Deceased was born in Plymouth, N.H., October 22, 1852, but that was his home only a short time. When he was only a child of two years his parents moved to Painesville, O., and there the early years of his childhood were spent.

When the war broke out the elder Mr. French at once entered the service, but before going south he moved his family to Lynwood, a suburb of Cincinnati, where they remained until the close of the war. While in the army, the father of the deceased made such a splendid record that at the closing of the hostilities he was appointed to an important federal position and removed with the family to Edenton, N.C., where they remained during reconstrucion days.

Col. French, the father, was elected to congress from North Carolina, and was made sergeant-at-arms of the senate, and for many years the family home was in Washington. It was not until the early nineties that deceased decided to come west, finally locating to Boise City, where for a number of years he served as warden of the state penitentiary.

It was while he was a resident of Boise City that he met Miss Julia Hall, who on July 24, 1894, became his wife. A year later they moved to Sheridan and deceased accepted a position as manager of the Dome Lake club and spent a number of years at the pleasure resort. Later they moved to Sheridan, which was ever afterwards their home. For two years, beginning in 1900, Mr. French was the lessor of the Sheridan Inn.

No children were ever born to Mr. and Mrs. French, and the only near relative by whom he is survived is his wife. His brother Edward, who for many years made his home here, died a little over a year ago.